Thread: Umphrey’s McGee Best Live and Studio Album?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Umphrey’s McGee Best Live and Studio Album?

Umphrey’s McGee has announced a new, upcoming studio album. Recorded during lockdown and if I understand correctly, meant to sound like a live album. Or something.

I’ve only seen UM once, and only listened to a couple of live recordings and studio albums, so what are your favorite UM PHYSICAL live album and favorite studio album?

I know the studio album Mantis pretty well, so if that’s your favorite, give me your second-favorite.

(Hello, Gerhard and Jeff! 😀 )

Umphrey's is a weird animal for me, i have a few of their studio albums floating around but i don't listen to them a whole lot. I have seen them numerous times and have really gotten to know them through their live shows more than their releases.
    I can recommend Anchor Drops and Mantis, everything else is very good to excellent. I'm not familiar with any live albums but what i can tell you is whenever you see an Umprey's show you don't know what to expect, songlist change daily, versions of studio cuts are different - they just kind of do whatever the hell they want and do it great.
    Something they did that was really cool was record every show and have it available for sale the next day on their website.

A very talented group of guys for sure!

Mantis I like quite a bit, but my favourites would be Anchor Drops and Local Band Does OK. I like everything up through Death By Stereo. After that, I kind of dropped off the apple cart, as they seemed to veer further away from prog influences and more towards straight ahead rock. YMMV.

Neil

I liked Anchor Drops a lot, then bought the next few and liked each less than the one before, so I drifted away, and never saw them live. Maybe I will check out this new record.

Big big Umphrey’s fan here. Their bass player is from my hometown and Jake the guitarist is from just down the road a bit. They used to play Bells’ Brewery here in town to practically nobody when they first started out. I have all their studio albums. To my knowledge they only have 2 official live albums. “Live At The Murat” is probably the best of them. It shows more their jam band side as opposed to their prog side, but it is still good. For studio albums my favorite is “Mantis” where they really bring the prog. The fan favorites seem to be either “Local Band Does Ok” or “Anchor Drops” both of which are good too. I like all their studio albums for the most part with “Safety In Numbers” being my least favorite. They also have some excellent DVD’s out with the “Live At Red Rocks” one being my favorite. Glad to hear they have a new one coming
    Last edited by SteveSly; 05-29-2021 at 09:47 AM.

I really like the live album of covers called All Night Wrong. They do a great version of the Stones I Miss You. Also Rock the Casbah and Hey Nineteen.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I really like the live album of covers called All Night Wrong. They do a great version of the Stones I Miss You. Also Rock the Casbah and Hey Nineteen.
    Never even heard of it, but will have to check it out.

Mantis and Anchor Drops

Similar Skin and Safety in Numbers I'd include after that.

Zonkey is a fun live record with cool/unsusual Mashups.

Zonkey is a blast. Very creative mash-ups of songs you know. It's a studio album, not live.

I'd also recommend studio album Local Band Does OK as having perhaps their strongest material.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Zonkey is a blast. Very creative mash-ups of songs you know. It's a studio album, not live.

I'd also recommend studio album Local Band Does OK as having perhaps their strongest material.
    I agree Zonkey is a lot of fun.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    (Hello, Gerhard and Jeff! �� )
    I meant Ken, not Jeff! Sorry, Ken!

Unsurprisingly, I favor the live albums. Live at The Murat (from I think 2007) immediately springs to mind.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    "Mantis" and "Similar Skin" for me.
    Chad