Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack O' The Clock - Leaving California

Quote Originally Posted by betty humpter View Post
    Just listen to the sophistication of the arrangements!
    I took your advice!

My usual entry point into a JotC composition is the rhythm section--and I think for good reason! This album is far less focussed on the rhythm section. It's more straightforward in that regard (I wonder if that's what others are hearing, too).

There are little moments that are just awesome.

The guitar solo (sounds like a hollow-body? I don't pretend to be an expert) about five minutes in to "The Butcher" that just seems to bob and weave the other instruments. There's a lot going on in that section!

The instrumentation of "Quarter-Page Ad" that provides a sea of interactions on which the vox rise and fall.

That slide guitar on "Leaving California" is all sorts of perfect.

The constant descent of the closing section of "Narrow Gate." You think it's got to end. I'm not sure it does.

The artwork of blurred motion in the foreground giving way to the permanence of the hills in the back--it all makes sense.

There's definitely a lot going on with this album that I certainly didn't hear on the first few listens.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    As is usually the case.with this kind of stuff it continues to grow on me with each listen.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I took your advice!

My usual entry point into a JotC composition is the rhythm section--and I think for good reason! This album is far less focussed on the rhythm section. It's more straightforward in that regard (I wonder if that's what others are hearing, too).

There are little moments that are just awesome.

The guitar solo (sounds like a hollow-body? I don't pretend to be an expert) about five minutes in to "The Butcher" that just seems to bob and weave the other instruments. There's a lot going on in that section!

The instrumentation of "Quarter-Page Ad" that provides a sea of interactions on which the vox rise and fall.

That slide guitar on "Leaving California" is all sorts of perfect.

The constant descent of the closing section of "Narrow Gate." You think it's got to end. I'm not sure it does.

The artwork of blurred motion in the foreground giving way to the permanence of the hills in the back--it all makes sense.

There's definitely a lot going on with this album that I certainly didn't hear on the first few listens.
    Awesome post!! These guys are on a whole other level.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.