Thread: Forgotten UK 60/70s horror/supernatural/fantasy series/films

Banned

Forgotten UK 60/70s horror/supernatural/fantasy series/films

The good atmospheric stuff.
    No slasher rubbish.

Speaking of, I just watched "Tower of Evil" (aka "Horror of Snape Island"). '72 - one of the earliest slasher films.
    Lots of nudity on a tiny deserted lighthouse island. Teen "archeologists" in search of Phoenician treasure.
    Actor Derek Fowlds ( Yes Minister, Oscar on Heartbeat) looking young and not so half bad here.
    Handsome Valentine and suave Dennis Price in small roles.

Banned
    Murrain '75 part of ITV series, 'Against the Crowd' .

Nigel Kneale (Beasts,Quatermass,etc) so you know its going to be worthy.

"Murrain" is an ancient word for infectious disease (plague) effecting cattle.

Here a veterinarian comes to a small northern village to look into a strange disease running through a pig farm. Its unlike anything he knows.

The water source has dried-up and a village child has come down with a mysterious disease.

The villagers think its the doings of an old woman living alone on a small hill next the village. A witch they say. They are afraid to cross onto her land. They want her out so they are starving her .
    Typical of Kneale, this is science vs superstition. The vet is appalled when they ask him to throw crossroads dirt over her. He pays the woman a visit. He - and you the watcher - feel pity ...but there is something else...

It ends ambiguously.

I don't know if it was monetary reason or not, many of these British programs had sparse or nil soundtracks. This makes it seem all the more real.

Banned
    ACE OF WANDS childrens fantasy series '70-'72

Now this one is more than forgotten - its 2/3 erased! Lost forever to time. Only the last (3rd) series remains due to Thames TV greed having the first two seasons wiped so as to save shekels since videotape was rather expensive back then. Can you imagine? Truly barbaric.

Tarot is a stage magician that uses his powers to go against arch villains. Actor Tony Selby (Mulberry series) was one sidekick.
    And let us not forget Ozymandias the owl.

Excellent popsike intro music by Andy Bown(Status Quo,Judas Jump,The Herd).

Banned
    CHILDREN OF THE STONES '77 7 episodes

Deemed the most frightening Brit childrens program of the era

Megalithic stone circle.
    I won't give away the plot.

Gareth Thomas (How Green Was My Valley) . Iian Cuthbertson (The Stone Tape)

Banned
    TO KILL A KING

Alan Garner was, in the opinion of many, the foremost writer of children's fiction in the 70s. "Weirdstone of Brisingham" was one of the first fantasys I read after Lord of the Rings.
    Call him a childrens author but his novels are deeper/darker than that. Definitely a childrens writer for adults.

To Kill A King was reputably filmed in his sparse house (with non-chimney fireplace).

A very slow-moving half hour last episode of the series,I believe , "Leap In The Dark".

A man is experiencing writer's-block then starts spontaneously writing mystic sentences. When he shows the paper to someone, its gobbly-gook. A medieval-times female spirit is feeding him the lines - or is it something else.

Pauline Yates (Fall & Rise Of Reginald Perrin) and Bates (Beasts) who looks a lot like he could be Judy Dench's father, but isn't.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus Nym View Post
    The good atmospheric stuff.
    No slasher rubbish.

Speaking of, I just watched "Tower of Evil" (aka "Horror of Snape Island"). '72 - one of the earliest slasher films.
    Lots of nudity on a tiny deserted lighthouse island. Teen "archeologists" in search of Phoenician treasure.
    Actor Derek Fowlds ( Yes Minister, Oscar on Heartbeat) looking young and not so half bad here.
    Handsome Valentine and suave Dennis Price in small roles.
    Hmm.

The eons are closing
    While it may not qualify:

I first saw Phantom of the Paradise w/ paul Williams dubbed into Spanish on a tiny TV in my abuelas kitchen in Galicia back in late 70s at 11pm at night when I was 9.

As you can tell it still resonates. In a messed up way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    While it may not qualify:

I first saw Phantom of the Paradise w/ paul Williams dubbed into Spanish on a tiny TV in my abuelas kitchen in Galicia back in late 70s at 11pm at night when I was 9.

As you can tell it still resonates. In a messed up way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Pretty wild movie. I saw it many times back then, but only once as an adult. I honestly can't say how well it holds up after all these years, but it was definitely stylishly interesting.

Growing up, I always liked those 60s-70s B-horror movies like "Don't Look in the Basement," and "Let's Scare Jessica to Death." But, once again, it's been decades since I've seen them and I'm pretty sure I'd be underwhelmed today.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What was the OP's infraction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What was the OP's infraction?
    Pure speculation, but maybe they guessed his identity.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection