Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The hiking thread

Definately the most alien place I have ever visited. Its on Socotra.

Anyone did any hiking this year? I'd say its a perfect social distancing activity

I did two major week long hikes this year. Both in Switzerland

One in Berner Oberland in July with and old buddy

DSC06458.jpg

Link to album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2z9h4CnvsY6tYCxd6

And one in Alpstein region early September with the wife

DSC06635.jpg

Link to album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CsjoJBz4WUcr9nAt9

Getting out on the trails keeps me sane these hard times. That and listening to good music.

Anyone else did something they like to share?
    Last edited by thedunno; 10-27-2020 at 05:07 AM.

I did a backpacking trip 9 days ago...to the Chiricahua Mountains in SE Arizona. My favorite spot there is at 9200’ and has a grand view. I was pleased I could still carry my very heavy pack and get there in my usual time. The aspens were still changing but mostly past their peak.

I just had my 2nd knee replacement and one of my big hopes is that I can get back into hiking next summer.

Banned
    In a way I lucked out. I started hiking 3 years ago, about 6 months before I retired. Started with meetup groups and since the pandemic been learning trails here in MD. 5-9 miles a day.

Hiking's been pretty much my only fun since March, except for family stuff (which is not always fun anyway, with an overly wild 5-year-old daughter). Record stores shut down, can't do any live music here in Austin, Texas. The problem now that it's cooler (finally!) is the drought: most of the creeks are bone-dry. I depend on the sound of the water to drown out the city sounds as well as soothe my brain. I've actually gone to the extreme of damming up the creeks that are still flowing right above the waterfall, so that next time I come I can release the water and create a louder waterfall that lasts 20 minutes or so... Hey, you did notice that "weird" is part of my user name (actually, it's because of the very strange electronic music I do).

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Anyone did any hiking this year? I'd say its a perfect social distancing activity

I did two major week long hikes this year. Both in Switzerland

One in Berner Oberland in July with and old buddy

DSC06458.jpg

Link to album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2z9h4CnvsY6tYCxd6

And one in Alpstein region early September with the wife

DSC06635.jpg

Link to album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CsjoJBz4WUcr9nAt9

Getting out on the trails keeps me sane these hard times. That and listening to good music.

Anyone else did something they like to share?
    Damn, you always go on the best hikes! Awesome pictures - thanks for posting.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    In a way I lucked out. I started hiking 3 years ago, about 6 months before I retired. Started with meetup groups and since the pandemic been learning trails here in MD. 5-9 miles a day.
    Chris, are you familiar with the Mountain Club of Maryland? It's a hiking club out of Baltimore. They've been around for a while (about 85 years ) and have a ton of hikes. The current schedule lists over 100 hikes through out the region, ranging from super-easy to super-tough. (During Covid, only members can see the schedule). Their hikes are on Wed. mornings for retirees (many are easy, some are surprisingly tough), and on weekends.

The web site:
    https://mcomd.org/

I can't tell you how many 100s of miles I've hiked with them. Great group of people!
    Regards,

Duncan

I'll be hitting the trails quite hard this winter, gearing up for a small clamber up this berg in September:

(Mount Rainier.)

The climb was supposed to have happened a month ago, but Covid closed it down - so we're booked (and paid for) the same time next year.

Fairly technical : Crampons, ice axes, helmets, rope teams, etc. So I gotta get in shape.
    Regards,

Duncan

(BTW - I've changed the name of the thread - it isn't the "2013" hiking thread any more )
    Regards,

Duncan

I think most of us miss 2013 right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I'll be hitting the trails quite hard this winter, gearing up for a small clamber up this berg in September:

(Mount Rainier.)

The climb was supposed to have happened a month ago, but Covid closed it down - so we're booked (and paid for) the same time next year.

Fairly technical : Crampons, ice axes, helmets, rope teams, etc. So I gotta get in shape.
    Post some pictures when you've done that!

I did a lot of mountaineering when I was young. Even took 3 mountaineering courses. When my team of mountaineering buddies fell apart (due to carreers, marriage, kids etc.) I switched to long mountain treks which i could do independently and later with my wife.

Never was a group person. I always try to avoid the crowds. Hiking for me is the perfect activity to get away from the stresses of modern life so I can clear my head a bit. Groups and crowds do not seem to fit into that.
    Last edited by thedunno; 10-28-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Actually I was supposed to fly to the Southwest of the USA a little over a week from now. Bought my tickets already in january. Was planning a short multiple day hike in Zion. I scored a permit for Havasupai. Planned some long hikes in the grand canyon and Bryce.

None of that is going to happen. And those 400 dollar a person permits for havasupai are non refundable.....

Actually I was supposed to fly to the Southwest of the USA a little over a week from now. Bought my tickets already in january. Was planning a short multiple day hike in Zion. I scored a permit for Havasupai. Planned some long hikes in the grand canyon and Bryce.

None of that is going to happen. And those 400 dollar a person permits for havasupai are non refundable.....
    Oh man! Terrible. It would have been stupendous.
    Can you not sell the permit on-line??

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Oh man! Terrible. It would have been stupendous.
    Can you not sell the permit on-line??
    They offer to rescedule for next year. Then I can put it up for sale. Still a long time to get your money back.

Still strange. Havasupai closed for the whole season. I would expect them to be legally obliged to refund reservations.

They offer to rescedule for next year. Then I can put it up for sale. Still a long time to get your money back.

Still strange. Havasupai closed for the whole season. I would expect them to be legally obliged to refund reservations.
    Well, the Indian systems are often completely different and are held to different rules than traditional businesses.

The Phoenix area is a great place to hike, if one only has a couple of hours to kill. Every time I transfer from the train to a bus, or versa vice at the Tempe Transit Center, I look up ASU "A" Mountain at all the hikers. They spend some time taking in the view of Tempe Town lake, Downtown Tempe, and the old abandoned Tempe Flour Mill, after which the main thoroughfare Mill Avenue was named. That's just one mountain. There's also Piestewa Peak, North Mountain Park, and the granddaddy of them all...South Mountain Park, with its grand vistas of Phoenix.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The Phoenix area is a great place to hike.
    But isnt it extremely hot for a large part of the year? I actually had planned two hikes in the Superstitions for this November. Area looks spectacular.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Chris, are you familiar with the Mountain Club of Maryland? It's a hiking club out of Baltimore. They've been around for a while (about 85 years ) and have a ton of hikes. The current schedule lists over 100 hikes through out the region, ranging from super-easy to super-tough. (During Covid, only members can see the schedule). Their hikes are on Wed. mornings for retirees (many are easy, some are surprisingly tough), and on weekends.

The web site:
    https://mcomd.org/

I can't tell you how many 100s of miles I've hiked with them. Great group of people!

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Banned
    But isnt it extremely hot for a large part of the year? I actually had planned two hikes in the Superstitions for this November. Area looks spectacular.
    Last April, we went across country and my friend had a high school friend on the west side. We first camp and hiked Usery mountain and White Tank mountain, it certainly was comfortable. April is a beautiful time to hike the Southwest, and 2019 had received a lot more rain than normal. Incredible bloom. Especially in San Diego county, CA. We went to Anza-Borrego State park and it was amazing, billions of butterflies. Out dog got a briar in his foot and my significant other watched him while walked back to the RV and drove back around. Butterflies on a Windshield, big time. Couldn't go slow enough to avoid them. I'll put some pics up, but I need to switch to the other interface.

But isnt it extremely hot for a large part of the year?
    Even then, on most summer days, its less hot enough in the morning to complete a 2 hour hike before it starts getting too hot. The only days on which hiking is precluded would be 115 degree days, when morning lows are in the 90s.

Speaking of the Superstitions and the Netherlands: many people have gotten lost deeper in the Superstitions, searching for the "Lost Dutchman's" Gold Mine.
    Last edited by progmatist; 10-29-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Even then, on most summer days, its less hot enough in the morning to complete a 2 hour hike before it starts getting too hot. The only days on which hiking is precluded would be 115 degree days, when morning lows are in the 90s.

Speaking of the Superstitions and the Netherlands: many people have gotten lost deeper in the Superstitions, searching for the "Lost Dutchman's" Gold Mine.
    I can’t imagine in Az on a day with a high of 115 (low of 90), that would be worse than a day in Baltimore with a high of 95 and 98% humidity, with mid 70s at 6 AM.

Anyway we spent time in Sedona, Tucson and Phoenix. Obviously Sedona is much nicer and absolutely has beautiful weather in April, but I would chose Tucson over Phoenix because of the higher altitude and lower humidity. People don’t think there is humidity in Phoenix, but since agriculture and horticulture have impacted Phoenix, it does make a difference. Still much lower humidity than the mid Atlantic.

My wife told me to go take a hike, does that count.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My wife told me to go take a hike, does that count.[emoji38]
    Only if you actually did.
    Last edited by thedunno; 10-30-2020 at 03:26 AM.

I took a bit of a vacation back in August. It allowed for, among other things, a day trip up to the Emigrant Wilderness for a hike in the mountains.

118176675_3240006669420919_128779792769865436_n.jpg
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...