Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mahavishnu - The Lost Trident Sessions

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    I don't remember Gayle Moran's vocals here, but that's probably because I never made it through the entire album. I do enjoy her vocals on Visions of the Emerald Beyond.
    I like Apocalypse a lot, and I looove VotEB. And yeah, that "Let me fulfill thy will" stuff is almost enough to make me find Jesus or Vishnu or somebody. Almost.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY steadfastly available! NOW ALSO ON VINYL!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't care for the orchestration, but Gayle Moran's vocals are to me a letdown on every album where she opens her mouth.
    Perhaps if she just wouldn't "open her mouth" you might like her vocals better.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Gayle only sings on one track of Apocalypse. The last track is my favorite.
    Yes, that almost 20 minute closing track is something else again. JM really shines on that cut.

The book Yesstories by Tim Morse had a section where he asked members of the band about their favorite albums. I thought it was Trevor Rabin who mentioned Apocalypse, but I don't have that book anymore.
    I do have it, and here are the results of the query:

It's indeed Trevor Rabin, who listed Apocalypse.
    His full list is as follows:
    1. Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture cond. Leonard Bernstein
    2. Rachmaninov c minor (=2nd piano concerto) played by Ashkenazy
    3. Paganini caprices played by Heifetz
    4. Any Schönberg
    5. Apocalypse
    6. Hendrix – Electric Ladyland
    7. Simon & Garfunkel – Bookends
    8. The Bulgarian (Women's) Choir
    9. Anything by Oscar Peterson
    10. Rimsky-Korsakov – Sheherazade
    11. Antonio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina – Elis and Tom

Now for Patrick Moraz, his list is much longer and I will just quote the titles:
    Bach Suite b minor and 48 Preludes by Keith Jarrett, All of Keith Jarrett especially Paris Concert and Bremen Lausanne Concert or Vienna. Yes Relayer and Moody Blues Long Distance Voyager as souvenirs. Some Oscar Peterson, John Coltrane - Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, Stravinsky - Rite of Spring, Chopin Nocturnes, Liszt - one rhapsody or piano concerto, all of Beethoven except Missa Solemnis, some Hendrix like Electric Ladyland, Sex Pistols - their first single, Peter Gabriel - So, some Sting, world music from Africa, Brazil, China, Japan, Bali etc., Bach b minor Mass, Weather Report - Heavy Weather, Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine Live, Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti, Crosby, Stills & Nash - first record, Zappa - his last record, '71 Fillmore and all of his later stuff, Lucy's Sleeping for two pianos. Some other Yes, maybe Close To The Edge. The Refugee album.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    Zappa - his last record, '71 Fillmore and all of his later stuff, Lucy's Sleeping for two pianos.
    He meant "Ruth Is Sleeping" from The Yellow Shark.

I know, I just wanted to quote verbatim.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    I know, I just wanted to quote verbatim.
    Thanks for the quotes. I remember the most interesting lists were from Rabin, Moraz and Peter Banks.

Thank you sincerely for this information.
    I bought one off of Discogs.

It’s not HUGELY different, but I am very happy to now own it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The book Yesstories by Tim Morse had a section where he asked members of the band about their favorite albums. I thought it was Trevor Rabin who mentioned Apocalypse, but I don't have that book anymore.
    Yeah, Rabin's apparently a big McLaughlin fan. I recall in the Yesyears documentary, there's a bit where he was talking about how he was asked to perform with McLaughlin in LA or wherever. He said his manager asked if he wanted to do it and Trevor said "Yes! Stupid question!", but apparently he was contractual barred from doing it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    At this moment I'm listening to Apocalypse, which to me is really a step in the wrong direction. And I really hate is if Gayle Moran opens her mouth to sing.
    I really liked “Hymn to Him,” but to me that’s the only time the orchestra-plus-fusion concept works. And Gayle Moran’s aspiring stage-musical singer voice is just stomach-turning, and sticks out like a sore thumb on a jazz album.

True story, Michael Tilson Thomas was the conductor for the local orchestra here for a while.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Thank you sincerely for this information.
    I bought one off of Discogs.

It’s not HUGELY different, but I am very happy to now own it.
    Glad to have passed on the info. Yes, not very different but it has a few more details about how they played.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    . Mahavishnu Orchestra were one of the originators (maybe THE originator) of 'big dick' music
    I like to call it "playing like your pants are on fire". Personally, I prefer McLaughlin's work wtih Miles. I mean, man, those power chords on Right Off...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I like it, even though it's unfinished with a rough mix and zero production.

Before relistening to it, this was my take. A very solid album which I liked but didn't love. After listening to it again, it has definitely moved up a few notches for me. Dream is fucking amazing, and even the shorter songs I liked more than I remembered. That said, it definitely has an unfinished vibe which dents slightly, but I'd still give it a very strong 4/5.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm just throwing this in here rather than start a new thread; I've been picking my jaw up off the floor watching Cobham's spectacular performance here.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk