Thread: My "Homemade" Genesis Box Sets

My "Homemade" Genesis Box Sets

Hello friends -

As someone who purchased the Genesis vinyl box sets of the re-releases last decade, I wanted to make a few "homemade" sets to fill in some of the gaps. I thought I'd share some pics of this project. I obtained used boxes from some older classical music box sets, then donated the LPs within them to charity shops. I then painted over the boxes and used adhesive to place photo cards of the contents. Just a silly project for fun but I like the results. Here is what I created:

Genesis 1968 - 1970: Contains FGTR and a boot LP set of 1970s radio sessions
    Genesis Live Collection 1972 - 1975: Contains several boot LPs from that era (TAKRL, Wizardo, etc.)
    Genesis Live Collection 1976 - 1984: Also contains several boot LPs from that era

Although there are tons of great live torrents out there, I still find a nostalgic charm in these boot LPs. Some have torn covers and questionable sound quality, but they remind me of my youth tracking down live recordings and have that gritty, dark quality to them. I don't always listen to them, but I figured I'd give them a box set home like the "official" records have.

A few pics below.

What about you? Do you have any homemade sets / cover art / containers for your memorabilia? Please share!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's really cool!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I don't have any home made box sets, but I do have all the boots you have pictured, except for Afterglow, which is outside of my collecting timeline.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I used to have the bottom 2 from your 1976-84 box from when I first got into Genesis. Sounded crappy and the discs had no labels. Never listened to them after switching to buying all CD's in 1985. Hauled them around through several house moves. Finally sold them last year to a collectibles record store.

I own "As Though Emerald City". I was soooo excited about that boot as a kid, probably the first boot I owned. Played it over and over, no matter the sound quality and imagined what it must have been like to have been at that show.

My first college teaching position was at USC in the 1990s. My parking garage was literally right across the street from the Shrine Auditorium and I walked in there once when the doors happened to be open and looked around, thinking about that old Genesis show.

Nice job with your boxes BTW... I never tried anything that professional to house my collection.

Really impressive! Nice job.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. This was a fun project to do and reminiscing about those old boot LPs is great.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I own "As Though Emerald City". I was soooo excited about that boot as a kid, probably the first boot I owned. Played it over and over, no matter the sound quality and imagined what it must have been like to have been at that show.
    That boot was also my first one, and like you I played it to death. My tiny brain didn't realize how tracks could be edited on those LPs in different ways and for quite awhile I wondered how "Watcher" could transition into "Lilywhite Lilith" live onstage and how Peter could get out of the bat wings into Rael's costume so quickly. I was too dumb to realize it was simply tracks that were edited and placed in a different order! Ah, my brainless moments....in my defense I was an early teen and had much to learn.

I discovered Genesis later than most (around 1987) and really didn't get into the boot world until about 1991 or so. Thanks to Goldmine magazine I was able to acquire some live shows, then trade with other collectors and make some great friends through the mail. Remember waiting by the mailbox for live LPs or cassettes / VHS to show up from other traders and fans? I miss that sometimes.

As for the boot LPs, I'd try and scour local record shops who could occasionally have one hiding, or again, order from a collector in Goldmine. One record shop in San Antonio had crates of boot LPs and placed them in the "Employees Only" section at the back of the store. They'd have the door open though and knew if you asked for them it was fine to sift through the boxes. Bought quite a few from there. Clinton Heylin's book about the boot industry was also a great read. Came across Armando Gallo's book "I Know What I Like" in a small bookstore by my old Church around 1994 for so for only $10. Those little treasures along the way helped educate me in my Genesis journey.

Great times! And the journey continues...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I own "As Though Emerald City". I was soooo excited about that boot as a kid, probably the first boot I owned.
    My copy is long gone (I sold off most of my bootlegs a few years back), but it had a different cover from the one shown: mine had the Slipperman cover, in brown.

Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY steadfastly available! NOW ALSO ON VINYL!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    What about you? Do you have any homemade sets / cover art / containers for your memorabilia? Please share!
    Love DIY projects like this! Good work!! I love your process throughout. The black with gold border is tops! Do you plan on doing more for other parts of your music collection?

Here is a thread from years ago where we discussed alt. box sets:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...anese-CD-Boxes

I get more involved with full graphics and hi-res printing, but that is because I have the resources available. I have only now begun to construct custom LP box sets to house my collection. Previously, I was concentrating on CD boxes because I was tired of seeing the same CD spines on my shelves.

It would be great if more music fans jumped into these types of DIY projects.

The eons are closing
    I recall that thread Gruno - I even thought of PMing you to hire your expertise! lol

Loved you LIVE box sets pics.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Love DIY projects like this! Good work!! I love your process throughout. The black with gold border is tops! Do you plan on doing more for other parts of your music collection?

Here is a thread from years ago where we discussed alt. box sets:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...anese-CD-Boxes

I get more involved with full graphics and hi-res printing, but that is because I have the resources available. I have only now begun to construct custom LP box sets to house my collection. Previously, I was concentrating on CD boxes because I was tired of seeing the same CD spines on my shelves.

It would be great if more music fans jumped into these types of DIY projects.
    Oh wow your stuff is awesome Gruno !! That looks even better than the official releases! Yes please keep us posted if you do LP art too. Your CD stuff is outstanding, I may "borrow" some of your ideas. I toyed with doing just a few for homemade CD box sets. Right now I only made those 3 LP boxes, that's all I've done so far, but I have other artists with multiple records and CDs (Passport, Marillion, Peter Gabriel, etc.) that I might try out.

I've never 'owned' it in a physical sense, but I do know ...Emerald City has a few things which have never been released. From the Shrine, you get the actual 'It' played there and a terrific, fiery 'The Musical Box'/'Watcher' encore. Obviously the other Shrine tracks will not have Gabriel's overdubs, too. I prefer the mix generally on these tracks to the Archive mix of the show...it's more exciting, I think. A pity the whole show isn't 'around' with that mix.

'Twilight Alehouse' is also the original single mix, which didn't have that 'weeping' guitar line from Hackett. I'm not sure when this guitar line was added, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I recall that thread Gruno - I even thought of PMing you to hire your expertise! lol

Anytime, lemme know! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Oh wow your stuff is awesome Gruno !! That looks even better than the official releases! Yes please keep us posted if you do LP art too. Your CD stuff is outstanding, I may "borrow" some of your ideas. I toyed with doing just a few for homemade CD box sets. Right now I only made those 3 LP boxes, that's all I've done so far, but I have other artists with multiple records and CDs (Passport, Marillion, Peter Gabriel, etc.) that I might try out.
    If my method helps, have at it! I can detail a bit of the process...

I use magnetic closure boxes: https://www.usbox.com/Boxes/Premium-...t-Boxes/1LV-X/
    If you go that method, that website has some of the best prices I have seen, plus you do not need to order in bulk. They have flat $15 shipping, so I try to order at least 10 pieces to make it worthwhile. Do sign up for their email list and check the site often as they do run promotions with 50% off shipping.

I chose my ideal size for CD and tore it apart to make a template.

Then, I insert my design and go from there. For a lot of my stuff I actually digitally recreate the band logos. It was difficult to find crisp artwork for some things like the original Van Halen logo. I also recreated the Van Halen exterminator guy as there were no hi-res images to locate. Here is a sample of my Live logos. Until recently, they used to have different logo with each album they released. I decided to reconstruct all of their logos. Side note: the band Live and their management asked me to send them the files as all the original artwork has been destroyed over the years. Any vintage logos they now use are from these recreations.

After I am content with the design, I output on calendared vinyl.

A gloss laminate overlay is the final step before trimming and applying. Overall, it's one huge decal that I overlay onto the box. Precision work and little-to-no room for error, so it does take some skill. I've completed roughly 30+ to date. I have also made some with non-music themes and gifted them to others to use for whatever they choose. I have a few larger boxes that I purchased to house some music collections that have oversized CD packages and DVD/BluRay. I am looking forward to doing some LP boxes, so this thread is getting me back into that mindset.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    It was a great thread!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Mister Triscuits, your version of ATEC was the original. The one in the OP was a reissue, albeit only a few years later.