Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Kevin Gilbert left us 25 years ago today.

  1. #1

    Kevin Gilbert left us 25 years ago today.

    Incredible that is has been so long ago. A extremely sad loss that l thought should be remarked upon. A sweet, funny, smart, unbelievably talented guy. An incalculable loss.

  2. #2
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twin Peaks
    Posts
    412
    And about a month ago, his estate finally released the final set of recordings "Call me Kai"...if you don't include the deluxe edition of Shaming of the true that is coming out.
    I wonder if he would have got the vocalist spot in Genesis, had he still been around when his manager got the call?

  3. #3
    Dave Kerzner/Squids opined, no way, he would've been basically too strong a personality for Banks & Rutherford to accommodate.
    And the playful trashing of the ghettoblaster playing ‚Invisible Touch’ during the intro of the Giraffe Lamb show maybe not being the ideal calling card either.
    At least that's what he told either during the Giraffe episode of the Kevin Gilbert podcast or the SOAL episode about KG, I don't recall.

    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...zner-amp-Cotey
    https://youtu.be/1QBJjhRFTto

    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ilbert-Podcast
    https://youtu.be/48RXRq073Bc
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

    εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

  4. #4
    I think it could have gone either (or 3) ways. It could have been a disaster, a bombastically fruitful collaboration, or Kevin may have died anyway.
    Something was certainly afoot as l have never heard why NDV ended up playing with them which was obviously no coincidence.
    Anyway, the thing to focus on today, l think, is just Kevin himself, and that he has been gone for 25 years, and that fuckin' sucks.
    If he could only have gray hair and see the commonplace horrors.....

  5. #5
    Member PotatoSolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    38
    A huge loss and an enormous talent.

    I was listening to some of his stuff recently and it's definitely the voice of someone in their 20s. I'd love to hear what he might have come up with had he matured and aged.

  6. #6
    A really nice guy. I had the pleasure of talking with Kevin at some length in 1991 when I was working at an audio post-production studio where he was helping mix a film soundtrack he scored (can't even possibly remember what it was). At the time, I only knew him as the "Toy Matinee guy", because he appeared several times on the Mark & Brian radio show in L.A. to promote it.

    He was shocked to learn that I'd actually seen the video for "Last Plane Out" on MTV, since it only was aired a handful of times, according to him.

  7. #7
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    923
    yeah, 25 years.

    Call Me Kai and the Shaming Deluxe may not be the last of what they have to release, but as a fan, getting those and the Giraffe Box, I'm pretty happy.

    I did babble on YouTube today about it, mostly my history with his music. The Genesis thing, I've come to feel likely would not have happened, but he may have worked with Genesis in some capacity at least. Playing live, or maybe guesting or producing their record.


  8. #8
    I had the honor and hilarious privilege to be the lighting tech at Progfest 95, and he couldn't have been more gracious to a weekend warrior. Right before Spock's Beard kicked off the festival l said l was a little nervous...you have to know the 'Kevin face' for this to be funny...he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Man, don't worry! If you fuck up it'll be on video until the end of time"!
    That was so much the *wrong* thing to say at that moment, that l collapsed in laughter...l got a jolt of his confidence!
    The next night he showed up with 3 packs of B&H Ultra Lights (what l smoked at the time, and we went through all 3). It still freaks me out, that l was in his brain, and he thought on the way there, that he needed to pick us up some smokes.
    The last night, before the last act, Pendragon, he said he had to go (and the sound being so bad is why they aren't on the PD 95 CD). I asked if l could go with him and he said no but he would see me tomorrow. This was back when that dumb Budweiser commercial was popular, and he said 'l love you man'!, and kissed me on the lips.
    And never saw him again, of course.

  9. #9
    I met Kevin several times...at ProgFest '95 (he signed my "The View From Here" CD there) and at the old Round Sounds store in Redondo Beach, CA. Nice guy indeed!!!

    There is at least (???) one more set of songs to be released on CD (hopefully...fingers crossed) from the NRG days. It's current only available as a download on Amazon as "No Reasons Given, Vol. 1 (Extended)".

    https://www.amazon.com/No-Reasons-Gi.../dp/B08GP6DD6L

    Contains the full NRG CD (released of course) and some bonus tracks: *** unreleased on CD. Not sure if "Suitcase Living" and "Rain Suite" are the same already released versions.

    Suitcase Living 4:32
    Rain Suite (A. If Ever Rain Will Fall) 4:07
    Rain Suite (B. Broken Ties) 4:09
    ***Mephisto's Tarantella 7:17
    *** Masques 8:18
    ***Schizophrenia 3:55
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

  10. #10
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    There is at least (???) one more set of songs to be released on CD (hopefully...fingers crossed) from the NRG days. It's current only available as a download on Amazon as "No Reasons Given, Vol. 1 (Extended)".
    NRG - No Reasons Given, Volume I is almost sold out at KevinGilbert.com. There will be no additional manufacturing of that title, or any title with NRG involved. NRG tracks that do not appear on CD will never appear on CD.

  11. #11
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Contains the full NRG CD (released of course) and some bonus tracks: *** unreleased on CD. Not sure if "Suitcase Living" and "Rain Suite" are the same already released versions.
    Any track titles that repeat from NRG-Call Me Kai-Giraffe-Nuts/Bolts all have different variations and/or mixes. For example, "Staring Into Nothing" originally appears on NRG. On Call Me Kai there are two additional versions. All three have differences and variations that separate them from each other. There are also additional remixes and alternates of some NRG tracks that were to be submitted for inclusion in various LP compilations that were popular at the time. Those remixes and alt tracks, as well as the NRG demos, will not see a release.

  12. #12
    Fair enough as far as multiple remixes, variations, etc. Not everything an artist records gets released...of course. This is common for any/all artists/bands. What has already been released from Kevin's vaults..."Call Me Kai", etc."...has been incredible and very welcome. Many share my "Thank you" for releasing these!!! And...so the other "released" track are different mixes? OK. I understand.

    "NRG tracks that do not appear on CD will never appear on CD."

    Why??? What about the 3 unreleased tracks I mentioned above? Why are these being held back?

    So how did Amazon get hold of these 6 tracks, especially the 3 unreleased ones? Is the estate allowing the downloads? OK if they are of course. They are awesome tracks but deserve a real CD release like all the others so far.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

  13. #13
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Fair enough as far as multiple remixes, variations, etc. Not everything an artist records gets released...of course. This is common for any/all artists/bands. What has already been released from Kevin's vaults..."Call Me Kai", etc."...has been incredible and very welcome. Many share my "Thank you" for releasing these!!! And...so the other "released" track are different mixes? OK. I understand.

    "NRG tracks that do not appear on CD will never appear on CD."

    Why??? What about the 3 unreleased tracks I mentioned above? Why are these being held back?

    So how did Amazon get hold of these 6 tracks, especially the 3 unreleased ones? Is the estate allowing the downloads? OK if they are of course. They are awesome tracks but deserve a real CD release like all the others so far.
    NRG (with additional tracks) has been officially released to streaming and online digital sales platforms. That rollout happened many months ago. Why won't those additional tracks be released on CD? Because they weren't supposed to be released at all. NRG (and Giraffe) on CD were a gift to us. Anything released concerning those titles is icing on a cake that was not supposed to be served.

    NRG was never supposed to be released in any format other than the original 500 LP lot. That is no secret and was openly said from Kevin. Kevin stated that he was going to release a Giraffe compilation and not do re-releases of the albums (noted documentation from Kevin), and NRG was only going to be the original LP run. In 2012 the estate agreed to release NRG and the two Giraffe albums on CD -- untouched and as they were originally released -- to satisfy the fans and to alleviate some of the burden fans were experiencing resulting from secondary market price gouging for the original titles. So, here we have 3 CDs that were never going to be released now seeing life with one production run each in 2012 -- and yet, you definitely know those discs were met with glee, but there sure was criticism for what they did not contain. At the time, it was somewhat disturbing to see a portion of the fanbase scoff at the packaging and that NRG did not have additional tracks included, a jewel case, booklet, etc. These three were put on CD and the consumer price tag was very low, but that was not good enough for some. It took a few years for the Giraffe discs to go out of print. Some years after, the box set was completed and again there was some of the same criticism received from the 2012 re-release.

    I welcome justified criticism. That's always healthy. It's a very fine line when others entangle fair criticism with their fantasy wish lists and wants. There's one fella who emails and posts on the official Facebook page stating his detailed criticism of each release. Paragraphs of how Kevin would not have released this title the way the estate did, how the credits should be formatted, which tracks to use. He often challenges the factual representation of credits provided. We have to weed through that garbage weekly, sometimes daily. He's just one example of the few, but very vocal. I have recalled this exchange prior, from a Kevin Gilbert email list some 20 or so years ago --the topic was discussed about certain titles not being released per Kevin's wishes. One fool wrote, "Kevin doesn't get a vote. He's dead." Thankfully those types of comments aren't the majority.

    We must not forget that for many years KevinGilbert.com offered a downloadable version of NRG, which also contained some additional tracks. All available for free.

    There have been numerous postings online and at KevinGilbert.com addressing the fact that no new media will be produced of existing titles. As of last week, there are a few titles that are barely in double-digit inventory. Some of those titles will eventually transition to streaming/download platforms. Some of those titles will not. NRG was released to streaming/download with bonus tracks, again, to hopefully satisfy fans who were wanting to obtain those unreleased tracks. I understand wanting music on fully mastered, factory-pressed CD. I would love that also. I would have enjoyed putting together a 3 disc NRG set (similar to thud and the upcoming multi-disc TSOTT) including video footage and a complete live performance. But that's fantasy on my part and not something that would have been realistic. Still, no matter how many times this is explained, there will be a subset of fans who will continue to carry criticism against the estate for not releasing things in the manner that they feel should be the way.

    As a fan (which I still remain) I am grateful that there are some quality releases that see the light of day. I think back to 2012 and wonder what would have happened if the vault was locked after NRG & Giraffe was released on CD. Thud 3CD/LP, The Lamb, Kai., etc., would not be around. However, those were too important to leave tucked away. I think we can all look at this list and be proud for the career Kevin had. If someone can look at this list of released material and find reason to complain, well, I don't know what else to say.



    For everyone reading this thread, I just popped in to clarify some things. I am sorry if my long explanations took away from the meaning of the thread. It's good to know people are still enjoying Kevin's music with threads such as these and I wanted to explain some backstory on the processes and give a better understanding. On a personal note, I (and some others) do not use this day as a day of remembrance. It's not a date I wish to remember. For some, it took many years to overcome the pain of Kevin's passing and others are still coping with its after effects. Today's silence is not something that is collectively agreed upon, it just sorta turned out that way for some. With these recent archive releases, along with the You Are Here episodes, they conjure up different emotions and feelings from those who knew Kevin or worked with him: happy, sad, frustrated, upset... all of the above? Sure. Everyone has a different gauge. I love the tributes and happiness others are feeling today in Kevin's name and I don't wish for those to stop. There has been a nice resurgence with people finding Kevin's music over the past couple of years. Overall, it's all good. I do wish there would be a stop the animosity towards Sheryl Crow. There's no need for it to continue. Keep listening to the music Kevin provided and enjoy it as much as you can.

  14. #14
    Thanks so much...all very well said!!! Whats a great list (above) all in one place. KUDOS!!!

    I am one of many that is indeed truly grateful for all the estate has released. Glad to know too that anything on Amazon is official.

    May Kevin and his legacy live on through his music and people's memories for many many years to come.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

  15. #15
    Great post and lots of valuable information!
    I think you can be considered one of the best vaultmeisters™ for any artist. Thanks!
    <and I'm not even that big of a Kevin Gilbert fan in the traditional sense, but appreciate his talent and works as a late adopter>
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

    εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I had the honor and hilarious privilege to be the lighting tech at Progfest 95, and he couldn't have been more gracious to a weekend warrior. Right before Spock's Beard kicked off the festival l said l was a little nervous...you have to know the 'Kevin face' for this to be funny...he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Man, don't worry! If you fuck up it'll be on video until the end of time"!
    That was so much the *wrong* thing to say at that moment, that l collapsed in laughter...l got a jolt of his confidence!
    The next night he showed up with 3 packs of B&H Ultra Lights (what l smoked at the time, and we went through all 3). It still freaks me out, that l was in his brain, and he thought on the way there, that he needed to pick us up some smokes.
    The last night, before the last act, Pendragon, he said he had to go (and the sound being so bad is why they aren't on the PD 95 CD). I asked if l could go with him and he said no but he would see me tomorrow. This was back when that dumb Budweiser commercial was popular, and he said 'l love you man'!, and kissed me on the lips.
    And never saw him again, of course.
    What a sweet gesture. That's such a lovely story. Certainly paints the picture of a sweetheart. So sad.

    His music continues to bring joy though and that's something to leave behind as one's legacy. Here's to his shinging spirit wherever it may now be.

    Wow, now i have to put on some KG: "Hi, John, it's Mel from Meglaphone. I've been listening to your tape for the 19th time, Oh that's another call - can I call you?"

    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

  17. #17
    Sorely missed, always. I also wonder what music would have come out of him over the decades.
    Thanks for all you left us, Kevin.

  18. #18
    Member yesman1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    A huge loss and an enormous talent.

    I was listening to some of his stuff recently and it's definitely the voice of someone in their 20s. I'd love to hear what he might have come up with had he matured and aged.
    Just looked at his Wiki page and I didn't realize that he passed so young. He did not even make it to 30. "A star that burns with twice the intensity only burns half as long" RIP 25 years down the line to a truly exceptional talent.

  19. #19
    Still makes me so sad to think about. He seemed like a genuinely nice person, and there aren't enough of those in this world.

    Thanks for sharing the stories and thoughts, everyone.

  20. #20
    I got to meet him twice. Once was at Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose/Santa Clara. He was doing a show at the Cabaret. He was just finishing dinner or drinks and we were there also getting a bite before the show. I told him how much I loved this music, he was very gracious. Another time our local radio station at the time, KOME had this thing called the Breakfast Club, they had it at this local bar to promote artist's new releases with a small live performance, and meet and greet. I had him sign my Giraffe CD. He was totally busting up at the picture of him in the inside of the CD and showed it to the other bandmates. (Like he had not seen it for years)

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by moorglade View Post
    I got to meet him twice. Once was at Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose/Santa Clara. He was doing a show at the Cabaret. He was just finishing dinner or drinks and we were there also getting a bite before the show. I told him how much I loved this music, he was very gracious. Another time our local radio station at the time, KOME had this thing called the Breakfast Club, they had it at this local bar to promote artist's new releases with a small live performance, and meet and greet. I had him sign my Giraffe CD. He was totally busting up at the picture of him in the inside of the CD and showed it to the other bandmates. (Like he had not seen it for years)
    Nice! I played San Jose Cabaret five times and saw Brand X there for the X Communication tour. Tickets won on KOME.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Nice! I played San Jose Cabaret five times and saw Brand X there for the X Communication tour. Tickets won on KOME.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice link with Kevin: he "Produced, engineered and mixed (...) for about the cost of a cup of coffee" the second CD from John Goodsall's band Fire Merchants, Landlords Of Atlantis, featuring Toss Panos on drums, who played with Kevin (and many others).

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Nice link with Kevin: he "Produced, engineered and mixed (...) for about the cost of a cup of coffee" the second CD from John Goodsall's band Fire Merchants, Landlords Of Atlantis, featuring Toss Panos on drums, who played with Kevin (and many others).
    I love both those albums! Wish I could have seen them live.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Thanks so much...all very well said!!! Whats a great list (above) all in one place. KUDOS!!!

    I am one of many that is indeed truly grateful for all the estate has released. Glad to know too that anything on Amazon is official.

    May Kevin and his legacy live on through his music and people's memories for many many years to come.
    Yes. Thank you. There's really a treasure trove here.

    I remember in the years immediately following his death there was a huge demand to get "Shaming" released but time was needed to find out what exactly was in the vault and also get the necessary permissions from the estate.

    Just speaking for myself, but more music has come out than I ever expected and maybe that's why his profile seems to have increased in the intervening years. Seems to be more demand for his music than there used to be which isn't a bad thing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •