Thread: Looking for a science fiction movie from the 2010's

Looking for a science fiction movie from the 2010's

Don't remember the name of a fairly recent film a saw a couple of years ago. It's about a woman who works for an industrial company who's sent to a distant and uninhabited planet where there's a small scientific outpost for the company that has become uncommunicated. When she gets there she finds out there are only two men left, and they could both be mad. She asks for help but when the company ship arrives it blows uo the whole compound, including the woman, to stop from spreading the virus which had caused the madness. Very good movie.

The eons are closing
    It sounds like Prometheus from Ridley Scott

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

^ That's what I thought. And it was a prequel to another movie, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ That's what I thought. And it was a prequel to another movie, iirc.
    It's a prequel to Alien.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Now, there's a movie that didn't need a "Prequel", as the 1979 "Alien" release was it's own epic Genesis point. However, the sequels "Aliens" and "Alien 3" were something else again and prove that sequels can be worthy and important, even with the original being such a outstanding flick like "Alien".

"Alien Resurrection" should not have been made in my view. I mean, Ripley coming back as a clone with acidic blood and super-human strength took the franchise beyond a suspension of belief aspect. "Alien 3" was quite dark and tough enough to enjoy, however, it still allowed Weaver to take the Ripley character further down the road in the fight against the creatures. When she jumped into the fire to sacrifice herself and the Alien embryo, that was a fine conclusion to the trilogy and a solid stepping off point for fans of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    It sounds like Prometheus from Ridley Scott

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    With all its flaws, there's a lot more to Prometheus than that, and no "company ship" arrives to destroy everything in the film's last act.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    With all its flaws, there's a lot more to Prometheus than that, and no "company ship" arrives to destroy everything in the film's last act.
    Indeed, neither does Alien Covenant (which came after that). Must be another movie.

Thanks for the replies. No, none of these is the movie I'm looking for, which I thought was better known. And it may have been released even inside the last 10 years. I saw it a couple of years ago, not sure if in one of the premium channels, or maybe SyFy.
    A few more recollections: the janitor or handyman she finds inside the compound seems to be a bit unhinged and not always makes sense when he's talking. Also, he is always carrying an accoustic guitar, strumming it, as he walks around all the time. In a review I read, I think it mentioned the director was known for his low budget films. The critic I read said that he (the critic) usually liked minimalist films and this was one of them, with just three actors, and that although it wasn't very original, the ending did pack an emotional wallop: when the woman, who has already lost a finger trying to fight off the mad scientist, goes outside the compound to welcome the arriving company ship she thinks has come to rescue her, and sees that, on the contrary, it's dropping a bomb to erradicate everything, including her, in order to contain the virus.

Found it! It's called 'Atomica' and its from 2017, more recent than I had thought. I recommend it wholeheartedly... its science fiction with 'soul', not just fireworks and special effects.