Thread: Curved Air and ELP make you smart and happy

Curved Air and ELP make you smart and happy

A recent study has shown that listening to Vivaldi's The Four Seasons makes you smart and another has shown that listening to Copland's Hoedown makes you happy.

http://www.psycontent.com/content/41...1733c665d&pi=0

http://www.psmag.com/blogs/news-blog...l-music-52318/

Wasn't there another study (I'm going from memory here) that showed it didn't matter what the music was? Just listening to music improves a person's well being it could be ambient or metal it didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkol View Post
    Wasn't there another study (I'm going from memory here) that showed it didn't matter what the music was? Just listening to music improves a person's well being it could be ambient or metal it didn't matter.
    The story I remember hearing pertained to all those "Mozart For Infants" CD's that came out about 10 years ago, that were supposed to boost your children's IQ or whatever. I saw an interview with the doctor who did the actual study that all of that stuff was based off. As it turns out, the guy had done the study with college students, not children (and certainly not infants). He found that playing Mozart caused a temporary boost short term memory, but that's all it was, temporary. So even the guy who did the study admitted it didn't really work.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Does Emerson rubbing the Moog ribbon controller on his crotch make you happy?

I saw Curved Air open for ELP. I must be an ecstatic genius!! Who knew?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkol View Post

The second link says that The Rite of Spring does nothing, but Copland does.

The Rite of Spring makes you angry and riot-y.

(if its concert debut is any indication!)
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Myself, i find listening to both prog and classical music encourages the intellect.
    Especially the symphonies of Bruckner and Mahler.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Does Emerson rubbing the Moog ribbon controller on his crotch make you happy?
    Well, it makes him happy.

Listening to Curved Air always makes me happy, not sure about the smarter part. I'm still waiting for them to cross the pond and come to the US.

I think Tales From Topographic Oceans must have an opposite effect, when I listen to that one I find I have no short-term memory at all.