Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: New Marillion Album on the Way

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    ^Did yours come to Philly via Germany? That's where mine was last seen.
    Mine, according to tracking, came straight from London. But there were 18 days in-between, so who knows where the layovers were?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Mine, according to tracking, came straight from London. But there were 18 days in-between, so who knows where the layovers were?
    Still waiting on mine... No tracking I guess I didn't select that option?

Quote Originally Posted by awebert View Post
    Still waiting on mine... No tracking I guess I didn't select that option?
    I think it depends on what you bought. I got the Blu-Ray, which does not come with tracking.

I received my cd/dvd early last week but didn't get around to playing it until yesterday. There seems to be some kind of hidden track at the end. My phone rang during it so I got distracted so I'll have to play it again. I will say that it sounded pretty good but my initial impression was that it kind of sounded like FEAR part two. There are moments that had a very similiar kind of intensity. It seems that Marillion are going for the "slow burn" these days as opposed to music that is immediately catchy and accessible (nothing wrong with that though).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Wow, I didn’t hear any similarities to FEAR, certainly not to the extent that I’d call it FEAR part 2.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The hidden track is some weird mix of Murder Machines.

I really don’t hear much if any similarity to FEAR either, aside from, as Digital Man says, an intensity.

^Did yours come to Philly via Germany? That's where mine was last seen.
    Mine arrived today in Wisconsin. I didn't have a tracking number, but the package says it came from Germany.

Ditto Germany, no tracking FWIW

Ember
    And like magic, it shows up late today. Why it came from Germany I've no earthly idea. (My Tears for Fears Blu-ray arrived in the same delivery. It's like the USPS found the secret stash.)
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

O Boy!

I've had this album on repeat for a while and I really enjoy it. For me it doesn't have the same musical and lyrical impact as FEAR but really, it's outstanding for a band in their fifth decade to be producing some of their best work ever. My only gripe comes with the song Sierra Leone. Musically this is a great track but the lyrics piss me off every time: poor/destitute person living in a country that has endured much hardship and turmoil finds valuable diamond but does not use it to improve their or anyone else's life. "This is more than treasure. This was sent to me from God." Fuck. That. Shit.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    but the lyrics piss me off every time: poor/destitute person living in a country that has endured much hardship and turmoil finds valuable diamond but does not use it to improve their or anyone else's life. "This is more than treasure. This was sent to me from God." Fuck. That. Shit.
    "This song isn't cynical enough, dammit! Why TF isn't the last verse about all the cool stuff he bought with his diamond money!!?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    "This song isn't cynical enough, dammit! Why TF isn't the last verse about all the cool stuff he bought with his diamond money!!?!?!"
    Is that what I was saying? Thanks for clarifying.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    No problem.
    I don't see it as cynicism to use a windfall gain to better one's circumstances or those of others - especially in disadvantaged circumstances.

But maybe we're talking at cross purposes. Apologies if I misunderstood your post.

aith01

I've had this album on repeat for a while and I really enjoy it. For me it doesn't have the same musical and lyrical impact as FEAR but really, it's outstanding for a band in their fifth decade to be producing some of their best work ever. My only gripe comes with the song Sierra Leone. Musically this is a great track but the lyrics piss me off every time: poor/destitute person living in a country that has endured much hardship and turmoil finds valuable diamond but does not use it to improve their or anyone else's life. "This is more than treasure. This was sent to me from God." Fuck. That. Shit.
    You shouldn't interpret this song too litterally and consider that it is Hogarth's belief that one shouldn't sell a diamond if they were to find one. He's given some explanations about the song's meaning. There's a sort of idealistic or romantic notion that having the possibility and freedom to do anything is more valuable than actually doing it. The diamond gives the guy the freedom to say No for the first time and he revels in this.
    As for the religious reference, if that's what bothers you, I see it more as coming from a poor man from Sierra Leone than from Hogarth himself, who has never been known for expressing clear religious beliefs.

Yesterday, I got an email saying that my Blu-Ray has shipped. Today, I got an email from Townsend Music saying that "your order was returned to us by Deutsche Post. We are resending this out to you asap. You will receive a dispatch email on the date of dispatch."
    Um, wtf? Why was it sent to Germany? SMH. Good thing Racket isn't handling this.

I don't see it as cynicism to use a windfall gain to better one's circumstances or those of others - especially in disadvantaged circumstances.

But maybe we're talking at cross purposes. Apologies if I misunderstood your post.
    Can I ask you to take a step back and look at your posts from the outside, and consider why my immediate reaction was to just be a wise-ass?

Are you suggesting that the narrative of the song should've been "I found this valuable stone, and here's a few verses about all the good things I did for the world with the money I got for selling it!" Because, honestly, that sounds like one silly ass song, particularly in the context of this album. I realize that may actually sound pretty cynical.

Or are you suggesting that writing a song about valuing something for what it is over the material gain that it can bring you is a bad idea altogether and the song shouldn't have been written? A valid opinion, but kinda cynical, no?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    You shouldn't interpret this song too litterally and consider that it is Hogarth's belief that one shouldn't sell a diamond if they were to find one. He's given some explanations about the song's meaning. There's a sort of idealistic or romantic notion that having the possibility and freedom to do anything is more valuable than actually doing it. The diamond gives the guy the freedom to say No for the first time and he revels in this.
    As for the religious reference, if that's what bothers you, I see it more as coming from a poor man from Sierra Leone than from Hogarth himself, who has never been known for expressing clear religious beliefs.
    I envision this while listening to this song... If a poor kid found the diamond while in servitude of some excavation company he wouldn't see much of the profit anyways... It would get snatched away and he might get a warm meal that evening... Best to keep it on the downlow and dream what it could bring some day instead of lining some rich guys pockets...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For some reason this song made me think of the movie "The Shawshank Redemption." The character in the movie was able to get through all those terrible years in prison by thinking in the back of his mind about the future he'd have when he got out because of the hidden fortune he has. It's a little different because he eventually realizes that future, but it's just knowing about it that helps him survive.

This song sort of came together last for me, and it helped when someone on one of the Facebook groups mentioned the section about lying in the white sand, and how melodically that was perhaps the best part of the album. It just made me focus on that melody, and it IS beautiful!

In Sierra Leone, I love how the shimmery parts musically in the fourth part really capture the lyrics of the flashing of prisms from the diamond, it's very effective.
    "Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

https://tomkelly1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For some reason this song made me think of the movie "The Shawshank Redemption." The character in the movie was able to get through all those terrible years in prison by thinking in the back of his mind about the future he'd have when he got out because of the hidden fortune he has. It's a little different because he eventually realizes that future, but it's just knowing about it that helps him survive.

This song sort of came together last for me, and it helped when someone on one of the Facebook groups mentioned the section about lying in the white sand, and how melodically that was perhaps the best part of the album. It just made me focus on that melody, and it IS beautiful!
    Thanks for that

Ember
    I'm a little bit disappointed with the 5.1 mix. It's... blurry. Mostly a wash of instruments across the front, ambience in the surrounds, and h's voice often too out-front. If ever Marillion made an album that would benefit from a truly immersive surround mix, this is IMO that album. But this isn't that mix.

This is on the DVD, in Dolby Digital 5.1. I'm also getting the Blu-ray, so I'll see if it sounds any better in lossless hi-rez. I'm sure the mix is the same, though.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I'm a little bit disappointed with the 5.1 mix. It's... blurry. Mostly a wash of instruments across the front, ambience in the surrounds, and h's voice often too out-front. If ever Marillion made an album that would benefit from a truly immersive surround mix, this is IMO that album. But this isn't that mix.

This is on the DVD, in Dolby Digital 5.1. I'm also getting the Blu-ray, so I'll see if it sounds any better in lossless hi-rez. I'm sure the mix is the same, though.
    That's the usual tame mix of Michael Hunter with all Marillion releases. Yes it's the same mix on the Blu-Ray. He must think that people enjoy ambiance more then discrete surround.

Even the non 5.1 mix is blurry... At least on spotify... Must have been on purpose?