Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 73

Thread: New Marillion Album on the Way

  1. #26
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Scotland, Canada
    Posts
    538
    For Marillion like the rest, when speaking of of GAZA, it will have a whole new meaning after the ongoing conflict with Israel this past week and while hoping for a ceasefire.

    Roger Waters has already spoken about this in his blog, as expected. War and politics are part of the musical inspiration that many artists use to ask their fans to pay attention and Gaza is one.

  2. #27
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,266
    If you do a search on Youtube, there is a 15 or 20 minute clip with Marillion members discussing the new album. They said the tempo is more upbeat and that they will be going into Real World Studios to record.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  3. #28
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,671
    Yes, Koreabruce posted it at the top of this page.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  4. #29
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, Koreabruce posted it at the top of this page.
    - I have to put my glasses on!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    For Marillion like the rest, when speaking of of GAZA, it will have a whole new meaning after the ongoing conflict with Israel this past week and while hoping for a ceasefire.

    Roger Waters has already spoken about this in his blog, as expected. War and politics are part of the musical inspiration that many artists use to ask their fans to pay attention and Gaza is one.
    Do you really want to go there? Best way to get this thread closed fast!
    But yeah, I've had this song in the back of my mind a lot lately.

  6. #31
    I'm glad to hear about a more upbeat or uptempo album, it would make a nice contrast with FEAR, which I love, but which is like "Marillion finally go to sleep after slowing down the tempos for many years".
    They still create beautiful music, but I since Anoraknophobia their energy level has been quite low. FEAR had many moments where it was "H mumbles over a slowly played piano". It has its charm, but only to an extent.

  7. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    FEAR had many moments where it was "H mumbles over a slowly played piano". It has its charm, but only to an extent.
    I thought Essence was a much worse offender in that respect. FEAR is much more upbeat by comparison. My main problem with FEAR is the dodgy transitions in the long suites where they just stop and start a completely different section of music.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I thought Essence was a much worse offender in that respect. FEAR is much more upbeat by comparison. My main problem with FEAR is the dodgy transitions in the long suites where they just stop and start a completely different section of music.
    Essence felt a lot more dynamic to me. I don't think anything on FEAR ever reached the energy level of the highest points on Essence, but it has been a while since I heard FEAR.

  9. #34
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If there was a bad sound to it, I fixed that with a couple of adult beverages, and it sounds fine. lol
    For me personally, there is something magical about the first couple of albums when Hogarth joined. I remember driving 35 miles in a Michigan snowstorm on a Friday Night to Ann Arbor's Schoolkid's Record shop to pick up Holidays in Eden.
    We got home after a white knuckles on the steering wheel drive home in the snow, and put the cd on and it was like gold.
    Naturally, Made Again had to "mirror" Gazza Ladra in compilation - a set of tunz from the three non concept discs plus a 2nd disc of the concept album live.

    And the FRC was not around - so understandable in its mixed show message.

    better live versions of all of these tunz throughout the FRC show catalogue.

    I love the 95 acoustic radioshow promoting AoS and the Lausanne show from 1991 - killer set

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  10. #35
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Naturally, Made Again had to "mirror" Gazza Ladra in compilation - a set of tunz from the three non concept discs plus a 2nd disc of the concept album live.

    And the FRC was not around - so understandable in its mixed show message.

    better live versions of all of these tunz throughout the FRC show catalogue.

    I love the 95 acoustic radioshow promoting AoS and the Lausanne show from 1991 - killer set

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Concerts and live recordings are a funny thing to me.
    Some shows while not technically as good, or performed as well, or the sound may be off, can also have a certain charm and magic, that a better show has missing.
    I think we've all been to a concert or two where there was something magical about the whole evening, and others where, while the music was accurate, something was off.
    I like the Made Again performances(although admittedly I haven't listened to the Brave disc)as the subject matter and songs require me to be in just the right mood to enjoy.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I thought Essence was a much worse offender in that respect. FEAR is much more upbeat by comparison. My main problem with FEAR is the dodgy transitions in the long suites where they just stop and start a completely different section of music.
    I think a big part of Essence was designed to give that impression of a meditative, "floating" sequence, which gave Woke Up a special impact. And it was balanced by The Hard Shoulder.
    I agree with your comment on FEAR though. There are some frustrating transitions where I can't help but think they could have given it a better flow.

  12. #37
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    My main problem with FEAR is the dodgy transitions in the long suites where they just stop and start a completely different section of music.
    Totally agree. Though, aside from "The New Kings," I love the album.

    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I think a big part of Essence was designed to give that impression of a meditative, "floating" sequence, which gave Woke Up a special impact. And it was balanced by The Hard Shoulder.
    Agree here, too. Essence is a "mood" album, as in, you have to be in the right mood to enjoy it, but when it hits, man look out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  13. #38
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,266
    I was reflecting on the video from the band on the new album. They've kept the core band membership for well over 30 years. They have not been a band full of dispute and seem to really like one another. That's a big accomplishment alone. The thing that amazes from, and count myself lucky, is how prolific the band is in contantly releasing new music. I'm optimitic that Marillion will produce something of value.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  14. #39
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Totally agree. Though, aside from "The New Kings," I love the album.



    Agree here, too. Essence is a "mood" album, as in, you have to be in the right mood to enjoy it, but when it hits, man look out.
    The New Kings is so good! ��
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  15. #40
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The New Kings is so good! ��
    The lyrics are unusually awkward and clunky, and the arrangement is lazy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The New Kings is so good! ��
    New Kings is the epic from FEAR that works best for me. El Dorado and especially Leavers are the ones with the dodgy transitions IMO. Their way of writing with Michael Hunter piecing together completely unrelated sections of music is becoming too apparent there. If you're going to make an epic, at least work on the transitions and try to stick in a few recurring themes for the sake of continuity.
    Despite this, FEAR remains highly enjoyable which is saying sopething about the quality of the music.

  17. #42
    I love FEAR because there's a lot of great music in it, but I agree with some of the criticism here about the way the epics are conceived and about the heavy handed lyrics.
    Marillion's "obviously pieced together" epics often work because the music and vocals are great and each section is interesting in itself, but it would indeed be interesting if they put more continuity and consistency in those pieces.

  18. #43
    Member DrGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Their way of writing with Michael Hunter piecing together completely unrelated sections of music is becoming too apparent there. If you're going to make an epic, at least work on the transitions and try to stick in a few recurring themes for the sake of continuity.
    Despite this, FEAR remains highly enjoyable which is saying sopething about the quality of the music.
    I agree with this. That said, I think The New Kings is the one that works least well for me. The other problem with FEAR is the number of 'epics' on the album - this leads to them occupying too much sequential time in a tour set list. I'll admit that this probably isn't a problem for most people, but we tend to hit up multiple conventions and at least one fly-away tour every album cycle (at this point, I have to own up to having tickets for all ten nights of the 'Light at the End of the Tunnel' UK tour in November).

  19. #44
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,822
    ^ That's hardcore, dude. Even Jed wouldn't do that.

  20. #45
    Member DrGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ That's hardcore, dude. Even Jed wouldn't do that.
    2022 will be the hardcore year. I have at least a year and a half to make up for. So Marillion-wise that will include at least three conventions (Canada because almost local, Portugal because its been my favorite place so far, and Sweden because its new and its Sweden) and the bloody cruise (mutter). But I'd also like to get to RIO finally, and probably at least one each of a Hawkwind, Hillage, Mogwai and whatever Kavus is doing show. So that will include more international travel for sure.

  21. #46
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,532
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    New Kings is the epic from FEAR that works best for me. El Dorado and especially Leavers are the ones with the dodgy transitions IMO. Their way of writing with Michael Hunter piecing together completely unrelated sections of music is becoming too apparent there. If you're going to make an epic, at least work on the transitions and try to stick in a few recurring themes for the sake of continuity.
    Despite this, FEAR remains highly enjoyable which is saying sopething about the quality of the music.
    If you watch the FEAR EPK (Electronic Press Kit), Hogarth says that the album is different from their others in that it doesn't exactly have "songs" on it, and the music doesn't really have choruses. Obviously "Living in FEAR" and "White Paper" are songs (White Paper is one of my favorites of theirs), but it's true that the three epics don't really follow some common song-structure conventions. So it seems like the band was aware of this, and it's somewhat intentional. It works for me, though I can see why it doesn't for some.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  22. #47
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,532
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ That's hardcore, dude. Even Jed wouldn't do that.
    He's way beyond me! Though in my defense, if my wife was as into Marillion as his wife is, I'd be giving him a run for his money! Although CTTOI, I still wouldn't buy tickets to 10 shows in one year, not even after a global pandemic.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  23. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So it seems like the band was aware of this, and it's somewhat intentional. It works for me, though I can see why it doesn't for some.
    It's somewhat reassuring that the band are aware of it. Despite my criticisms, I quite like FEAR. I just don't think it's the masterpiece some say it is, for the reasons I've mentioned.
    Every Marillion album being a reaction to the previous one, I think we can expect something quite different for the next one, possibly more song based.

  24. #49
    Member DrGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's way beyond me! Though in my defense, if my wife was as into Marillion as his wife is, I'd be giving him a run for his money! Although CTTOI, I still wouldn't buy tickets to 10 shows in one year, not even after a global pandemic.
    No doubt! I love live music, but were I not married to another Freak I'd probably see a few less Marillion shows. Note that we may not go to all 10 shows - which we can go to will depend on when we can get family together to celebrate my dad's 95th birthday, so one or more shows may not happen. Given the strong ticket sales, it just made sense to get them all and then figure out whether we need to donate/resell any tickets later.

  25. #50
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,532
    ^ You don't have to justify it! Congrats to your dad!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •