Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins interview 1974

Phil Collins interview 1974

Here's an interview with Phil I saw on youtube, from during the Lamb tour.

Lot's of talk about drumming, his kit, and other progressive bands of the time. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAfXqNO8WY

-Tom

He repeatedly pronounces Bruford as "brufford" (with a short 'u') , kinda funny.

Poor ELP...again. Nobody seems to like them but they sold millions and millions. Fascinating.

nothing mentioned about Phil's left-handedness (from the bits i sampled). I still would like to know the details of his audition, since i don't believe(?) he auditioned for Genesis using/bringing his own drums?? (and the drums back then were usually small *cocktail* type kits, with often the ride cymbal and the single tom mounted directly to the bass drum.) that type of kit would have been difficult for a lefty on first use(?), and to switch around to play. But this just illustrates what a great drummer Phil was. As Peter said: "I knew he was a great drummer from just he way he sat behind the kit."

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    nothing mentioned about Phil's left-handedness (from the bits i sampled). I still would like to know the details of his audition, since i don't believe(?) he auditioned for Genesis using/bringing his own drums?? (and the drums back then were usually small *cocktail* type kits, with often the ride cymbal and the single tom mounted directly to the bass drum.) that type of kit would have been difficult for a lefty on first use(?), and to switch around to play. But this just illustrates what a great drummer Phil was. As Peter said: "I knew he was a great drummer from just he way he sat behind the kit."
    No mention of that - but it's notable that he says he called Jon Anderson when he heard Bruford had left Yes, looking for the job. But they already had Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    No mention of that - but it's notable that he says he called Jon Anderson when he heard Bruford had left Yes, looking for the job. But they already had Alan.
    The story I've heard before is that when Bruford temporarily left Yes in 1968 to go back to university, Phil was tempted to audition but did not.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The story I've heard before is that when Bruford temporarily left Yes in 1968 to go back to university, Phil was tempted to audition but did not.
    I've heard that as well, but this was another instance later (when Alan joined in 1972)

Well, you know what they say about opinions. At least he liked PFM (at one point). I didn't know PFM helped break Genesis although I suppose Genesis opened for them in Italy so that makes sense.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-10-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I've heard that as well, but this was another instance later (when Alan joined in 1972)
    Yep. Bruford left for Leeds (I think)in the fall of 68 for two months. According to legend they played at his school and he thought the replacement drummer, Tony O'Reilly, was so bad that he asked to rejoin the band. I didn't know Phil wanted to join Yes after Bill left in 72. I thought I heard it was earlier but not sure. Personally, I think Phil would have been a better fit for the band than Alan being that Phil's style is closer to Bill's but things turned out ok for Yes in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I didn't know PFM helped break Genesis although I suppose Genesis opened for them in Italy so that makes sense.
    Yeah, I don't think so.

One thing is clear - his mind was on drumming, musicianship, and the ins and outs of the scene. It's clear being any kind of "frontman" or "personality" wasn't anywhere on his radar at the time.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    One thing is clear - his mind was on drumming, musicianship, and the ins and outs of the scene. It's clear being any kind of "frontman" or "personality" wasn't anywhere on his radar at the time.
    Which is ironic, given that it was the night of Peter Gabriel's departure being announced.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

As Peter said: "I knew he was a great drummer from just he way he sat behind the kit." [/QUOTE]

Ironically it was the way he sat behind the drum kit that has now crippled him!

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Poor ELP...again. Nobody seems to like them but they sold millions and millions. Fascinating.
    Members of Genesis seemed to love to slag ELP. While Peter and Tony loved the Nice, they do not have a lot of nice things to say about ELP. Phil even mentions Carl in his autobiography saying "nice guy, but never liked his playing". Jealousy was not a good color on them in the '70's, but I guess they had their revenge in the '80's....

Interesting to hear him with such a different mindset, without so much band history to draw from. "We reissued From Genesis To Revelation last year", etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    Members of Genesis seemed to love to slag ELP. While Peter and Tony loved the Nice, they do not have a lot of nice things to say about ELP. Phil even mentions Carl in his autobiography saying "nice guy, but never liked his playing". Jealousy was not a good color on them in the '70's, but I guess they had their revenge in the '80's....
    I don't like ELP. It has nothing to do with jealousy whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yeah, the conversation leads me to believe Phil genuinely didn't like the way CP played. That's not a new opinion then or since. The guy Steve even talks about how CP would often just replicate on the drums what Emo was doing on the keys. That's a criticism I've heard many times and I think it holds up. How many times have I read folks here disliking CP's ability to hold the tempo? I personally like his playing - especially in the studio - but I get the critiques. Could Phil have been layering a bit of "build myself up by tearing others down" into his comments? Maybe. At the time he was an up and coming drummer, second tier compared to Bruford, Cobham, Palmer -- all the people they talk about. So it's natural to posture a bit when talking to a couple guys who were obviously fans.

And Phil says more than once he likes Emo, but you get the sense Greg Lake rubbed him the wrong way. There's nothing special or unique there either! I sensed some waffling about his thoughts about the music, but as we know Phil has always preferred a more earthy, soul-infused brand of music and it's easy to see how even in '74 ELP could leave him cold.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Those British classic rock guys always seem to like taking little jabs at others. Sometimes within their own band! I wouldn't put too much thought into any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, the conversation leads me to believe Phil genuinely didn't like the way CP played. That's not a new opinion then or since. The guy Steve even talks about how CP would often just replicate on the drums what Emo was doing on the keys. That's a criticism I've heard many times and I think it holds up.
    For me CP following Emerson is a feature, not a bug, but it is a different style from Phil's.

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    I always got the same impression! It must have pissed Collins off seeing Carl Palmer being voted best drummer in the world in the music press polls year after year. It probably still riles him that even to this day he has never been voted into the Rock & Roll Drummers Hall of fame by his peers. The only one who didnt appear criticize his peers was Steve Hackett who said he was very grateful to ELP for giving them good press when they needed it!
    Last edited by Rufus; 05-11-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    LOL.

I do remember reading, I think in the Genesis Archive 1967-75 box set booklet, a comment how in 73/74 ELP was staying in lavish hotels and Genesis was staying in some shabby hotels. I am sure they though they were better than ELP, but some things take time to catch on. I always find these comments amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Reminds you of Taylor Swift.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Reminds you of Taylor Swift.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I always got the same impression! It must have pissed Collins off seeing Carl Palmer being voted best drummer in the world in the music press polls year after year. It probably still riles him that even to this day he has never been voted into the Rock & Roll Drummers Hall of fame by his peers. The only one who didnt appear criticize his peers was Steve Hackett who said he was very grateful to ELP for giving them good press when they needed it!
    Is this the time Keith praised Nursery Cryme in a music magazine advert?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Is this the time Keith praised Nursery Cryme in a music magazine advert?
    Yeah, I think you see a glimpse of it in the YouTube video.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)