Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Manzanera Appreciation Thread

Phil Manzanera Appreciation Thread

I wanted to stop and discuss Phil's unique style and ask you all to tell me how you think his solo works rank. Diamond Head is my fave, but there's other good ones too.

Curious your thoughts....

Also, I'd like to talk about his writing and playing in Roxy Music, 801 and Quiet Sun. He doesn't get mentioned in those best guitarist lists, usually, but I always dug his style. A lot of it is textural and he was one of the first guys to go there.

Interesting. I've always been a big fan of his work, especially his time with Roxy Music. I've always thought that if you can immediately identify an artist just by listening to a song and hearing their playing they must be considered a significant artist. Phil is definitely one of those players. His style is immediately identifiable. I'm probably alone in this next statement but one of my all time personal favorite albums is Wetton/Manazanera. That's a story for another time... I have several of his solo albums, but I must admit I'm not all that familiar with them. This might be a good time to revisit them though.

Looking at Wikipedia it's remarkable how few albums he's appeared on. I suspect that may be why he's not generally considered to be an "all time great" guitarist. He seems to be in the "quality over quantity" category of musicians. Although this isn't bad: "Asteroid 72801 Manzanera, discovered by Marc Buie at Kitt Peak National Observatory in 2001, was named in his honour."

I used to have K-Scope on 8 track. We used to jam to it in my Opel GT.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Phil's guitar playing is both extremely expressive and *tasteful* (not always in tandem combination).
    (here's a [largely instrumental other than a spoken word bit] track from Vozero (1999); even the background loops are tasteful and well-thought out/mixed)

I love Quiet Sun !

I own Diamond head, and it's ok, I like 2 tracks a lot...

Frontera and East of Echo (A Quiet Sun track with Wetton on bass)
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-09-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I love Quiet Sun !

Yes Quiet Sun is my choice too...I like Listen Now a lot too.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Love Diamond Head. The tracks with Eno vocals are a special treat; like missing tracks from Taking Tiger Mountain. Totally knocked out by the vocal interplay between John Wetton and Doreen Chanter on "Same Time Next Week," which likewise could have fit on Starless and Bible Black, so Crimsonesque is its vibe.

Love Listen Now and K-Scope, too. I only recently noticed after all these years that in "Numbers" from the latter, when Wetton references Roxy with "CPL593H" the background vocal is crooning "Flight 19"!
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY incontrovertibly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Diamond Head was a gateway to a new world. I walked into a meeting of the stereo club in my high school.
    The guest host, (a stereo salesman friend of the sponsor named Duane Self ) had brought a killer Quad channel setup.
    He cued up Diamond Head and proceeded to blow my freshman mind.
    It was not the top 40 prog that I was familiar with up to 1975 when I first heard the album.
    Robert Wyatt singing Frontera is one of my favorite songs.
    Diamond Head is one of my desert island discs.
    Quiet Sun, 801 Live, Roxy Music, the 801 albums, Eno, what a great rabbit hole to fall into.
    I've got most of Manzanera's albums, it looks like 6pm is the only one I am missing.

I would not say that everything he touches turns to gold, but I like his sound.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own Diamond Head. I saw Phil with David Gilmour and Richard Wright at Massey Hall in Toronto about 15 years ago - they played Echoes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Diamond Head and 801 Live are the only "solo" albums I own, but I love them both dearly. Depending on the number of discs I was allowed to take, either of them might be a candidate.

But let us not forget his work with Roxy Music. His solo on the Viva Roxy Music version of "Dream Home/Heartache" is one of my all time favorites by any guitarist. Even when his style is played down, as on the Avalon album, his contributions are always stellar.

So, yeah, I appreciate the man
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Phil M 3 SOAL.jpg

I'll be chatting with Phil on the 26th and will be sure to share it here.

Phil Manzanera is one of the must underrated guitarists IMHO. I love 801 Live and Listen Now in particular. HAVe thought of picking up either the 2 disc version of 801 Live (which includes the rehearsal set), or some of the other live 801 CD's like Hull (those are supposedly of bootleg quality though, and with a substitute member or two).

Jon Neudorf
    I really dig 6 PM and 801 Live. His playing can be so subtle yet substantial at the same time, if that makes any sense. With Roxy, his textural soundscapes are just so good. Avalon is a case in point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Phil Manzanera is one of the must underrated guitarists IMHO. I love 801 Live and Listen Now in particular. HAVe thought of picking up either the 2 disc version of 801 Live (which includes the rehearsal set), or some of the other live 801 CD's like Hull (those are supposedly of bootleg quality though, and with a substitute member or two).
    Underrated indeed but when did any ratings stop us from enjoying the music we like?

Thanks for the reminder that I need to expand my PM collection. I picked up K-Scope used on CD eons ago and it instantly became a favorite ("Gone Flying" is one of the better "pop" singles any prog alumni has ever written.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Always thought the guitar solo on the studio version of Editions of You was a masterpiece of precision meets chaos - like Paul Kossoff meets Sonny Sharrock. I seem to remember an interview where Phil says one of his favorite guitarists was Lou Reed circa White Light/ White Heat - he, like many others had assumed Sterling Morrison not Lou was playing those crazy solos on I Heard Her Call My Name and Sister Ray.

"Diamond Head", "Listen Now", "K-Scope", "801 Live" and Quiet Sun's "Mainstream" have been in my collection since the 70's. Like so many of the great prog guitarists, he didn't go for the big-ego/larger-than-life/flashy persona, but he's right up there with the best of them. By the way, don't bother with the 2 CD version of "801 Live"; the sound quality on the second rehearsal disc is bad. However, do spring for the original concert reissued disc that has the two songs left off the original album as bonus tracks: Fat Lady of Limbourg and Golden Hours (both with vocals by Eno, of course). I didn't like the Hull or Manchester live albums much. No Eno, rougher-sounding, but interesting anyway...

I like his 6PM cd.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Frontera and East of Echo (A Quiet Sun track with Wetton on bass)
    Diamond Head is OK, but never got me to own it.
    I tried one or two more later albums, but oddly enough never enjoyed his ethnic music endeavours

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Yes Quiet Sun is my choice too...I like Listen Now a lot too.
    Quiet Sun is my Manzanera Go To album. I compiled both 801 albums too, and finished the CDr with a couple of tracks from Diamond Head. Rarely play it, though

As For Your Plasure, the only Roxy album I don't dislike, I never owned it either.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I own Diamond Head. I saw Phil with David Gilmour and Richard Wright at Massey Hall in Toronto about 15 years ago - they played Echoes.
    Sounds enormous.
    Have a hard time imagining Gilmour and Wright together (let alone with Manza) inside the Massey Hal (old or new - Roy Thompson Hall), because it's too small for them.
    I saw Gilmour solo (with Ralphs) for the About Face at the Massey, though. But different times (84).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Diamond Head is my favorite of his (it’s kind of a Manzanera/Eno album IMO), followed by 801 - Listen Now, then 801 Live. Primitive Guitar is pretty good too.

He also had the band Explorers, which I used to listen to a lot.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

The album Phil did with John Wetton stands out for me. The performances are incredible, I wish they would have done more than one.

One could never guess that these musicians were in bands like King Crimson and Roxy Music, even Asia for that matter. Their singular imprint here stands out on its own merit. Wetton Manzanera is a lost gem.

https://music.youtube.com/search?q=w...era+full+album
    Keith Emerson - Bayou place May 2010 - Tribute Concert El Rey Los Angeles May 2016
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017
    UK & IQ at Progstock Festival - UCPAC Center - Rahway NJ - Oct 2018-19

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Diamond Head is OK, but never got me to own it.
    I tried one or two more later albums, but oddly enough never enjoyed his ethnic music endeavours

Quiet Sun is my Manzanera Go To album. I compiled both 801 albums too, and finished the CDr with a couple of tracks from Diamond Head. Rarely play it, though

As For Your Plasure, the only Roxy album I don't dislike, I never owned it either.

Sounds enormous.
    Have a hard time imagining Gilmour and Wright together (let alone with Manza) inside the Massey Hal (old or new - Roy Thompson Hall), because it's too small for them.
    I saw Gilmour solo (with Ralphs) for the About Face at the Massey, though. But different times (84).
    Glad you got to see Gilmour up close! I'll never forget the show at Massey Hall. The first half was On An Island but the second half was classic Floyd. Never thought it's hear them play Echoes (fav tune). I bought very reasonably priced after sale tickets from a fan online.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

The guy is an incredible guitarist. Between Roxy Music, Quiet Sun, his solo albums and session work he's touched on every creative musical base there is. We need more like him.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Nice! Thanks.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown