Thread: Peter Gabriel w/Peter Hammill: Newly Found Footage! "A Ritual Mask"

Peter Gabriel w/Peter Hammill: Newly Found Footage! "A Ritual Mask"

The rarest of video footage, not believed to have existed up until a few days ago, has been unearthed. I had a hand in unearthing it and I’ve been given the green light to share it! A little background…

In 1982, Peter Gabriel organized the first WOMAD (World of Music and Dance) festival in England which brought together many World Music artists from various countries, along with some well known Western popular music artists (the WOMAD album had tracks by artists like Ekome Dance Company and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan alongside tracks by the likes of David Byrne, Peter Hammill, Pete Townsend, XTC, and Gabriel himself).

On one of the three nights, PG’s band (which included Stewart Copeland on drums, L Shankar on violin, and Peter Hammill on guitar and b-vox) did a set of new Gabriel tunes, but the first song of the set was a spotlight for Hammill and the song he wrote for the WOMAD album (“A Ritual Mask”). I’ve always wondered what that must have been like so I emailed Peter Gabriel this past Saturday afternoon asking if there was any video footage of Hammill leading the band on “A Ritual Mask”, letting him know that I wanted to share it with other PH/VdGG fans if there was. PG helped me out years ago by contributing to the VdGG book, so I hoped he’d help out again. He was great, he wrote me back a few hours later saying that he was pretty sure there was no footage unfortunately but said he’d have someone look into it. I also let Hammill know I was on a mini-quest to track down footage of that perf but he couldn’t remember if there was a camera crew that night in ’82 when the PG band performed “A Ritual Mask.”

Lo and behold, one of Gabriel’s cohorts at Real World (thanks Mike!) got back to me saying that they did discover some raw footage of WOMAD in the Real World archives. And they found raw, unedited footage of Hammill / PG’s Band performing “A Ritual Mask”! The footage was sent to me but there was a rights issue (PG/Real World/WOMAD doesn’t own the rights) but, after a bit of back & forth, we decided that it’s okay for me to share the clip on Facebook. So… here is the rarest of video footage, hidden away unseen in 40 years, and raw/unedited but still magnificent: Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, Stewart Copeland, L Shankar, David Rhodes, and Larry Fast performing “A Ritual Mask” at WOMAD in 1982.

Jim Christopulos
    co-author, “Van der Graaf Generator – The Book”
    (Thanks to PG, Mike, and York at Real World!!!)

Here's the link, I could only post it via my VdGG Facebook page (please "like" the clip if you're able to):

https://fb.watch/5kIRIuH8lh/

Wow - how cool is that?! Thanks so much for sharing!

Stunning to see this! Love it. And so different from the track on Loops And Reels.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for your work, Jim, tracking this one down!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This sounds like an unreal treasure. Thanks so much for posting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well THAT didn't suck!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Well THAT didn't suck!
    What he said!

Whoah! - that's actually brilliant!
    Fantastic work, Jim!
    (loved the "new romantics" in the front row of the crowd, seeming to smile with genuine pleasure after that work out!!)

Awesome. I always dug that tune from the first time I heard it on the Music and Rhythm set.

So, what else does Gabes have stashed away in the vaults that he's forgotten about?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very, very cool! Perhaps the coolest part is that you exchanged emails with L’ange Gabriel. I’ve met some famous people (as have many of us) but I can’t think of many as cool to communicate with than him! And you did it for the common good...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    So, what else does Gabes have stashed away in the vaults that he's forgotten about?
    His next album, probably!

Holy cow, dude-this is an amazing find! Really good!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Thanks for the comments, glad everyone is enjoying this clip! I honestly didn't think anything would come of my digging for it. Obviously, things went far better than I dared hope.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Perhaps the coolest part is that you exchanged emails with L’ange Gabriel. I’ve met some famous people (as have many of us) but I can’t think of many as cool to communicate with than him! And you did it for the common good...
    Well, I'm thankful that he helped me out (again) and, by extension, did a favor to PH/VdGG fandom :-) . But the coolest part (for me) is that there actually is footage of Hammill performing "Ritual Mask" with the PG Band at WOMAD in '82 (that was heavily in doubt up until a few days ago), and now we can all see it!

Wow, thanks Jim!
    This is great and also nice to see PH backed with such a star studded band.
    Jim, you should apply for sainthood!

So does Real World have more footage of Gabriel's WOMAD set? The Shock The Dog bootleg has over an hour.

1 Soundcheck: Dog One (21:12)
    2 A Ritual Mask (7:03)
    3 Dog One (7:25)
    4 Indian Melody (10:59)
    5 Across the River (15:05)
    6 Across the River (reprise, encore)(4:01)

Thanks for sharing! Cool find.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Jim, you should apply for sainthood!
    Easy now, lol

40th anniversary of WOMAD this year. Would love for this whole show to be released

Here it is on You Tube...f'n awesome!

Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    40th anniversary of WOMAD this year. Would love for this whole show to be released
    Agreed. How do we make that happen?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Welp. Not the whole thing, but “Ritual Mask” is on it.

https://realworldrecords.com/news/an...ZElsPNRqGZ6k6A
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

What a delight! I loved the chance to see Copeland! The mix is heavy on the drums too!

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Well, I'd guess this will come out this year,precisely for the 40th BD

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Welp. Not the whole thing, but “Ritual Mask” is on it.

https://realworldrecords.com/news/an...ZElsPNRqGZ6k6A
    I'd prefer them to release a DVD with the film than just the sonic recordings
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.