Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Music From Styx

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I like that a lot. But boy, I sure don’t think Styx when I hear that. I do want to hear more though.

This came out a few weeks ago and is the proggiest thing that has come out of the Styx camp in decades. He nails that classic Styx sound.
    Finally had a chance to watch this Friday night on the big screen with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it.
    If the rest of the material holds up to this style and quality, I'd love to pick up the CD when it comes out.
    I didn't find it cheesy at all, but then again I like cheese.

ps, is he using different musicians for this. The guitarists look like different people, he usually has the 2 blonde guys.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Ha! I really enjoyed Dennis' new video.

I think it's a delight that both Styx and Dennis are producing such good fun music, this far into their careers. I fancy both album are going to be end of year highlights.

That’s it my friend, keep it positive. Thank you😊

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Ha! I really enjoyed Dennis' new video.

I think it's a delight that both Styx and Dennis are producing such good fun music, this far into their careers. I fancy both album are going to be end of year highlights.
    I thought the same thing. It's like when Peter and Fish both left their bands, they all went on producing great music.
    And what we have are 2 bands, 2 solo artists, all giving us double the musical pleasure.
    It's the same with Styx, and Dennis, except I don't think Dennis' solo career has gotten the same recognition Peter and Fish has gotten from the fans of their previous band.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Finally had a chance to watch this Friday night on the big screen with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it.
    If the rest of the material holds up to this style and quality, I'd love to pick up the CD when it comes out.
    I didn't find it cheesy at all, but then again I like cheese.

ps, is he using different musicians for this. The guitarists look like different people, he usually has the 2 blonde guys.
    I haven't seen any mention of who is playing on this one. Just that the full-length version of this song is 8 minutes and is only on the forthcoming album. Also Tom Morello plays guitar on a different track.

NP: Light Up.

It randomly came up on the house music. .

And the moral of the story is, listen with your ears, not your eyes.

Because there are fairly awful videos like Dennis DeYoung's new one, where the music is pretty good. The bad video will spoil it for me if I watch it too closely, so I (mostly) avoid it.

As for the music, I like both the new Styx and DeYoung stuff. DeYoung was a huge, if not the main part of the traditional Styx sound. His new stuff sounds like that, because that's who he is. There is an element of cheese, but it's still good. He's singing very well these days.

Styx, as they are now, with a very different line-up than their heyday, can sound however they want. For me, there's enough there to identify it as Styx, but it's also not quite what they've done before. I've always been a casual fan, but I like them and I'm glad to see both camps doing new stuff.

Both of these new pieces of music make me eager to hear more, so mission accomplished on both parts.

I prefer the Styx song to DeYoung's, mostly because, as others have mentioned, DeYoung's is oozing cheese. But I expect that from him. It's just good to see both acts creating good new music at this point in their careers.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I like the new tune okay, but apart from the middle part with the synth lines (which sounds a little Fooling Yourself-ish) it doesn't really sound like Styx. Doesn't really matter to me though. It doesn't really seem like a "song" though, more like a medley or overture or part of a larger concept. It mostly goes from one idea to the next, to the next, etc. Individually they're catchy ideas.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's pretty cheesy.
    Styx was always cheesy, even in their best Swiss fondue moments between 75 & 79.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    They're responsible for me being lactose intolerant today.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

I'll be chatting with members of Styx on my show pretty soon.

I heard the whole new album and it's really good! It's obviously a concept album with a theme about modern times. From power hungry leaders to the life we still have at home. Good balance of rockers with proggy touches and the solid acoustic driven tunes that you'd expect.

The thing is, this batch of tunes does not recall their old sound in particular. It's like they are far enough along to make whatever kind of album they want and they did. This does not readily sound like Styx, until the harmonies kick in. Then, yeah, you know. I hear a lot of echoes of Queen and Floyd here too. It's like they made an album that is more in that grand ballpark for real. Not just an....illusion.

Somehow they side stepped the cheese almost entirely and focused on the other parts of the Styx sound that were the best. Lots of excellent synth and organ on here and those killer guitar harmonies they are known for. Arrangement-wise this is probably the most advanced they have been too.

BTW Gowan sings lead on about 1/2 of the tunes and Tommy does the bulk of the rest.

DDY's new stuff blatantly mimics the usual Styx tropes. This album pretty much doesn't.
    Last edited by Sean; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

I heard the whole new album and it's really good! It's obviously a concept album with a theme about modern times. From power hungry leaders to the life we still have at home. Good balance of rockers with proggy touches and the solid acoustic driven tunes that you'd expect.

The thing is, this batch of tunes does not recall their old sound in particular. It's like they are far enough along to make whatever kind of album they want and they did. This does not readily sound like Styx, until the harmonies kick in. Then, yeah, you know. I hear a lot of echoes of Queen and Floyd here too. It's like they made an album that is more in that grand ballpark for real. Not just an....illusion.

Somehow they side stepped the cheese almost entirely and focused on the other parts of the Styx sound that were the best. Lots of excellent synth and organ on here and those killer guitar harmonies they are known for. Arrangement-wise this is probably the most advanced they have been too.

BTW Gowan sings lead on about 1/2 of the tunes and Tommy does the bulk of the rest.

DDY's new stuff blatantly mimics the usual Styx tropes. This album pretty much doesn't.
    Thanks for the inside news Sean, really looking forward to the new album, as well as your interview with them(will make a pot of coffee and sit back and enjoy, cause I know it will be a long, but friendly and informative conversation between passionate musicians).

I was struck how much Gowan channeled Freddy on the new song, he is such a big talent and I don't think he gets the recognition for that, especially from US fans. The guy was huge in Canada and had a very successful solo career.
    It seems Styx doesn't have to answer to record company executives, and I'm glad they are venturing outside the Styx box and literally doing their own thing.
    For a band to have survived this many decades and STILL be writing new material is amazing, so hats off to them for hanging in there. Many have given up and tour doing the "hits".

I don't mind DDY doing the Styx thing, cause I love the spirit and sound of it. And it's not like DDY is ripping off Styx, since he's 50% responsible for it's sound in the first place(this percentage may vary to personal opinion, in fact I just picked a number out of the cosmos). lol

If you get the chance, I think it would be great if you can also do an interview with DDY.(Tell his people(lol) you just did an interview with Styx, and see what happens).

DDY's new stuff blatantly mimics the usual Styx tropes.
    "blatantly mimics"?

I don't mind DDY doing the Styx thing, cause I love the spirit and sound of it. And it's not like DDY is ripping off Styx, since he's 50% responsible for it's sound in the first place(this percentage may vary to personal opinion, in fact I just picked a number out of the cosmos). lol
    I agree with this. I don't think Dennis is mimicking the Styx sound. He is such a major part of the classic Styx sound in the first place - some of his recent material sounds like what he wrote for Styx in the first place. In explaining the misanthrope song, he recently said " ‘Isle of Misanthrope’ is my musical journey back to the days of Styx’s ‘Equinox’ and ‘Suite Madame Blue’, as I attempt to explain the exasperating and confounding nature of mankind through metaphor. It’s got a good beat, but won’t be a hit at the disco ". Plus, if you listen to the second single released with Tom Morello, it does not have such an overt Styxian sound.

If you get the chance, I think it would be great if you can also do an interview with DDY.(Tell his people(lol) you just did an interview with Styx, and see what happens).
    Dennis' interviews are always entertaining to read/watch. He is usually very blunt, witty and honest. I haven't seem him do an in-depth one in quite some time and I would quite enjoy a Sean interview with him. Looking forward to hear from the Styx fellas as well.

Sounds like an exciting show, I'll be sure to tune in.

And thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new album; sounds promising! I still have to check out their last one.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I still have to check out their last one.
    It's excellent!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Here's a new acoustic track that has Gowan on lead vocals.

This title track has a lot of bits. Turns out it was 3 or 4 small tunes shimmied together. I had a chat with Lawrence yesterday and he mentioned that and a lot more about the new album.

Here's a new acoustic track that has Gowan on lead vocals.

This title track has a lot of bits. Turns out it was 3 or 4 small tunes shimmied together. I had a chat with Lawrence yesterday and he mentioned that and a lot more about the new album.
    I only had a chance to listen to the interview for a bit since I'm working on a project, and no time for fun stuff. lol
    But what I did hear was very interesting and I think musicians really enjoy your laid back, relaxed and knowledgeable way of discussing music(I wouldn't even call them interviews, more like a bunch of musicians sitting in a room together talking about something they love, and sharing a common bond).

His point about the four elements of a Styx song were cool, and pretty much right on.
    Thanks for posting these videos and interview. Keep up the good work(and I like the shorter format). lol

There's this moment in "Crash of the Crown" when whoever is singing is doing a hell of an impression of Freddie Mercury.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m sure Sean’s interview covers this, but what band(s) did Gowan come from originally? I only know of his solo album that Lifeson guests on.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’m sure Sean’s interview covers this, but what band(s) did Gowan come from originally? I only know of his solo album that Lifeson guests on.
    All I ever heard about in Canada was his solo work. He collaborated with ohters - Fripp, Jon Anderson, etc.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    There's this moment in "Crash of the Crown" when whoever is singing is doing a hell of an impression of Freddie Mercury.
    That's Gowan. He mentions it in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He started with a band called Rhinegold in the Toronto bar scene in the late 70's - saw them a few times until they split up around 1980 or so.

Since then he's performed under his name or with Styx.

^ Great info.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    He started with a band called Rhinegold in the Toronto bar scene in the late 70's - saw them a few times until they split up around 1980 or so.

Since then he's performed under his name or with Styx.
    Rhinegold doesn't ring a bell (though I was around in Toronto's bar scene - even if too young - looked old enough), but I think he started with Ronnie Hawkins.

I also remember destesting his early solo albums (like so many other AOR/FM rock albums of the era)
    Should maybe revisit.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.