Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Music From Styx

New Music From Styx

First single from the new album that drops in June. Sounds pretty proggy to me:

That sounded pretty good. I'm not sure I would call that typical prog but that's probably a good thing. Lol. It didn't even sound like typical Styx although it definitey had their identity on it (especially with the backing vocals).

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. Unashamedly, a big fan! Will check out the song after work.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

This made me smile!!! VERY Styx indeed...but very fresh sounding too. Very nice!!! Can't wait for the full LP...CD...download...stream...what do you call it these days...LOL!!!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Always lovin me some Styx. It's amazing these guys are still writing new material, and it's good.
    I've got Hundred Million Miles from Home on vinyl and it sounds fantastic. They went the analog route on that one, and it sounds like it got pressed right from the 70's. lol
    One question, did Gown channel Freddie Mercury at the 3:00 mark or what? wow! wow! wow!
    and then the little 4 way harmony at the end reminded me of Queen as well.

Can't wait until this comes out.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

I'm hoping for a 5.1 mix eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    and then the little 4 way harmony at the end reminded me of Queen as well.
    Not to mention the Brian May-ish guitar lead at the end. Sweet stuff.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I listened to the clip - It definitely sounds proggy. The Gowan vocals finally click in (which is a good thing). I like his piano playing. ts of energy. I'm a bigger fan of Gowan's vocals than DeYoung's (not knocking Denis though - like him too). It left me wanting more.

I really liked the harmonies. Sounds like James Young's lead vocals.

There's a 70s, Queen sound there too. Not bad. I think I liked it.

I like that a lot. But boy, I sure don’t think Styx when I hear that. I do want to hear more though.

This came out a few weeks ago and is the proggiest thing that has come out of the Styx camp in decades. He nails that classic Styx sound.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 05-06-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Todd Sucherman is a great drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Todd Sucherman is a great drummer.
    Sean did a SOAL episode on him. Down to earth kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I like that a lot. But boy, I sure don’t think Styx when I hear that. I do want to hear more though.

This came out a few weeks ago and is the proggiest thing that has come out of the Styx camp in decades. He nails that classic Styx sound.
    That is most definitely the classic Styx sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    That is most definitely the classic Styx sound!
    It's pretty cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's pretty cheesy.
    Regarding the video, I agree (and I only watched it for a minute or so.) I've always preferred to let my imagination create whatever visual elements any particular piece of music happened to inspire. Thankfully, what I consider to be the best output from DeYoung/Styx - Equinox, Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion, and Pieces of Eight - happened just before video became an inescapable requirement for new popular music releases. Most of my past encounters with Styx/DeYoung were appreciated as purely aural experiences, and that's probably why this band has continued to be counted among the favorites of my youth.

Regarding the song itself, it's fine to my ears.

coincidence this comes out the same time as Dennis DeYoung's new album........

kind of sounds like 70's Sweet.

I thought The Mission was excellent. I was surprised to see their first studio album of new material in nearly 15 years be a concept album.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    One question, did Gown channel Freddie Mercury at the 3:00 mark or what? wow! wow! wow!
    Yeah, that was really impressive and amazing. I didn't know Gowan had it in him.

I really liked The Mission too. Probably my favorite since PoE
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Reading through the comments on the De Young video, I clicked play but chose to listen and NOT watch the video. It's music anyway, right?

I dare say that the De Young song is much more Styx than Styx. Certainly, both are good songs. The Styx song sounded more like Meatloaf meets Queen to my ears. The De Young song had all of the classic Styx elements. Uncanny.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Nice to hear this; it may be called Styx but the mood and typical sound is different and sure has evolved since say, The Grand Illusion (1977). I have been a fan since then and have all those platinum albums, my least favorite is the Edge of the century (that had Glen Burtnik in for Tommy Shaw), never cared about Cyclorama.

They still keep that 70's sound but lack the bombastic sound that Dennis DeYoung contributed, the guitars dominate and the vocals are recognizable. Gowan sounds very much like DDY but the melodic synthesizer sounds are gone, we'll have see after listening to the whole album.

Thanks to Steve sly for sharing :-)

Thanks for posting. Life long Styx fan here.

The new Styx song seems like a grower. I really love The Mission, more than any album since Paradise Theater (and I didn't expect to like it). So any new album will have higher expectations. They really captured the essence of the "non-DDY" Styx.

Regarding the DDY, the video makes it so much worse, but I couldn't help thinking it was as if Spinal Tap did a parody of a Styx song. Sure it has some Suite Madame Blue in there and the shifts in the song are very Styx-like. But it also was rather cheesy, with a few poor keyboard patch choices and some lifts from songs like Lord of the Rings. Anyway, I admire what he is trying to do, but haven't gotten much mileage from his solo albums.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    kind of sounds like 70's Sweet.
    Which kind of sounds like Queen.

It's pretty cheesy.
    I had to listen to it without the visuals because it was painfully bad, almost Kilroy bad.

Not a bad song but i prefer the Tommy Shaw Styx Band. Sounds like he's going for the JY/Tommy twin guitar attack which is good. Keyboards hit and miss. Vocals ok but i was never really into Styx in their heyday because i just couldn't stomach DeYoung.

Definitely a step up from all of the ballad crap from years ago.

It's pretty cheesy.
    The video? Lord yes… 🤷*♀️🤷🏻🤷🏾*♂️