Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rush 40th's

Rush 40th's

Got some thoughts about these.

First. What the hell happened in Tuscon where 2112 sounds crazy? The intro sounds like it's taken from multiple recordings, spliced together. It's just slightly odd, then the rest happens.

It ain't right, with all the echo on Geddy's voice. Was that what the band heard when playing? If so, how the hell did they get through that? It really is the oddest version of 2112 I've heard. There's more than a few from their own releases and that one is something I wonder why they released it that way.

Cinderalla Man - what was the line from Geddy about getting funky?

Steven Wilson, great version of Twilight Zone. Not a fan of his music but he did that one very well. Something For Nothing, Jacob Moon, that's kinda meh. But, this ain't bad.

As for Twilight Zone live, the boot, if their liner notes are correct, that The Twilight Zone was only performed twice and this boot is one of them. I have a boot but it's packed up so I can't get to it. I got it from Napster and I, IIRC, think it's a different boot than the one they have. I seem to remember more people talking but I also could be thinking of another bands boot or maybe they took that out of the boot? Seemed to be a lot of talking about beer and pot, IIRC.

I've boxed up everything so we won't know until I unbox it.

Ok, so Tears, Lessons and Cinderella Man, the lyrics were written by Lee and Lifeson, not Peart. Doesn't say that on the albums. WTF? Even one of the discs has the credits for each song and it says the usual, music by Lee/Lifeson and lyrics by Peart. Music by Lee/Lifeson, lyrics by Peart. With Acknowledgement to Aynd Rand. Kinda burned into my memory.

All in all, they are fantastic. A great trip through that period when they were doing all the crazy stuff. I wonder if, when they get around to Grace Under Pressure, they give us the full show they recorded. Also be cool for live shows from Signals and Power Windows. I also wanna hear the original recording of Neil saying Subdivisions as I enjoyed the Solar Federation take, even though it's actually nothing.

I'll take what they can give us. I put in the dvd of Moving Pictures and it's not on a 5.1 system but it's the first time I ever heard the word day at the end of Tom Sawyer in all the studio recordings I've ever had. Also heard people talking at the beginning of The Camera Eye, never heard that clearly before. Couldn't hear the Westminster bells, that's kinda funny.

My sis raised an interesting question. Why didn't the air cars go over the bridge and follow him back to his farm?

Geddy and a Rick. Not much better sounds in all of rock n roll, IMHO. He gets a good growl. Plus, this was back in the day when drums actually sounded like drums. They seem to like 7 also.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    First. What the hell happened in Tuscon where 2112 sounds crazy? The intro sounds like it's taken from multiple recordings, spliced together. It's just slightly odd, then the rest happens.
    It was played like that all tour long, with the echo reverb on certain sentences. Try the 2112 in Detroit 1978 and/or Frankfurt 1979 if you never heard them. Kiiiiiillller version. Alex feels those solos like crazy. Also, near a complete 2112 too with only 1 part missing :-)

Both are soundboard recordings by the way.

My sis raised an interesting question. Why didn't the air cars go over the bridge and follow him back to his farm?
    Apparently the bridge was old, was two lanes, and made for cars the width of the ones we have today. The air car sounds like a glorified hovercraft, moving barely above the surface. However, wider than the two lane bridge.

What exactly are you talking about? A bootleg of some sort?

Ok, so Tears, Lessons and Cinderella Man, the lyrics were written by Lee and Lifeson, not Peart. Doesn't say that on the albums. WTF? Even one of the discs has the credits for each song and it says the usual, music by Lee/Lifeson and lyrics by Peart. Music by Lee/Lifeson, lyrics by Peart. With Acknowledgement to Aynd Rand. Kinda burned into my memory.
    You're mistaken. The lyrics to Tears were always credited to Geddy, the lyrics to Lessons to Alex. Not sure about Cinderella Man.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

You're mistaken. The lyrics to Tears were always credited to Geddy, the lyrics to Lessons to Alex. Not sure about Cinderella Man.
    Geddy wrote the lyrics to Cinderella Man.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Apparently the bridge was old, was two lanes, and made for cars the width of the ones we have today. The air car sounds like a glorified hovercraft, moving barely above the surface. However, wider than the two lane bridge.
    Wasn't it the air car that was "two lanes wide"?

"Suddenly ahead of me
    Across the mountainside
    A gleaming alloy air car
    Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
    At the one-lane bridge
    I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
    "

Although I would have thought that the hovercraft would be able to cross the river without the aid of a bridge.

^ Correct on the sizes of the air car and bridge. I should have checked the lyrics before posting. As for the last, apparently not. Why? I can't tell you.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing but I still prefer the synthesizer version, but I admire his creativity.

Try the 2112 in Detroit 1978
    Ah, a new boot to seek out. Launch the longships, it's time for pillage!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Ah, a new boot to seek out. Launch the longships, it's time for pillage!
    You will not regret it. Killer soundboard :-)

The one to look for is called Oak Oppression.

The eons are closing
    I had Tuscon previously so I too am gonna seek out DEtroit

edit -
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFb14...MudVzug/videos

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 05-06-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I found Detroit on Guitars 101
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Yeah, I got that one totally wrong. Had to pull out the album to set meself right. It's 2112 that has that byline. Been a long time since I pulled out a record.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Correct on the sizes of the air car and bridge. I should have checked the lyrics before posting. As for the last, apparently not. Why? I can't tell you.
    It took a non-Rush fan to point that out to me. I guess we all bought the story, because, Neil. They are air cars, just go over the damned bridge.

Here it is, Detroit 1978. Soundboard recording with one the few complete Hemisphere. A lot of tape change had to occured during that part of the concert so there's few complete Hemisphere. I think Frankfurt 1979 has a complete Hemisphere too. Another soundboard recording...

I found another show from Detroit on that tour, Ok Detroit it's called. Only got to Xanadu so far but there's that weird echo just a bit. Still don't understand why they chose to do that.

Crap, I forget which one, I think it's Hammersmith, with that intro where Geddy is singing something with classical music in the background, what was that?

ETA: I see that Detroit show ended with a drum solo, there was, IIRC, the Pink Pop that ended with a solo. Was that commonplace for Rush back then? Odd way to end a show.

It took a non-Rush fan to point that out to me. I guess we all bought the story, because, Neil. They are air cars, just go over the damned bridge.
    Yeah, but hovercrafts are usually only a short distance above the ground. Depending on how deep the river channel is, they'd have to go down over the edge, cross the water, and somehow make it up the other side. Probably impossible to negotiate a steep rise.
    <sig out of order>

Are we sure that air cars means a skirted hovercraft?

I've never thought about Red Barchetta in this detail before.

Prog fans, man.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've always been able to suspend my disbelief....until now.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Are we sure that air cars means a skirted hovercraft?

I've never thought about Red Barchetta in this detail before.
    The story is in Road & Track magazine from 11/73.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Black Forest also has a complete "Hemispheres". Recorded in Stadthalle, Offenbach, Germany (May 28, 1979)

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post

Here it is, Detroit 1978. Soundboard recording with one the few complete Hemisphere. A lot of tape change had to occured during that part of the concert so there's few complete Hemisphere. I think Frankfurt 1979 has a complete Hemisphere too. Another soundboard recording...
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Black Forest also has a complete "Hemispheres". Recorded in Stadthalle, Offenbach, Germany (May 28, 1979)
    Yes, and quite rare to have a complete Hemispheres, the song was placed in the set when, for bootleggers, it was time to flip side. Both Detroit 1978 and Black Forest 1979 are must and both have complete Hemispheres

The eons are closing
    Gonna listen later - on train now - but never heard this Lampinski taped show. Boston 79.

anyone have?

https://youtu.be/SMwQDmWEEhE

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I downloaded that a few weeks ago but have yet to listen. I suspect the usual Lampinski excellence.