Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy holidays CD sale: Prog, fusion, electronic and other genres

Happy holidays CD sale: Prog, fusion, electronic and other genres

Happy holidays everyone.

I have just added a great deal of rare CDs of several genres, most all are Buy it now/Best offer and some bulk CD lots are up for auction. I also just listed Allan Holdsworth’s entire discography (most of everything) sealed and remastered.

As usual I have lowered prices to be as competitive with all other sellers and I reprice as needed.

Find it all here:

https://www.discogs.com/seller/SourceCodeX/profile

https://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs/176984/...azz_fusion_guy

Wow, prices are high. Too rich for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Yes indeed.

Truth is, my rare CDs are typically 20% cheaper than other sellers — plus I offer the option of make an offer. Now that allows an even cheaper price if someone is interested. Most of my inventory is in the $4 to $15. That’s more than reasonable. As far as rare music goes — I once sold two CDs to a guy in Oregon for $900. He was thrilled while someone else might think WTH! You need to actually look through my inventory and compare prices on every e-commerce site — and then you will discover my prices are fair and reasonable. I buy tons of music for my personal collection so I do know a thing or two about fair pricing. Thanks ��������������

With all due respect, your definition of fair is based on what anyone is willing to pay for it. And you’re setting your prices of HTF or OOP stuff based on the high end of historical sales, hoping for that one suck…I mean savvy buyer out there to bite. Furthermore, you know some of these are not reasonable, and don’t truly know what the market value is, which is why you accept offers for lower. It’s a classic negotiating position and nothing new.

And it’s understandable that someone might “perceive” a low-pressed CD as having inherently rare value, but you don’t truly have enough data to adequately appreciate demand, so you’re really just throwing darts at the dartboard and using other wishful sellers like yourself to help set the price points for items that don’t really have one.

Just one example: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5746006?ev=rb

You’re even selling against yourself, offering a sealed copy for $40 more to give the impression your $84 listing is a bargain.

In any event, while we obviously allow people on PE this section to post CDs for sale, keep in mind this means you are using this place to advertise, so you may open yourself up to comments from the members when they spot something worth commenting on.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hmm, okay, I hear ya but obviously, I need not agree. Many years ago, I decided to sell my mint CD of Tonto’s Expanding Head Band Tonto Rides Again. Other Amazon sellers were asking $350 to $400. I priced mine at $250 and it immediately sold and buyer was absolutely ecstatic to get it. So, what I am trying to say — I sell my material cheaper than other sellers.

And thanks for doing the pricing research on my Whoopgnash listings at Discogs. Yes, I offer a range of prices on all my inventory. So what? It merely allows a buyer to buy it used versus new. New always commands a higher selling price. None of this stuff is rocket science requiring guesswork or a crystal ball. Of course the true historical and inherent value is determined by what a buyer is willing to pay for an item. Discogs and eBay both provide historical sales figures which sellers can choose to use or not. Same goes when I sell gear on Reverb, I use their Price Guide. I am not “poisoned” by seller ignorance here. I don’t think any of my past buyers would consider themselves suckers either. They knew what the wanted and they went for it.

On the aside, this is not my business or job — it is merely a hobby that allows me to buy gear to add more progressive music into the current glut available.

You can ask whatever you want for whatever you're selling -- and you might find a guy in Oregon with a spare $900. Your prices are too high for me however, and I didn't see any "bargains" among your listings. There will always be individuals willing to pay exorbitant prices for something they really want -- hell, I've done that a time or two myself -- but your prices are well above going market value.

In fact, let me tell a story. A couple years ago I ran across a Wendy Carlos CD in a used bookstore for $10. I knew the market for Carlos CDs was hugely overpriced due to unavailability, so I snapped up the CD and listed it online for I think $60 (which was still less than most other listings.). When a sale came in that same day, I was faced with a moral dilemma: do I scrape off the $10 price sticker? Or do I let my good luck spoil another buyer's day?

I decided my best karma was to pass on the luck. I mailed the CD (sticker intact) with $50 cash tucked inside. The buyer proved he REALLY wanted it, but $10 was what it should have been worth.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-18-2022 at 10:27 AM.

...your prices are well above going market value.
    Well heck, I just beg to differ. How is 12 remastered, new CDs for only $150 high? That's only $12.50 a piece! How is that high? Gimme a break.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/125631764498

Bill Connors' Return CD for $1.99 -- Ouch, so expensive.
    Hard Hat Area by Allan Holdsworth for $7.00 -- oh man, too high.
    KEN WATSON Assembly CD OOP PROG Happy the Man for $14.33 -- hmm, need to take out a loan maybe on the house . . .
    Isotope – Deep End...Plus CD IMPORT GARY BOYLE JAZZ ROCK FUSION GUITAR RARE MINT for $21.18 -- ooh baby dats so high!
    DIXIE DREGS - Dregs Of The Earth - CD - **MINT Condition** STEVE MORSE JAZZ ROCK for $16.00 -- now I'm gonna buy a Fender Start!
    John Lyell & Brent A. Reiland: Wormholes CD Space music Electronic synthesizers for $5.40 -- hmm so costly
    Dojo - Studiojo - CD - 2006 US pressing - Rare Jazz Rock Fusion Guitar for $9.00 -- highway robbery!!
    Piano Rags: Essential Classics by Scott Joplin for $0.99 -- that's it, never buying anything from this guy!
    his "prices are well above going market value."

wrong...

In fact, let me tell a story. A couple years ago I ran across a Wendy Carlos CD in a used bookstore for $10. I knew the market for Carlos CDs was hugely overpriced due to unavailability, so I snapped up the CD and listed it online for I think $60 (which was still less than most other listings.). When a sale came in that same day, I was faced with a moral dilemma: do I scrape off the $10 price sticker? Or do I let my good luck spoil another buyer's day?

I decided my best karma was to pass on the luck. I mailed the CD (sticker intact) with $50 cash tucked inside. The buyer proved he REALLY wanted it, but $10 was what it should have been worth.
    Nice story.

If you doubt my integrity in the slightest as a seller/reseller of CDs, then look here:

Been selling on Amazon since 2005 https://www.amazon.com/sp?ie=UTF8&se...p_merch_name_3 97% feedback rating

Selling on Discogs since 2020 https://www.discogs.com/user/SourceCodeX 100% feedback there

And on eBay I am a Top Rated seller with 100% feedback since 2002: https://www.ebay.com/usr/jazz_fusion_guy#tab1

I have never ripped anyone off in the past, not now and not in the future. I have a 30-day return window on everything I sell on eBay.

End of story.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    You may disagree, but everyone else finds you're CDs overpriced.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

So 4 people is "everyone else"? Poor statistical sample, mp.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceCodeX View Post
    I am looking to buy Fragile CDs with Koichi Yabori on guitar.
    I am looking to spend $12 to $20 each. The prices on Discogs and Amazon are too steep…
    Like the kids in the 60s would say, you’re either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem…MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Like the kids in the 60s would say, you’re either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem…MAN!
    well merry christmas to you too wayside/cuneiform.

That's a good anecdote, and while you don't need my approval or commentary, I appreciate what you did.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

After sorting the list from the highest prices and showing the first 25 I really should re-calculate the value of my collection as I have 11 titles (double titles not included); I'm over $ 1000,=!!
    https://www.discogs.com/seller/Sourc...Cdesc&limit=25

Thanks for looking. And again, I am shipping CDs out nearly every day. So, many people find my prices reasonable. Just look through my feedback and see that my past and repeat customers are quite happy.

If you look for problems in your estimation — you will always find them.

Codex, I am happy you are finding buyers. I hope you get a very merry Christmas out of your listings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking as much as you can get for your items. I wouldn't have described it as a "sale" with "lowered prices" but that's just me.

Codex, I am happy you are finding buyers. I hope you get a very merry Christmas out of your listings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking as much as you can get for your items. I wouldn't have described it as a "sale" with "lowered prices" but that's just me.
    Believe it or not, I am in the process tonight of going through ALL of my eBay listings and slashing prices up to 50% off to move inventory.

Besides that, I have my eye on some vintage effects pedals.

And as they say "Money now is worth more than money later." If I sell $50 of inventory -- I am all that much closer to affording music gear.

And I have really been listening to you guys here -- except for the obvious putz remarks serving no purpose except to show off in a public forum.

So, now -- it actually IS a SALE with freshly lowered prices.

Let's hope the sellers of vintage effect pedals are similarly motivated. That would be a win-win.

Let's hope the sellers of vintage effect pedals are similarly motivated. That would be a win-win.
    Now wouldn't that be nice.

BTW: I do discounted combined shipping. 3 CDs ship for only $5.65. I apply your discount after you select and pay for all you want.

I'm indifferent. I sell CDs here on occasion, I'm just looking for a few bucks when I sell off CDs I don't listen too much to, an extra copy (I've bought something I already had in my collection a few times) I don't ask a lot because I sell them as a lot, often bought by someone who will re-sell most of them.

Good luck in your sale.

BTW: I do discounted combined shipping. 3 CDs ship for only $5.65. I apply your discount after you select and pay for all you want.
    I didn't mention anything about your shipping charges because I thought they were reasonable. When I sell stuff through Amazon they specify like $2.99 for shipping, and you can't even buy a shipping envelope for that. Not to mention, shipping itself has gone sky high in the last couple of years. So, $5.65 sounds very reasonable.

Banned
    Probably when I die, they'll just clear out all the CD's, box sets, LPs and memorabilia I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on and just take it to the dump or drop it off at Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Probably when I die, they'll just clear out all the CD's, box sets, LPs and memorabilia I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on and just take it to the dump or drop it off at Goodwill.
    We should set up a clearinghouse. There are only a couple dozen of us in the world who know what any of this shit is worth, and Goodwill will just end up landfilling it. Maybe we can create a Library for Unwanted Music, a home for wayward art, a Museum of Musical Curiosities.

Banned
    We should set up a clearinghouse. There are only a couple dozen of us in the world who know what any of this shit is worth, and Goodwill will just end up landfilling it. Maybe we can create a Library for Unwanted Music, a home for wayward art, a Museum of Musical Curiosities.
    LOL, I like it!