Thread: David Paton on Alan Parsons, Kate Bush, Camel and more!

David Paton on Alan Parsons, Kate Bush, Camel and more!

Caught up with David yesterday and had a great chat about his career hilights.

For Episode #85 we caught up with David Paton and discussed his newest music, including the single "Communication". We also discussed the writing of the 70s classic pop song "Magic" from Pilot and it's well received follow up, "January". His work with Alan Parsons Project is looked at next, including info on the recording and writing process for classics like "Eye In The Sky", "Time", and others. We take a look at David's work with Kate Bush on her first two albums The Kick Inside and Lionheart including her well received single, "Wuthering Heights". His time with prog rockers Camel is discussed along with the albums he was on with them- The Single Factor and Stationary Traveler. Also, we look at his days playing with Elton John on 80s classics like "Nakita" from the Ice On Fire album and it's tour. Jimmy Page comes up too! We discuss the evolution of his basses used over the years including Fender, Rickenbacker, Wal and Music Man as well.

Thanks for this, I saw David many times with Rick Wakeman in the early 90's, cool fretless bass. Also saw him with Fish.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I've always been a fan.

I was a late to the party fan, and had no idea of everything he was involved in, and how talented he was until pretty much after the fact. I love, love many of the Pilot songs and the videos-make me smike every single time, "the boys" working with Alan Parsons later, his work and touring with Elton, and his work with Rick. Plus, he just seems like a super nice guy, who likes to just be happy.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

It's funny... I've always associated David Paton with all of these bands/artists individually but, until now, I didn't realize he worked with all of these bands/artists (if that makes any sense). Wow, what a career! I love his fretless bass on Rick Wakeman's albums and the live VHS/DVD from the 90's. Talk about an underrated musician. How are his solo albums? Any recommendations?

Here's our first Anniversary show for any that missed it.

Episode #86 celebrates the first anniversary of our debut episode. I am joined by my original co-host, Stephen Cox. Our first guest ever drops back by too- Anthony Mancini. Also, Ron Fuchs drops by to talk about his new talk show- ProgNaut. Then we watch the first of three reels of select stories shared by various guests we've had on in the past year. Tales from the likes of Tony Levin, Alan White, Steve Morse, Billy Cobham, Jeff Sipe, David Sancious, Kevin Godley, David Torn, Chad Wackerman, Andy West, Adam Nitti, Pat & Deborah Mastelotto, Steve Hackett, Mike Keneally, Percy Jones, Jerry Goodman, Roger Joseph Manning Jr and more!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here's our first Anniversary show for any that missed it.
    Congrulations on a whirlwind year. I've totally enjoyed watching many of these episodes. I like the casual flavour with musician to musician appreciation. I look forward to the highlights. I hope the popularity of this series, grows and grows.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Thanks, Greg!

These video interviews are so darn long!

Maybe I shouldn't treat them so well, then they would leave sooner!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Haven't watched the episode yet, but wonder if you discussed "Magic"'s use in a major drug ad here (Ozenta?). Hope he's raking in the bucks!

We did all though he was a little disappointed that they didn't ask him to re-record it, instead they use Studio musicians. He talked like Sony made all the choices but I would think he gets some sort of residuals.