Thread: YES first album and Time and a word cover differences

YES first album and Time and a word cover differences

I`ve got Yes first two albums with the band on the cover. Are these the original covers?
    Often you see the first album with yes typed in a balloon and the second album with the longlegged woman.

Also, why is Big Generator green/blue in the Vinyl version and yellow as a CD?

Anyone knows?

The band cover versions is how they were originally released in the US; the word balloon and floating woman covers were the original UK editions. The US first album cover, with the band in front of a house, was also used on a German edition of Time and a Word.

Quote Originally Posted by yes123 View Post
    I`ve got Yes first two albums with the band on the cover. Are these the original covers?
    Often you see the first album with yes typed in a balloon and the second album with the longlegged woman.

Also, why is Big Generator green/blue in the Vinyl version and yellow as a CD?

Anyone knows?
    Yes' debut album & Time And A Word were issued with different covers in the USA & UK. Atlantic Records in the US felt that the UK cover of TAAW would be called obscene (and not be placed in record shops) due to the 'long legged woman'. Also, the USA cover of that album features Steve Howe who had just replaced their original guitar player, Peter Banks (despite the fact that it was Banks & not Howe who plays on TAAW). For the first album, Atlantic US probably felt that the UK cover wasn't strong enough and felt the a picture of the band would be better. I don't know why Big Generator was issued with different colors for the album & CD release.

Also the first Yes album was a gatefold cover in the UK and only a single sleeve in the US when it came out in 1969. And Rhino Records would use the original UK album covers for the first two Yes LPs when they did their 'expanded & remastered' CD series on Yes in 2003.

I heard an interview with Jon who said that the record executives in the US felt as though the original Time and a Word cover was too sexually explicit for US audiences. He also said that Yesterdays was almost banned.

Do any of our resident Yes experts know where the picture was taken for the USA debut cover? What a bizarre building that is. Those two ominous eagles on top of the archway. Chris is leaning on what looks to me like a ghost/child statue. Tony on Pan playing a flute.

Ember
    Wikipedia says "The front cover of the United States and Canada pressings feature a photograph of the band at an architectural centre in Fulham taken by American photographer David Gahr.[5]"

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Do any of our resident Yes experts know where the picture was taken for the USA debut cover? What a bizarre building that is. Those two ominous eagles on top of the archway. Chris is leaning on what looks to me like a ghost/child statue. Tony on Pan playing a flute.
    I believe it was taken close to the communal Yes house in Fulham, London. It was shot at a builders merchants / architectural supplies centre, so full of reclaimed items from other properties, hence the strange mix of architectural features.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Note that Steve Howe is in the photo for the US Time And A Word despite not appearing on the album. I remember really getting a kick out of the original album covers when I first got them on the Rhino reissues from the early 00s. Im not a big fan of Open Your Eyes, but I think it is kind of (unintentionally?) cool how the album cover pays tribute to the original debut album cover with just the logo on a black background.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I heard an interview with Jon who said that the record executives in the US felt as though the original Time and a Word cover was too sexually explicit for US audiences. He also said that Yesterdays was almost banned.
    I've never really looked closely at the Yesterdays cover, I didn't realise the woman from TAAW was on there! Er, hang on there's two different sleeves there as well???

So what was the problem with the first album that they decided to use a different cover for the US market?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    So what was the problem with the first album that they decided to use a different cover for the US market?
    The US labels preferred straightforward band photos in those days I guess. Traffic's first album and Fairport Convention's first two albums with Sandy Denny also had the cover art switched.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I've never really looked closely at the Yesterdays cover, I didn't realise the woman from TAAW was on there! Er, hang on there's two different sleeves there as well???
    It's a cover that benefits from not being looked at too closely. But if you mean the cover with the floating woman and the one with the two children, those are just front and back. But both sides have the title logo.