Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Il Balletto Di Bronzo ‎– Ys (1972)

Gobble gobble gobble gobble...

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Ya right. Lots of cd's in the 1980's sounded amazing. It was "re-mastering" that messed them up. I don't think he was stalking about sound quality anyway.
    I've heard the early CD versions of Ys. Not good at all. I didn't much care for it either until I heard a better sounding recording. It's a harsh album to begin with. The poor sound quality amplifies that harshness.
    Last edited by progmatist; 05-02-2021 at 02:33 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I thought what I was hearing (320 MP3 through Bose speakers) sounded great, honestly.

But, in any case, this album is great!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I have the Polydor release with one bonus track. It's harsh and I don't play it as much as I want to because of it.. According to Jeff Carney (remember him?) the Polydor/ Mello Records release is the one to get.
    Also you need to track down "On The Road to YS & Beyond", which has the English version and other cool stuff.
    https://www.discogs.com/Il-Balletto-...elease/3493003
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

^ vinyl or CD?

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Sorry, that's all CD.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    According to Jeff Carney (remember him?) the Polydor/ Mello Records release is the one to get.
    What happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    What happened to him?
    He went in search of the warmest-sounding OG vinyl known only to the top brass of audiophiles and was never heard from again. I suspect the CD mafia had something to do with it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    He went in search of the warmest-sounding OG vinyl known only to the top brass of audiophiles and was never heard from again. I suspect the CD mafia had something to do with it.
    Last I heard, he got exiled to the Klingon penal planet Rura Penthe.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A CD from 1989 is going to have rather poor sound quality. Technology had not yet advanced enough to compensate for the shortcomings of the CD format.
    Totally untrue. Many times early CDs have the best sound due to more of a straight transfer rather than the over-compressed "remasters".

^^ The vast majority of early CD transfers have drums which sound like cardboard boxes, chief among other issues.

I've played this album to a few younger friends and they said it reminded them of The Mars Volta. I hadn't thought of that before but I can hear it now.
    Their first album Sirio 222 is also really good but more hard rock than prog

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Totally untrue. Many times early CDs have the best sound due to more of a straight transfer rather than the over-compressed "remasters".
    Indeed. Lots of early Cds sound just fine.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    One of my favourite prog albums from Italy. Intense stuff.
    Although I WTF'd heavily early on about this album (not just the opening, but the vocals in general), I've come to love it, and find it very close to my top 5 Italian albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I think more of the 8-tracks Mano Nera

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Yup, TBH, I +/- date the start of the (sometimes heavily) flawed remasterings in the mid-90's.
    First time I became aware of painful mastering was with DSOTM's XXth Anniv boxset.

^^ The vast majority of early CD transfers have drums which sound like cardboard boxes, chief among other issues.
    If that was +/- true and it's their only problems, I'll take it

Cos there is much more wrong with more recent remasters.

I mean, it's not that difficult to make a proper CD transfer of a good-shape vinyl. I did it plenty of times with my Hi-Fi CDR burner straight from the vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Ya right. Lots of cd's in the 1980's sounded amazing. It was "re-mastering" that messed them up. I don't think he was stalking about sound quality anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Indeed. Lots of early Cds sound just fine.
    Yup. But TBH, a lot of them were quick jobs - probably not intended to be definitive remasterings

Often, they were not/never bettered afterwards with conscienscious remastering jobs.

Of course, I still listen to my music with an early-90's stereo and in the car.

Maybe latest remasters (SW included) sound good with 5.1 or home cinema stuff, but on a normal Hi-Fi chain (Yamaha or NAD), they're not an improvement to my ears. Often the reasons why I indulge is a better package/booklet or interesting bonus tracks or added video.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A few years ago a friend played a vinyl copy (probably a reissue) of this for me. Knocked me out. The next day I went out and got a CD copy for myself.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

How can one not love the Primo Incontro section with that hip 5/4 groove within that tritone vamp? I guess it's possible, but that moment is merely one that slays.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

If a curious newcomer wanted, say, three tracks that encapsulate the essence of Italian prog, I would choose Epilogo from this record as one of them. It's a glorious representation of one sizeable component of the sound of that vast world.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A CD from 1989 is going to have rather poor sound quality. Technology had not yet advanced enough to compensate for the shortcomings of the CD format.
    I guess I've been doing it all wrong, then. For a long time now, I've been buying the Japanese reissues that were put out at the very end of the 80s and early in the 90s. Mostly because of the sound quality. I think I'll be sticking with that approach.

This is simply one of the best prog albums ever, not just one of the best from Italy.

If I was forced to create a desert island list of 10 prog albums, I would have a very hard time keeping this off of it.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    I've played this album to a few younger friends and they said it reminded them of The Mars Volta. I hadn't thought of that before but I can hear it now.
    Their first album Sirio 222 is also really good but more hard rock than prog
    I've been wanting to hear the first album for ages now, but have never had the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I mean, it's not that difficult to make a proper CD transfer of a good-shape vinyl. I did it plenty of times with my Hi-Fi CDR burner straight from the vinyl.
    It's not that difficult today, or in recent years. Moore's law being what it is, even an old obsolete Hi-Fi recorder was light years ahead of what they used in the 80s. The reason we've been expected to buy remaster after remaster after remaster is as digital tech has exponentially multiplied, it became possible to make better and better sounding CD transfers. Somewhere along the line, yes. The propensity to make music loud also found its way to CD transfers. BTW: the first consumer level CD burners required an engineering degree to use, and many drink coasters were made in the process. That changed with Easy CD Creator.
    Last edited by progmatist; 05-03-2021 at 06:09 PM.

I bought this LP in '74 or '75. At that time, I only liked one track ("Epilogo"). Flash forward to the 90's, when I found a CD at our local record convention. Every time I listen to it, I like it more. Still not a favorite, but solid.

Ys was the one which opened my personal door to Italian Prog. I was so amazed when I heard it that I just HAD to check out others, and on and on it went. It's still a favorite.

And, yes, many '80s CDs sound great.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Gianni Leone kind of fits the same tendency that Mike Oldfield had with his Tubular Bells spinning countless alternate versions and rehashing of the same idea.

After YS, Leone released Trys and Official Bootleg both that included Primo Incontro and Donna Vittoria but to his credit, those live records sounded great!
    But YS is a hidden treasure indeed and a huge achievement in Italian Prog.

I remember folks talking about this album in hushed tones during get togethers around the mid 90s Progfests in LA. So of course we all dutifully threw money at Greg Walker or whomever and acquired it. My take on it is: Not the album to convert your girlfriend to prog.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.