Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Il Balletto Di Bronzo ‎– Ys (1972)

Il Balletto Di Bronzo ‎– Ys (1972)

Any fans? I only got turned on to them last night at a friend's house. I immediately went on Discogs and bought a CD!

We've had shitloads of discussions on this! I always enjoyed the singular "feature"-thread on it a few years back: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ghlight=isolde

Not saying it doesn't deserve even more words, tho'.

It's been six years since that thread. Great times have passed, and we're getting very old and wornout now. It remains a classic, however. The album, I mean.

Snyder's pretzels too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

At times chaotic, brooding, creepy, and intense. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I always enjoyed the singular "feature"-thread on it a few years back: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ghlight=isolde
    Going back now, that's a pretty wild thread.

We had a similar one on Cervello's Melos, IIRC.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The beginning of this album is so creepy that I always start out thinking "Oh man, what have I done?" when I put it on. But another minute in and I'm so glad I did! Possibly my favorite classic Italian prog album.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The beginning of this album is so creepy
    While I don't find it "creepy", it's most definitely one of those startoffs that unequivocally signals "seriousness" to proceedings.

Quite possibly one of the ten-or-so greatest openings to any progressive rock album I know. It doesn't merely "set tone", it sets overall standard.

I'm still in the "It's a good album, but not a great album" camp. Since I've had the CD since 1989, it's pretty likely that I'll be sticking with that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post

Any fans? I only got turned on to them last night at a friend's house. I immediately went on Discogs and bought a CD!
    Welcome to Earth!

This is/was one of my all-time prog favs, since it's release in the 70's...!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm still in the "It's a good album, but not a great album" camp. Since I've had the CD since 1989, it's pretty likely that I'll be sticking with that opinion.
    No! You'll listen MORE, Moe!

You'll commence ten years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A CD from 1989 is going to have rather poor sound quality. Technology had not yet advanced enough to compensate for the shortcomings of the CD format.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I went back to listen tonight, and not only does it still hold up but it absolutely slays. I usually play it about once a year, but oh lord - this is one immensely powerful statement in rock music.

When I pull it out, I always tend to think that I've somehow sheltered myself to its emotional and sensible crunch since last time, but this strategy never works. That desperate voice against the frenetic girth of the monophonic synthesizer, stumping into the improvisational part in fast-paced 7/4; there's simply nothing like this. When the electric guitar hits that passage and pumps it into high-frequency sonic chaos, this is one of the most ecstatic things I ever heard from a rock band.

Apparently, Gianni Leone was one of few Italian "progressive" musicians in the 70s to admit to systematic toxic influence (next to Bartocetti of Jacula). You can hear that here. This is transcendently perilous stuff, very different from other Italian compatriots of the day.

I listened a few weeks back at night and absolutely loved it, although I've been more obsessed with Zarathustra lately. Essential though.

While I don't find it "creepy", it's most definitely one of those startoffs that unequivocally signals "seriousness" to proceedings.

Quite possibly one of the ten-or-so greatest openings to any progressive rock album I know. It doesn't merely "set tone", it sets overall standard.
    This would be hyperbole if it wasn’t true.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    After the creepy beginning, sounds quite decent. Bought it at my first NF when Magma, Anglagard, and Camel played.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Creepy crowth, sinister reptile lofty coil and deathlike.

Not only a fan, but got to see them perform at the second NEARfest (well, it was Gianni Leone, plus a new rhythm section, no guitarist, but it was still awesome). Ys was, I think, the first Italian band I heard, thanks to a radio show that used to be on WRUW FM. I made a cassette tape of the album from that show, and had for a couple years.

Have ever issued a version of the album on CD where the tracks are correctly indexed?

... but it absolutely slays.
    This pretty much sums it up, and there is no hidden motive or pretentioutness involved. It was made to slay, and it absolutely succeeds in it. I can imagine the gang gathering and saying "let's make the craziest, loudest, most delirious music ever put in record".

Love it so much I spent a stupid amount to get the original Italian vinyl. Worth every penny. And probably still cheaper than what the Genesis 2021 tickets will be....

Gave it a fresh spin tonight, inspired by this thread. An album with some killer moments, but not one I'd personally put in my top Italian releases, or top Prog releases. For me, just a bit too unfocused and overly reliant on riffs to carry long passages where not a whole lot else is happening. I did notice the drumming is really quite excellent, and the bass is mixed really well so you can hear it clearly, so that's an interesting discovery. For me this sits comfortably at the top of the "second tier" of Italian Prog releases, which is a lofty position given the quality of stuff form Italy in the 70s. But I still don't think it's "all that" as many do. Whatever. It's a good album. Enjoy.

Bill

I appreciate everyone chiming in on this. It's cool to see all the love for it.

Like I said, I only just heard it yesterday. I always try to search for lesser-known prog. So many folks are stuck on the big-leaguers like Yes, Rush, etc (and rightfully so), but I love to dig for things that may have missed the limelight back in the day.

Other stuff like this I've come across has been Circus, Alphataurus, Barock, and Fields.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Welcome to Earth!

This is/was one of my all-time prog favs, since it's release in the 70's...!
    Where did you hear or get this back then? How did you know about it, if you don't mind my asking? Just curious.

No! You'll listen MORE, Moe!
    By offending one of us, you offend us all! Seriously though, what is holding you back?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Not only a fan, but got to see them perform at the second NEARfest (well, it was Gianni Leone, plus a new rhythm section, no guitarist, but it was still awesome).
    Same but at a Baja Prog ... love it!.
    This is a "desert island disc" for me ... even these days!.

Anecdote:
    Gianni Leone is quite a character as, of course, a good keyboard player and showman; for example, he changed his suits and/or clothes from time to time and was very friendly and talkative to everybody.

At the festival's farewell party, which was held in a disco that year, I went to pee and without realizing, I was next to Gianni who also was attending his "call of nature" ... and right there we started talking and within 5 minutes more or less, the bathroom was full of people enjoying the chat, jokes and drinks with Gianni!

This is my "bathroom's anecdote" with Gianni Leone. (priceless!)

Pura Vida!!
    Last edited by TCC; 05-02-2021 at 01:10 AM.

One of my favourite prog albums from Italy. Intense stuff.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A CD from 1989 is going to have rather poor sound quality. Technology had not yet advanced enough to compensate for the shortcomings of the CD format.
    Ya right. Lots of cd's in the 1980's sounded amazing. It was "re-mastering" that messed them up. I don't think he was stalking about sound quality anyway.

Pulled it off the shelf for an early morning spin. It still has that magic that I remember washing over me the first time I ever heard it. It was one of the first (if not the first) Italian albums I heard outside the Big Three bands, and all these years later, I still find it utterly enchanting from beginning to end. Although I often cite Darwin! as the album that opened the door to the enormous world of Italian music for me, this might be the one that blew the door off its hinges.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***