Thread: RESISTOR: The 5th Season - new album

RESISTOR: The 5th Season - new album

I've been spinning the new album from Resistor this past week, and it's another winner! In fact, it's up there with their best IMO. Some great rockin' prog with all their usual elements. I know there are some fans here, you should definitely check this one out!

I'll be posting my new interview with Steve Unruh soon.

https://essentials.progrock.com/prod...-fifth-season/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm a fan. When does this come out? I don't see it for sale yet.

I love those first two Resistor albums. Great songwriting paired with enthusiasm and humor. You can still hear that Resistor started as a jam band between a couple of colleagues at work. These guys are having FUN. "Rise" is still one of my favorite retroprog albums.
    Later the sound got more serious and darker, especially on Underground. Still good but not as exiting as those first two.

I will certainly get the new one. I hope it shows up on bandcamp.
    https://resistor222.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I'm a fan. When does this come out? I don't see it for sale yet.
    If you check the link Progatron gave you will find out.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've been spinning the new album from Resistor this past week, and it's another winner! In fact, it's up there with their best IMO. Some great rockin' prog with all their usual elements. I know there are some fans here, you should definitely check this one out!

I'll be posting my new interview with Steve Unruh soon.

https://essentials.progrock.com/prod...-fifth-season/
    Great news, have been waiting for a new one from them. Ordered

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I love those first two Resistor albums. Great songwriting paired with enthusiasm and humor. You can still hear that Resistor started as a jam band between a couple of colleagues at work. These guys are having FUN. "Rise" is still one of my favorite retroprog albums.
    Later the sound got more serious and darker, especially on Underground. Still good but not as exiting as those first two.

I will certainly get the new one. I hope it shows up on bandcamp.
    Again, to get it check the link from Progatron. Love all of their recordings, too bad all the early ones were only released as CD-Rs. Hopefully someone will pick these up and give them a proper release.

Underground is certainly darker but also a great Sci Fi story. One really has to follow it to fully appreciate it. Anyway, it is the same with the older ones as well, but with some of them I was laughing out loud. Should really go and refresh them before the new one arrives

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Love all of their recordings, too bad all the early ones were only released as CD-Rs. Hopefully someone will pick these up and give them a proper release.
    I believe they were reissued on pressed CD in The Box Set, which came out at the end of 2016. It was the first four albums plus the Live At ROSfest album and an EP of odds and sods. I'm not sure how many of those they made, or how easy it is to come by now though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I believe they were reissued on pressed CD in The Box Set, which came out at the end of 2016. It was the first four albums plus the Live At ROSfest album and an EP of odds and sods. I'm not sure how many of those they made, or how easy it is to come by now though.
    Have this box and happy to have it, as otherwise the early albums were pretty much unavailable at the time. Do not think they were available at that time on bandcamp, not even sure if the bandcamp was around then or at least widely known and used by bands. However, these are still CD-Rs.

Have this box and happy to have it, as otherwise the early albums were pretty much unavailable at the time. Do not think they were available at that time on bandcamp, not even sure if the bandcamp was around then or at least widely known and used by bands. However, these are still CD-Rs.
    Ahh, okay. Wasn't sure as Discogs doesn't list them as such. It's the one item I don't own, I already have all the individual titles so I didn't shell out for that one.

Unruh interview about this new album and lots from his past work on the way soon! I've got to trim it, he's a talker.

If you check the link Progatron gave you will find out.
    Doh says D'oh!

Ahh, okay. Wasn't sure as Discogs doesn't list them as such. It's the one item I don't own, I already have all the individual titles so I didn't shell out for that one.

Unruh interview about this new album and lots from his past work on the way soon! I've got to trim it, he's a talker.
    It seems there would be no point for you to buy the box then, although, not sure if the 6th title there, CD-EP Sideband Transmissions, is available anywhere else ... other than the bandcamp site. Some other titles in the box may be remastered. Again, probably nothing Resistor's bandcamp website could not remedy.

Looking forward to the interview then. Steve Unruh is one of the nicest guys out there. Together with Phideaux presently they are the two most appreciated by me US artists, and with the most anticipated releases. To have both of them release "Live @ Monforti Manor" was really something and only confirmed my sentiments, great stuff even in more acoustic setting.

Thanks again for posting about the new Resistor album, could have missed it otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Doh says D'oh!

Interview now up! Enjoy, it was a great one.

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...ath-and-music/

Interview now up! Enjoy, it was a great one.

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...ath-and-music/
    Great interview, appreciate posting the link to it here. You were right, it is quite long and yet you said you had to trim it ... wow
    It was interesting to follow the interview, with some exact points I have mentioned in one of my previous posts. Anyway, it made me anticipate the new album even more now ... hope it arrives soon. Thanks again

Great interview, appreciate posting the link to it here. You were right, it is quite long and yet you said you had to trim it ... wow
    Not only did I trim it, I hacked off huge portions of it. It's still a bit on the long side where I know I'm going to lose some people, but I didn't want to lose anything else. It looks great on my PC, and decent on my wife's iPad. Much less so on a smartphone, where there's a lot more scrolling that makes it seem even longer. Oh well. I hope it reaches some people. Steve's great and so are Resistor.

New album now added to Bandcamp:

New album now added to Bandcamp:

This is on the shopping list for next bandcamp friday.

And thanks for the interview! Great read.

Listening for the 2nd time and getting used to harder edged (at least on some tracks) sound of it. A tough act to follow Major Parkinson's - Blackbox album.
    Back to it ...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Also on bandcamp is a new name-your-price LP, Live from the Underground! Thanks to Disco Dave for the heads-up.

https://bandcamp.com/download?id=318...e99&type=album

I do not think that the 5th season is going to replace one the first two as my favorites, however 'Aurora' is an absolute schorcer!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I do not think that the 5th season is going to replace one the first two as my favorites, however 'Aurora' is an absolute schorcer!
    Tend to think the same way, throwing into the count also the earlier Underground album. Although, once influence of the imagery from the Major Parkinson's "Blackbox" album has worn off. "The 5th Season" sounded better and better. Perhaps what is missing here vs. the previous albums, is the excellent story writing / story telling from Steve. Anyway still a great album to have and if Resistor is to follow the seasonal path power to them ... after winter, should be spring, then summer and fall ...something to look forward to