Thread: Baja Prog - do you have a story to tell?

Baja Prog - do you have a story to tell?

Hi Everyone

I have started my new series on Baja Prog and the first show is now available on mixcloud.com/magmashark. For these shows I am playing music from the bands that played and telling stories surrounding the festival and why I considered it to be the best prog rock festival. If you have a story about an experience at baja prog and want it heard you can post your story here and I can refer to it.

So starting in 2000 I want to hear your story. Maybe you discovered a new band that became a favorite, or you met with one of your prog rock heroes or something funny or unusual happened .... let's hear it.

The show is live every Friday night on Kootenay Coop Radio 93.5 in Nelson, BC and broadcast online at https://www.kootenaycoopradio.com/
    and then podcast on mixcloud.com/magmashark

Simply post your story to this thread and I will try to work it into the broadcast.

And remember .... Alfonso is listening!
    Last edited by MagmaShark; 05-05-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Here's my review of the new Cast album, Vigesimus:

Cast - Vigesimus
    The Prog Corner

You definitely want LP (Mysterious Traveller) to chime in!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cal, I was never at a Baja Prog, but was always interested in it and used to read peoples' reports and reviews. Those parties that Alfonso Vidales threw at his own place sounded especially fun. Hard to imagine running a festival AND hosting people at your home at the same time.

BTW. I believe Alfonzo's wife may have just recently passed away; there's a notice on the Cast Official FB page. I'm not certain it was his wife, but I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Cal, I was never at a Baja Prog, but was always interested in it and used to read peoples' reports and reviews. Those parties that Alfonso Vidales threw at his own place sounded especially fun. Hard to imagine running a festival AND hosting people at your home at the same time.

BTW. I believe Alfonzo's wife may have just recently passed away; there's a notice on the Cast Official FB page. I'm not certain it was his wife, but I think so.
    Thanks for your informative post. BTW...with the entire internet at your fingertips, why would you post "I believe Alfonso's WIFE may have recently passed away"? On both CAST's and Alfonso's FACEBOOK pages is this notice:

In Memoriam. Ana Luisa Moreno from Vidales 1935-2021 ��︎. Great pianist who promotes art in our city and state, Mother of Alfonso Vidales, keyboardist and composer of CAST. RIP.

So how is it that "you think so" that is was his wife? I'm not trying to be mean or a jerk here...but really!!! Did you read the post/notice before you make a death announcement!!! How did you miss "Mother"? My condolences and prayers to Alfonso. Also, Lupita, Alphonso's wife, is a lovely, talented, very friendly lady.

BTW...I attended 9 BajaProg's including the last one. It was indeed the BEST of the best festivals!! And yes...the after-parties at Alfonso's house were incredible. Fantastic homemade Mexican food, great way to chat with bands...and the LIVE Mariachi band that showed up at 2:00 AM was the stuff of legend. All this for FREE!!! Glad the neighbors were understanding...LOL.
    Last edited by progcd54; 04-28-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Here's my review of the new Cast album, Vigesimus:

Cast - Vigesimus
    This flipped my switch. Just purchased it from Cast's website.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Thanks for your informative post. BTW...with the entire internet at your fingertips, why would you post "I believe Alfonso's WIFE may have recently passed away"? On both CAST's and Alfonso's FACEBOOK pages is this notice:

In Memoriam. Ana Luisa Moreno from Vidales 1935-2021 ��︎. Great pianist who promotes art in our city and state, Mother of Alfonso Vidales, keyboardist and composer of CAST. RIP.

So how is it that "you think so" that is was his wife? I'm not trying to be mean or a jerk here...but really!!! Did you read the post/notice before you make a death announcement!!! How did you miss "Mother"?
    I THINK they added the line about the deceased being his mother, but in any case I used the words "I believe" and "I'm not certain it was his wife" to alert readers that I wasn't certain it was his wife. Sorry if it still caused you distress.

I attended the festival in 1999 and 2000. Both were great events that enjoyed very much.

Let's see, some random memories.

I liked the venue very much. There was also a Chinese restaurant near the hotel that I remember eating at a lot.

Both Halloween and After Crying were favorites, they played both years I believe.

The after-show party at Alfonso's house was great. Got to interact with many of the musicians and guests. In 1999 Alfonso gave brief tours of the Cast studio which was attached to the house.

I remember one of the evenings hanging out with the lead guitarist/vocalist of Five Fifteen, he was a total hoot. And the drummer of the band Eclat, real nice guy.

There were some warm-up type of shows at the Hotel. I remember seeing Codice there.

Some other bands I enjoyed were Quidam, Tempano, and of course Cast. Trying to remember others, will have to do some googling.

Enjoyed the whole experience in Mexicali.

Lots of great stories from the years I attended - but finding time to write them all out...! The John Wetton story is one of the best; or meeting David Bischoff, seeing Halloween twice and being blown away (Geraldine was like the female version of Matthew Parmenter during those shows); stories about Landmarq, Discuc, Ten Jinn, filming that first After Crying performance which still ranks as one of the great concerts I'd ever experienced; an all-nighter with the guys from Arena....yes, lots and lots of memories! --Peter

^^^ That After Crying show would have been on my bucket list. Lucky you!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    There were some warm-up type of shows at the Hotel. I remember seeing Codice there.
    I saw Codice open Prog Fest 2K. I thought they were great. Unfortunately, they vanished without a trace after their superb 2CD Alba Y Ocaso and follow-up CDr EP Parteaguas. Sheesh, that was 21 years ago this summer!

I was there in 2005 and 2006. Highlights I recall were Eclat, Midori, and Jacques Menache at the hotel venue and great beer and tacos!

I will have to jog my memory to recall who else I saw!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This flipped my switch. Just purchased it from Cast's website.
    Dude, you are so NOT going to regret that purchase!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Dude, you are so NOT going to regret that purchase!!!
    Your review was excellent - had to buy it!!

If you have a story and want to tell it yourself on the show please PM me so we can arrange a time to talk and record it.

I was always impressed on how Alfonso could put on the festival each year, pretty much release a new Cast album every year, and hold down his day job as a lawyer.

I attended every Baja Prog, except the first one. Which was only a single day, and only at the Hotel.

So many great stories...

Watching the first After Crying performance, sitting just a coupe of seats away from Géraldine Le Cocq from Halloween. Watching her break into tears at the shear joy of After Crying's amazing performance.

Leaving Alfonso's house at 2:00 AM to head back to the hotel, in Greg Walker's overloaded minivan, being asked by a drunk John Wetton for a ride to the hotel. Telling him we had no room. Pulling a block or so away, everyone looking at each other, and agreeing we had to find a way to fit him in, "it's John f'n Wetton!". Went back, repacked the van, somehow finding the room to fit him in. As we were pulling away, I (stuffed in the far back of the van) said to him, "you do know you will have to regale us with an acapella version of "The Night Watch" for payment for this ride, right?". To which he answered, "Ah... give an old man a break".

Sound check for Arti e Mestieri, watching a 55+ year old, amazingly fit, Furio Chirico, break 2 drum sticks and a snare head within a matte of minutes.

I have more stories, which I will post later.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell