Thread: The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

He wasn't even playing when he bet on games, having taken a leave of absence to work on mental issues. The League hasn't even said they were Falcons games. This is draconian and silly, imo.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/sport...spt/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He wasn't even playing when he bet on games, having taken a leave of absence to work on mental issues. The League hasn't even said they were Falcons games. This is draconian and silly, imo.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/sport...spt/index.html
    Why is it silly? It's pretty black and white. Just ask Pete Rose.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Because the whole league is in bed with gambling.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, but you can't have people involved in games betting on the outcomes of games. Especially with how large scale betting is now. Thankfully he wasn't with the club at the time, but still...i'm fine with this punishment as hopefully a deterrent for similar behavior.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    According to that article...

The league says the gambling allegedly took place during a five-day period in late November 2021 while Ridley was not with the team and was away from the club's facility on the non-football illness list.

And...

A few weeks prior, on October 31, Ridley announced he was stepping away from the Falcons for personal reasons.

In essence, he wasn't even affiliated with the team at the time, let alone a player.

Pete Rose, otoh, bet on Reds' games while he was their manager.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

Pete Rose has gotten a raw deal for decades. It's silly because millions of Americans gamble, and betting lines are as common on matchup previews as which city the game is played in.

The League could require all personnel to submit the bets they have wagered into a private database, and if there's reason to suspect someone is trying to "throw" games, a review of the game film could be done, and disciplinary action taken where needed. I suspect that that need would never arise.

It's not silly at all. The rules are the rules, and they're very explicit: professional athletes cannot bet on their sport.

It's an extremely easy rule to follow, as well. Ridley is an idiot and deserves what he's getting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's not silly at all. The rules are the rules, and they're very explicit: professional athletes cannot bet on their sport.

It's an extremely easy rule to follow, as well. Ridley is an idiot and deserves what he's getting.
    Yup, with the expansion of sports betting in more and more states there is even more of a microscope on players than there was in the past. The rule is very simple. If you play the sport professionally, you cannot bet on that sport period.

Then they need to change the rules. It's a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" approach, using a broad application to try and root out a specific perceived potential problem. Much like Prohibition did back in the '20s.

Then they need to change the rules. It's a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" approach, using a broad application to try and root out a specific perceived potential problem. Much like Prohibition did back in the '20s.
    Yes, let's go round and round with that one, just like the over time rules. Should be easy.

I have a difficult time believing there isn't an increasing number of players that bet "indirectly" or "anonymously" on games. And now with the sub-bets you can place on an athlete's performance really opens up the kind of potential corruption that occur in the future.

"Did I actually drop that pass, or was I just trying to make sure I didn't hit my over/under?"

I think there should be case-by-case outcomes, and Ridley's mental condition and time away from the team should factor into it. 1 year seems like an overreach that they can tack onto a star athlete who isn't currently paying off, to appear like they are "serious".
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

We're not going to agree here.

^ All good points, Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I have a difficult time believing there isn't an increasing number of players that bet "indirectly" or "anonymously" on games. And now with the sub-bets you can place on an athlete's performance really opens up the kind of potential corruption that occur in the future.

"Did I actually drop that pass, or was I just trying to make sure I didn't hit my over/under?"

I think there should be case-by-case outcomes, and Ridley's mental condition and time away from the team should factor into it. 1 year seems like an overreach that they can tack onto a star athlete who isn't currently paying off, to appear like they are "serious".
    There were cases a few years ago on prop bets on soccer in England where you could bet on things like "time until the first throw in" and players would kick the ball off the field straight from kick off to realize a bet.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    This thread has gone from trying to fix OT to player gambling 😜

Who says football has an off season

Wilson to Broncos, eh?

The eons are closing
    My first thought was - wow, that makes AFC West the toughest division - then I remembered the Raiders

[emoji2957]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Wilson to Broncos, eh?
    FFS
    Ian

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was kinda hoping Wilson would go to the Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

A lot of players play fantasy football, which is currently not considered gambling, although it can get into some big money.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There were cases a few years ago on prop bets on soccer in England where you could bet on things like "time until the first throw in" and players would kick the ball off the field straight from kick off to realize a bet.
    This feels like a problem to me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Out of respect to the new thread, I'll close this one.

Glad to have the discussion though. I'd rather talk gambling, trade/FA, and OT than which athlete broke the vertical leap at the combine.

Oh shit, forgot...

**THREAD CLOSED**