Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Exactly!
    To be clear, I am not at all concerned about what might happen to others who may find themselves in a similar situation. It's not like we're talking about 80-90 year old men just having a chat, we're talking about men in their 50s and 60s who sit in positions of power and influence and know that engaging in any such activity or discussions is/was inappropriate, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, whenever. This is isn't about political correctness. They're not getting canceled, they're getting outed.

Can’t read on iPhone. Thumbnail posting on PE classic is weak.
    Not really, he said he didn’t mean to hurt anyone. Any attack he did to the NFL was appropriate.
    Interesting....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    To be clear, I am not at all concerned about what might happen to others who may find themselves in a similar situation. It's not like we're talking about 80-90 year old men just having a chat, we're talking about men in their 50s and 60s who sit in positions of power and influence and know that engaging in any such activity or discussions is/was inappropriate, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, whenever. This is isn't about political correctness. They're not getting canceled, they're getting outed.
    Sure it’s about political correctness. It’s certainly not about performance which seems to have succumbed to political correctness. I don’t agree with the assertion that it’s appropriate to cancel people without due process and opportunity for explanation.

Sure it’s about political correctness. It’s certainly not about performance which seems to have succumbed to political correctness. I don’t agree with the assertion that it’s appropriate to cancel people without due process and opportunity for explanation.
    Well, he did try to spin the racist remark. I don't how he'd spin using the term "queers" when referring to homosexuals. Conduct unbecoming doesn't require burden of proof or intent. And not all of these emails are from 10 years ago, some are from just 3 years ago. It's not like he misspoke or had a momentary lapse of reason. The emails show a pattern, a behavior that isn't befitting of someone being placed in a position of authority and command.

As far as performance... Gruden is a very wealthy man for not a lot of accomplishments. He was on the hot seat anyway or at least should have been last year if not for being a close friend to ownership.

LMAO
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Sorry, bro. It was a tough week.

Saquon will always be a Nittany Lion to me. I really want him to succeed, and he did look crushed.
    Regardless of the injuries, we are just not a good team. Your Cowboys...that's a good team. Now that the compliment is out of the way, every time the camera pans to Jerry Jones (which is way too often) I like to imagine him being torn from his seat by a pterodactyl and dropped head first on the 50 yard line.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Regardless of the injuries, we are just not a good team.
    "we".

To paraphrase a guy on the radio here, when your favorite team wins, it's "we".
    When your favorite team loses, it's "they".

SOURCE

First, Jon Gruden lost his job ... now, he's lost his biggest sponsorship too.

Skechers has terminated its contract with the former Las Vegas Raiders head coach ... after learning the 58-year-old wrote racist, homophobic and misogynistic emails from 2011 to 2018.

"Skechers is aware of the recent press reporting on the emails of Jon Gruden, which caused him to resign his N.F.L. coaching position," a spokesperson for the shoe giant said in a statement Tuesday.

"Upon learning of these developments, we immediately terminated Mr. Gruden’s endorsement contract and our affiliation with him."

Gruden had been one of the faces of Skechers, appearing in ads for the company for the past several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    "we".

To paraphrase a guy on the radio here, when your favorite team wins, it's "we".
    When your favorite team loses, it's "they".
    my bad
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    whoa.... they still make Sketchers?

whoa.... they still make Sketchers?
    Sketchers are huge nowadays.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Sketchers are huge nowadays.
    Only if you have big feet.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Regardless of the injuries, we are just not a good team. Your Cowboys...that's a good team. Now that the compliment is out of the way, every time the camera pans to Jerry Jones (which is way too often) I like to imagine him being torn from his seat by a pterodactyl and dropped head first on the 50 yard line.
    I can relate.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Well, he did try to spin the racist remark. I don't how he'd spin using the term "queers" when referring to homosexuals. Conduct unbecoming doesn't require burden of proof or intent. And not all of these emails are from 10 years ago, some are from just 3 years ago. It's not like he misspoke or had a momentary lapse of reason. The emails show a pattern, a behavior that isn't befitting of someone being placed in a position of authority and command.

As far as performance... Gruden is a very wealthy man for not a lot of accomplishments. He was on the hot seat anyway or at least should have been last year if not for being a close friend to ownership.
    I think this just about sums things up well.

The only thing I would add for perspective is that, not long ago, we would almost expect a football coach to be a dick (can I say that word?), who would use tactics such as emasculation to motivate through humiliation. To quote Dennis Green, “They are who we thought they were”.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think this just about sums things up well.

The only thing I would add for perspective is that, not long ago, we would almost expect a football coach to be a dick (can I say that word?), who would use tactics such as emasculation to motivate through humiliation. To quote Dennis Green, “They are who we thought they were”.
    I think I remember back when Gruden came out of the booth and back onto the sideline there were a few of us here that wondered if Gruden may have been a tad too out of touch. Well...

I think Gruden stepping down is a relief to quite a few people who hope any controversy goes away with him, otherwise this could be the gift that keeps on giving.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Only if you have big feet.
    Well, you know what they say about big feet...

Big feet::Big Skechers.

I think I remember back when Gruden came out of the booth and back onto the sideline there were a few of us here that wondered if Gruden may have been a tad too out of touch. Well...

I think Gruden stepping down is a relief to quite a few people who hope any controversy goes away with him, otherwise this could be the gift that keeps on giving.
    I thought I heard one source say (paraphrasing) Look for more email revelations regarding other NFL people. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I thought I heard one source say (paraphrasing) Look for more email revelations regarding other NFL people. We'll see.
    It is hard to believe that of 650,000 emails reviewed only Gruden's were hateful and inappropriate. This is the NFL after all.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    It is hard to believe that of 650,000 emails reviewed only Gruden's were hateful and inappropriate. This is the NFL after all.
    Exactly.

Wasn't this Gruden stuff exposed by the New York Times? I'm sure there are more names that will get released after the Gruden articles start getting fewer and fewer views/ad clicks.

Banned
    I think a field microphone should be legalized so that all vocals within the field and the sidelines are recorded and available for analysis

I think a field microphone should be legalized so that all vocals within the field and the sidelines are recorded and available for analysis
    I think they do that already

I'm always surprised at how many self-inflicted wounds rise to the surface in this digital age. Not that they rise to the surface, but that the self inflicts them at all. At the same time, I'm stunned that self-inflicted wounds of some politicians roll off like water off a duck's back, with no consequence at all.

I'd say they're equally baffling, but in reality, I think the latter is more baffling.

Eagles fans are about to burn the city down after that debacle last night.