Thread: The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

The Chefs are cooking' with gas.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    At least they did not embarrass themselves as Eagles or Patriots.
    Their fans, however...
    (some of 'em, at least)

It’s tough to be a Cowboys fan.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Their fans, however...
    (some of 'em, at least)
    Yet again, they cannot compare to Eagles fans. At least they express some emotion. Most of the time Cowboys fans behave like they are watching a ballet performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Progmatic; 01-17-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Yet again, they cannot compare to Eagles fans. At least they express some emotion. Most of the time Cowboys fans behave like they are watching a ballet performance.
    25 years of losing and disappointment will do that to you.

In all seriousness, I didn’t think the Cowboys would go far if they had beaten the Niners. They had a 12-5 record, but they lost most of their games vs. good teams and 6 of their wins were NFC East teams. But the media these days tends to hype and exaggerate what the team is capable of, usually ending with a grander sense that they underachieved more than they did. This year, their record helped fuel that illusion, but “they are what I thought they were”.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Best football sunday I've had in ages!
    Ha! No doubt!

I was definitely comforted after the Eagles performance (though they were playing with house money and no one should have expected them to win) watching the #3 seed, home team Cowboys lose in a downright silly fashion.

I really thought the 'Boys were going to pull it out. They were really fired up in the 4th quarter and just seemed to have the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Did y’all see the USFL commercial and/or know that it was back?

Follow-up: why bother?
    I was a big fan of the original iteration. And why not? Look at the stars they produced: Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, etc.

Can't imagine this new version will be anywhere near as compelling, but I'll pay attention when it starts.

At least they did not embarrass themselves as Eagles or Patriots.
    I'm not sure that the Eagles were "embarrassed." Most had them at 4 wins this year, before the season began. There was no way their defense was going to stop Brady and Gronk. Though, I was hoping to see a better performance from the offense. What's the point of drafting a WR like DeVonta Smith if you're going to ignore him in the playoffs?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Seeing Dak blame the refs in the post-game press conference was just icing on the cake.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Seeing Dak blame the refs in the post-game press conference was just icing on the cake.
    I missed that. He blamed the refs? He should know better than that. The Cowboys are the most celebrated non-producing team going. Haha!

Ol' Ben got crushed in his final game.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Horrible look for Dallas
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

In all seriousness, I didn’t think the Cowboys would go far if they had beaten the Niners. They had a 12-5 record, but they lost most of their games vs. good teams and 6 of their wins were NFC East teams. But the media these days tends to hype and exaggerate what the team is capable of, usually ending with a grander sense that they underachieved more than they did. This year, their record helped fuel that illusion, but “they are what I thought they were”.
    I agree with that. They were not 12-5 team in a better division. But they were at least competitive.

But I blame coach for the first quarter.
    49rs cannot do anything but run. JimmyG has no pass game. It was not a rocket science what would happen. Yet they gave them 13 points before they figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Horrible look for Dallas
    How? They did not deflate the balls or cheated.
    The truth was that ref was still 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage when Cowboys were ready to play. It really makes no difference whether Dak gave the ball to ref or put it on line.

I understand the play call because the sidelines were taken away. What Dak should have done was go down sooner.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I was a big fan of the original iteration. And why not? Look at the stars they produced: Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, etc.

Can't imagine this new version will be anywhere near as compelling, but I'll pay attention when it starts.
    That's the thing, right? Back in the '80s, they had star power and could compete with the NFL. The only thing that can compete with the NFL these days is college.

But, yeah, I'll probably give it a look, too. Maybe it'll last longer than the AAF and XFL and . . . wasn't there another spring time league recently?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, I normally wouldn't have my coach also as GM, despite Parcells comment about buying the groceries. Having said that, I think you have a good, young coach. I'd recommend giving him time and space to implement his system. If he's also the GM, well probably a mistake that they can always fix later on.

But, to your original point - Yes, Darnit is a bust. Will probably end up as a backup that you (or a different team) hope you never need.
    They've got a GM, but Ruehle has final say on roster decisions.

Unless they trade for (yet another) QB or pick someone up in free agency, Darnold is their starter again next year. They'll need to build a line for him, and that just doesn't seem too likely to happen in one offseason.

I was certainly excited when Ruehle was hired. I was excited when he hired Joe Brady (LSU's QB coach) as OC.

Brady was fired mid-way this season, the offense still looked awful and there is seemingly no direction to take it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Horrible look for Dallas
    Prescott's comments solidified him as an idiot. Glad he lost.

"Here's the Cowboys' radio call of the final play and aftermath, with one of the announcers rightfully not happy about the crowd throwing things at the refs."

Here is the after-game presser with the fool. @2:20 is when he starts his junk. @5:30 is "the refs took off and got out of there"

@8:30 a question is asked about fans throwing stuff on the field, even hitting someone. He responds that it is sad and says it shouldn't happen and goes on about it. Then, when they ask about the refs getting hit, he replies, "Credit to them, then."

Again: Prescott's comments solidified him as an idiot. Glad he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Prescott's comments solidified him as an idiot. Glad he lost.
    Oh lord. Give me a break. I can't believe this means enough to you to take the time to break it down like this. You mean a football player said something snarky after a frustrating loss??!?!? CANCEL HIM!!!11111

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I understand the play call because the sidelines were taken away. What Dak should have done was go down sooner.
    Bottom line, they played like shit with a small glimmer of hope at the end. If they were able to clock the ball, they would have had 1 play at the 25 yard line. You still have to score a TD on that play, which is pretty low percentage. Their bonehead play is frustrating to see, but it really didn't factor into the end result of the game from where I sit.

While I want to give credit to the 49ers, the difference here were the unusually bad performance from Dak, the consistently mediocre performance from Zeke, and 14 penalties, the majority of which were avoidable.

The 14 penalties were back breakers
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The truth was that ref was still 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage when Cowboys were ready to play. It really makes no difference whether Dak gave the ball to ref or put it on line.

Blaming the ref for Dallas’s and Dak’s boneheaded decision with 14 seconds left. If Dallas hadn’t done stupid penalties in the first half, they wouldn’t have been in this situation. But overall, I can’t summarize how badly they handled this any better than this article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...and-execution/
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Horrible look for Dallas

It a horrible look because you just lost a game where none of your team played well, were only still in it due to a bone head Garapallo interception, committed 14 penalties and you blame, ......., the referees. Own your own performance, you're the one on the huge contract.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Oh lord. Give me a break. I can't believe this means enough to you to take the time to break it down like this. You mean a football player said something snarky after a frustrating loss??!?!? CANCEL HIM!!!11111
    Enough time to break it down? C'mon, don't exaggerate, it was a paragraph with right clicks & pasting.

I never said anything about cancelling him.

I said he was an idiot. This guy gets to say whatever he wants because it was a frustrating loss? Poor, poor, Prescott.

I really thought the 'Boys were going to pull it out.
    You know Jerrah thought they were gonna get it done.

Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    don't exaggerate
    Yes, that's exactly the point. The whole incident is being exaggerated and blown out of proportion.

I don't get Cowboy Fan's blaming the ref. They made a highly risky play call, and then executed poorly. One of the ex-player commentators on NFL Network (either MJD or Steve Smith) said that on plays to clock the ball at the end of the game, his coaches had allotted 18 seconds. In the presser, Dak kept saying that they had practiced the play many times. Doesn't matter. You only left yourself 14 seconds. Everything had to go perfectly for the play to work. This is Earth. Things rarely go perfectly, I don't care how much you practiced it. It wasn't the fault of the ref, it was piss-poor planning and execution.

The 14 penalties were back breakers
    They had two defensive holding penalties that gave key first downs where the defensive lineman tackled the offensive lineman. You don't see that very often let alone twice in one game.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking