Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1623

Thread: The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    One of the things I liked about the AFC championship game was that the team that won the OT coin toss, lost the game... see, you can play defense in overtime - its allowed.
    All true, but I think the time has come for a change in the OT rules to allow that team that wins the toss and scores a TD on that first drive to have a chance to play defense in overtime.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    All true, but I think the time has come for a change in the OT rules to allow that team that wins the toss and scores a TD on that first drive to have a chance to play defense in overtime.
    I agree
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The WTFs rebrand tomorrow. Here, apparently, are the contendahs:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/sport...cec/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    One of the things I liked about the AFC championship game was that the team that won the OT coin toss, lost the game... see, you can play defense in overtime - its allowed.
    Sounds good in theory, but looking back to the Chefs-Williams game...Both defenses were completely gassed. Whoever won the coin toss was extremely likely to go down and score a touchdown, which the Chefs did. It may not be the norm for overtime, but in that case, the coin flip virtually decided the winner. You can't have that in a playoff game, and the NFL needs to fix that so that's not a possibility. Both offenses need to get the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    From the little written, I think behind the scenes, the Lions are becoming more 'professional' and Sheila has been pushing that.

Fixing that IMO leads to longer term success for the franchise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Agree,

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I agree
    Me too.

Regarding OT, I would like to see the NFL adopt a policy more similar to what colleges use. It seems to work pretty well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Regarding OT, I would like to see the NFL adopt a policy more similar to what colleges use. It seems to work pretty well for them.
    I hate the college OT. Placing the ball on the opponent's 25 is too artificial for me. It almost reeks of Soccer/Hockey shoot-outs.

Tom Brady is retiring.

For real, this time.

I think.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I hate the college OT. Placing the ball on the opponent's 25 is too artificial for me. It almost reeks of Soccer/Hockey shoot-outs.
    Good point. If they were going to use that kind of a system for the pros, they would need to give the team the ball much further back (out of pro field goal range). For me the important thing is that both teams get the ball for a chance to score.

The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

Garappolo is solid, but limited. Kinda like Tannehill in that regard, but I think Vic's boy may be a shade better. Anyway, I digress. Garappolo can't put a team on his back, he's not an aircraft carrier, so he needs to be surrounded by a higher level of talent than some guys. However, every game he has 1 or 2 WTF passes, and you hope those don't kill you. He probably can win a Super Bowl, in a perfect situation, but the odds are against it. This year's playoffs showed us what Superman quarterbacks can do, and Jimmy G ain't one of them.
    The only problem is that there are not many available Superman QBs up there. Jimmy G is not a person who can win tough games on his own but he can be an integral valuable part of winning teams.
    As they say be careful what you wish for.

Maybe Browns and 49ers should swap their QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Regular season they should switch to one OT 10 minute period and the result after that stands. This would add much more strategy and drama. For playoffs go like soccer with one OT 10 minute period if still tied after that sudden death, or as the optimist in me likes to call it, sudden vistory!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Good point. If they were going to use that kind of a system for the pros, they would need to give the team the ball much further back (out of pro field goal range). For me the important thing is that both teams get the ball for a chance to score.
    What I don't like about "altered play" OT's are they change the nature of the game. Baseball is the only sport to get it right, keep playing until you have a winner, the same game you played up to the 9th inning. No shoot-outs, or PK's, or tennis tiebreakers, or each team starting on the 25, etc.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Baseball is the only sport to get it right, keep playing until you have a winner, the same game you played up to the 9th inning. No shoot-outs, or PK's, or tennis tiebreakers, or each team starting on the 25, etc.
    Baseball has it the same way as I would say most NFL fans want it. Each team to have an opportunity to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Baseball has it the same way as I would say most NFL fans want it. Each team to have an opportunity to score.

In soccer it is impossible since the game can go for days without scoring

Regular season they should switch to one OT 10 minute period and the result after that stands. This would add much more strategy and drama. For playoffs go like soccer with one OT 10 minute period if still tied after that sudden death, or as the optimist in me likes to call it, sudden vistory!

What I don't like about "altered play" OT's are they change the nature of the game. Baseball is the only sport to get it right, keep playing until you have a winner, the same game you played up to the 9th inning. No shoot-outs, or PK's, or tennis tiebreakers, or each team starting on the 25, etc.
    Who the hell wants a 6 hour baseball game?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, it's bad enough with the length of the current game. Anything else would make it worse.

Anyone who loves the game?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    They hardly ever happen, and when they do, it's interesting to see how things play out.

Soccer, football and hockey players couldn't play indefinitely due to fatigue, it wouldn't be representative of the 'real game' due to exhaustion. It would also severally limit the winners chances in the next round.
    Ian

Agreed. Most boring sport too, imo.

Eric, you're forgetting the fact that 99% of the time, baseball players are sitting or standing around doing nothing. Going 15 innings is no big deal.

People keep harping on PKs in soccer but (1) soccer players cover more miles than any other athletes (other than long distance runners) and (2) they have two 15 minute periods of OT first, then PKs if necessary.

As for tennis tiebreaks, a player has to win by two, with serves alternating to whichever player doesn't have the lead, so the winner has to break someone's serve. It usually works really well but occasionally they've had marathon matches, ten of which have gone over 6 hours and the longest going just over 11 hours. Prior to the introduction of the tiebreak, the longest matches were going 90+ games, the longest being 105. That's just insane. Afaic, there's absolutely no need to change the tiebreak rule. Hell, when we were kids playing some sport, that was the standing rule: win by 2... unless it got too dark.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I don't mind it except for one thing: changing ends of the field every possession. That's a waste of time and seems silly.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Well played, NBC New York. Well played.

Was at the 1995 Yankees / Mariners 15 inning game in the ALDS. Best game I've ever been to. You're on the edge of your seat the whole time. So count me in.

Soccer, football and hockey players couldn't play indefinitely due to fatigue, it wouldn't be representative of the 'real game' due to exhaustion.
    It's more representative than a shootout or PKs.

It would also severally limit the winners chances in the next round.
    Good. It shouldn't take them overtime to win, then.

Brian Flores is suing the NFL, and NY Giants, alleging racism in hiring. Flores says that Stephen Ross, the owner of the Miami Dolphins, offered to pay him $100,000 for every loss during 2019 season to help the team get a better draft spot. Was mad when they kept winning. Flores' suit includes texts from Bill Belichick that appear to show him congratulating him on getting the Giants job, mistakenly believing he was texting Brian Daboll. This was before Flores' interview with the Giants took place.

- from Alex Weprin, via Twitter

“Sorry – I fucked this up. I double checked and misread the text. I think they are naming Brian Daboll. I’m sorry about that. BB.”

Bill Belichick informing Plaintiff Brian Flores, three days before his interview with the New York Giants that Brian Daboll had already been selected for the job.

- From the complaint

Get your popcorn ready

*EDIT: The Dolphins and Broncos are also included in the suit.
    Last edited by Scott Bails; 02-01-2022 at 04:29 PM.