Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 NFL Discussion Thread

I'm watching the Clippers against the Eagles. I like both teams, but go Clips.

Way to go Chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Way to go Chargers.
    Good game by both sides, but the Bolts prevailed. Eagles D, while playing well at times, didn’t do enough. “Big Play” Slay got burned on a couple of key downs. Overall, I’m pleased that Sirianni is running the ball and it shows that, yes, running the ball works.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It was a day for upsets. I remember when good teams always beat the bad ones

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Got knocked out of my survivor pool picking the Bill's, pick em is going to look ugly this week
    This is true!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

These ticky-tack roughing the passer penalties are killing the game

Is anybody besides me getting tired of seeing football games decided by ticky-tack penalties? It's getting worse than basketball

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Is anybody besides me getting tired of seeing football games decided by ticky-tack penalties? It's getting worse than basketball
    Me me me! That and some of these taunting penalties being called are ridiculous.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Taunting should not be a penalty
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Taunting should not be a penalty
    I agree, but physical or psychological disrespect toward refs, should be penalized. Besides judgement/enforcement is simple. I would love to see subjectivity taken out of refereeing, making only rules which are easy to judge/enforce. Let taunting happen and also focused microphone surveillance so that the audience can hear what is said from once the play is whistled till the next play starts.

I don't like taunting. I hate celebrating when all you've done is caught the ball. Your team is losing and you're celebrating like you've won a championship. Stop it.

I have less of a problem with the penalties and more of a problem with the consistency in calling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Me me me! That and some of these taunting penalties being called are ridiculous.
    I think the enforcement is a bit far, but I think without it, the taunting and excessive celebrations would continue to escalate.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^ Yeah, I'm not a fan of taunting (or trash talk, for that matter,) but the way this is being officiated is ridiculous. It's likely the outcome of last night's game was decided by a referee making a judgement call(s), not on the field. That should never happen. The whole "point of emphasis" approach has to go.

I'm not sure I didn't see the taunting call coming; Marsh could have cut a full 10 seconds off his celebrating and still made his point. The penalties I'm referring to are the phantom roughing the passer on Big Ben (the non-call on Fields) and bogus cut block call against Watts that erased a touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I agree, but physical or psychological disrespect toward refs, should be penalized. Besides judgement/enforcement is simple. I would love to see subjectivity taken out of refereeing, making only rules which are easy to judge/enforce. Let taunting happen and also focused microphone surveillance so that the audience can hear what is said from once the play is whistled till the next play starts.
    Physical contact is not acceptable, but that crap from Tony Corrente last night was bullshit. No issue at all with verbally disrespecting officials - respect is earned. They need to hear about it when they blow a call, IMO.

You really can't take subjectivity out. Especially in a game as quick and physical as football. I'm not saying that some of their rules aren't convoluted (why can't they fix the catch rule), but there will always be judgement calls. It's rather comical how they use the chains to determine a first down when the placement of the ball is so rudimentary.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not sure I didn't see the taunting call coming; Marsh could have cut a full 10 seconds off his celebrating and still made his point. The penalties I'm referring to are the phantom roughing the passer on Big Ben (the non-call on Fields) and bogus cut block call against Watts that erased a touchdown.
    Which is why I put the (s) at the end of judgement call(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ME!!!!!!

I couldn't watch the game last night because of all the yellow flags and the worst, game-changing one was the taunting on the kid just from the practice squad who had probably made the play of his life and happened to be pointed in the direction of the opposing team's bench when the play was over and he celebrated! Absolutely terrible.

I ref high school basketball, and before you say it, yes, it is not the same at all. But the principles are the same and a huge one is game awareness. Know the situation, know the players, know the severity and call accordingly. The fact that a white hat threw that flag in that situation is the exact opposite of game management. I'm not saying the infraction didn't occur, which is as subjective as football infractions get, but that if in your opinion it did occur did it merit a flag?

That call sickened me.

On another note, the Bears are seeing the future with Fields and his Patrick Mahomes like ability to make plays out of nothing.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Which is why I put the (s) at the end of judgement call(s).
    my comment wasn't directed you. It just so happened to fall where it did.

I think the league sends mixed signals when they allow protracted, choreographed endzone celebrations but frown upon any other demonstrative behavior.

As far as the ref's behavior - its obvious that he initiated contact with Marsh and threw his flag like a magician producing a pigeon from thin air. Makes one wonder just how subjective that call was. Still, Marsh needs coaching up and reminded he was on the practice squad for a reason.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They always say the best referees in soccer are the ones that are invisible. They take the temperature of the match and adjust their approach accordingly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They always say the best referees in soccer are the ones that are invisible. They take the temperature of the match and adjust their approach accordingly.
    Ding ding ding. I officiated soccer for several years as well and the law they get right is advantage (that was a foul but the offense has an advantage, play on). The fact that law exists formalizes game management and calls for the officials. In basketball we are taught game management, but there is no "advantage" rule per se.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Meanwhile, Steeler fan is sitting there with tail feathers hanging out his mouth, saying "Canary? What canary?"

Seeing this coming through:

Packers fined $300,000 for COVID violations of the NFL and NFL Players Association protocols, while Aaron Rodgers and Allen Lazard each fined $14,650
    If true... that's it?? What a joke.

Rodgers average NFL salary per game = 2 million dollars

The eons are closing
    Saw that this morning - and the Packers fine for letting him go maskless to pressers is certainly low given the public nature of the infraction.

Rodgers fine was always going to be 'low' due to collective bargaining.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I hope a team mate punched him out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.