Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Everything Film Score Thread

Even considering the James Bond scores, my 2 favorite Barry scores are The Black Hole and King Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    A number of mentions about Herrmann so far, but not yet my favorite score by the maestro and my all time favorite score, period. Mysterious Island. Seeing the movie on the big screen when I was all of 9 years old, the music grabbed me before I even had any interest in that area! Bucket list for me is to see the entire score performed live to the film. I have already had that pleasure with Psycho, North By Northwest & Vertigo.

And, yes, Herrmann is my favorite among film composers. But as I hear more and more Morricone, that lead is shrinking.
    Mysterious Island is in the rotation here, good call out.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Even considering the James Bond scores, my 2 favorite Barry scores are The Black Hole and King Kong.

Black Hole is fantastic. The movie, not so much. Barry's best is Bond by far, and unfortunately what does nothing for me are Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves, awe inspiring movies with by the numbers scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Black Hole is fantastic. The movie, not so much.
    Strong disagree. The Cygnus ... Bob Forster ... Maximillian Schell ... the robot Maximillian ... an uncredited Roddy McDowall as V.I.N. CENT ... ERNEST BORGNINE! The Black Hole rocks!

I can't watch that gif and not hear "SCHWING!!" in my mind when that "deadly" blade pops out
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Oh yeah, another score that would probably be on my desert island selection would be the score to the remake of Solaris (2002) by Cliff Martinez. Haunting and beautiful in all the right/best ways to my ears.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Black Hole is fantastic. The movie, not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Strong disagree. The Cygnus ... Bob Forster ... Maximillian Schell ... the robot Maximillian ... an uncredited Roddy McDowall as V.I.N. CENT ... ERNEST BORGNINE! The Black Hole rocks!
    Even though I was impressed by this film when I was quite young, I have to agree with Just Eric. The film looks impressive and has a decent cast, but is stodgy and confused about its intended audience. The music is far superior, even if there is some confusion between the demand for the new John Williams stereotype of space opera themes and a more sombre orchestral approach. And that's the point, as far as the soundtrack goes: The Black Hole does not rock. It waltzes.

To me the most haunting scene in the film is the one just before the schwing-wruum-chaka-chaka-chaka scene in the gif.

It was the '70s, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    To me the most haunting scene in the film is the one just before the schwing-wruum-chaka-chaka-chaka scene in the gif.
    See? You can't get it out of your head. Can you remember anything from the last Star Wars crapfest?

Can you remember anything from the last Star Wars crapfest?
    NEIN NUMB WAS REY'S FATHER OMG TOO SOON

See? You can't get it out of your head. Can you remember anything from the last Star Wars crapfest?
    Memories are extra persistant, because I once subtitled The Black Hole for a television screening and hence had to watch the whole thing through multiple times, as I worked out how to translate that brilliant dialogue (there might have been an Einstein-Rosenberg bridge to consider, you know) into Finnish. Vincent's smart-arse quotes do not easily transform themselves into maximum 30-character lines readable and digestible in two seconds, I can tell you that.

These days, I prefer watching the soundtrack album. It's also interesting that Barry found time for two other entries into the post-Star Wars space opera craze in that same year with Starcrash and Moonraker. Both of which have some similarities and differences to The Black Hole score, mirroring the differences between the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    These days, I prefer watching the soundtrack album. It's also interesting that Barry found time for two other entries into the post-Star Wars space opera craze in that same year with Starcrash and Moonraker. Both of which have some similarities and differences to The Black Hole score, mirroring the differences between the films.
    Good knowledge. I'll have to do a side-by-side-by-side comparison some day.

Great haul today, Mandy by Johann Johannsson, The Black Hole LP ($1.95), The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann - Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Fahrenheit 451, How the West Was Won - Alfred Newman, and Batman, Exclusive Original Television Soundtrack Album, conducted by Nelson Riddle

I am the happiest guy alive now that records stores are open again!

Last movie score I listened to was Jerry Goldsmith's Our Man Flint the other day while working. Repetative but I really like it. Original Planet of The Apes is excellent also. Movie scores are in my listening rotation.

Great haul today, Mandy by Johann Johannsson
    Don't have that one. I only have his 2 Retrospective boxes, which contain several soundtracks. I might need to get some more Jóhann Jóhannsson, when I feel like it.

I like the soundtrack Klaus Doldinger did for Das Boot.

I'm also very fond of the theme-music from The Persuaders by John Barry.

Great '80s electronic score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Great '80s electronic score by Jerry Goldsmith.
    I've gravitated to scores lately due to the diversity of the music, from cool jazz to classical to dark ambient to found sound to synth heavy electro scores, ala Stranger Things. The other is the connection between music, visuals and story. Lovely.

I really liked the soundtrack to "Arrival", and how vocal samples were used in this film, where language plays such an important role.
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    I really liked the soundtrack to "Arrival", and how vocal samples were used in this film, where language plays such an important role.
    That how film was a master class on score, sound design and sound editing. Unctuously reverberant. (Was trying to figure out how to say "stunningly beautiful" for sound.)

That how film was a master class on score, sound design and sound editing. Unctuously reverberant. (Was trying to figure out how to say "stunningly beautiful" for sound.)
    Yes, the sound design was very well done and memorable, too. All in all, one of my favorite science fiction films of all time.
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

I am tediously entering each album in my collection into Discogs and just finished the D's. I pass the tedium by randomly sampling through the letter I am working on. Tonight's big winner...

Banned
    Very interesting, synth-driven and quite psychedelic music theme from the Yugoslav film "The Scent of Field Flowers" from 1978, which soundtrack was awarded Le Prix de la Critique at the Cannes Film Festival that year, is one of my all time favourites regarding the film music.

^Beautiful!

I just picked up a bucket list CD, thanks Varese Saraband for re-releasing this gem, Matrtix - The Complete Edition.

https://www.varesesarabande.com/prod...e-score-2-sacd

Avant-garde Postmodern music at it's best.

Also grabbed John William's score for Dracula, one of those great soundtracks to "meh" movies.

https://www.varesesarabande.com/prod...a&_ss=e&_v=1.0