Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Who Sell Out reissued

The Who Sell Out reissued

The Guardian has a fascinating article on The Who Sell Out, prompted by the album's 'super deluxe' reissue this month. The newspaper seems to be having a run of interesting music-related items.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ll-out-reissue
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

There was a program about the album on the Freeview Sky arts television channel recently.

An excellent article indeed. I love the album, the music in it but also its post-modern concept. Pete is a genius - or used to be one.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sell Out's always been one of my favorite Who albums, and this reissue seems to have a lot of interesting stuff, including songs I've never heard (though I've never been a Who completist). Definitely fun to listen to this album again.

Not a big fan of The Who in general. There are a few important Who records I've never heard. Just heard Sell Out on YT. First listen ever. I guess I'd to be in the right mood. I like some of the bonus tracks more than the album proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not a big fan of The Who in general. There are a few important Who records I've never heard. Just heard Sell Out on YT. First listen ever. I guess I'd to be in the right mood. I like some of the bonus tracks more than the album proper.
    Which "important" albums have you not heard?

I can see how Sell Out might have been easier to get into when we were younger and had more time to space out, lie around, and listen to music. For my money, The Who are the best of the British Invasion bands. I think The Beatles did better, more important albums, but for that '60s, mop-top, British Invasion period, The Who are my favorite for their music, quirky storytelling, and their spirit (Hope I Die Before I Get Old, etc.). Possibly The Who are a little too late to compete with The Beatles and The Stones et al for that period, but I still include them.

The Who ends with 'Who's Next' for me.
    I love everything before, and I can listen to 'Who's Next, but I find it a bit too mainstreamish, to little anarchy...Moon in chains.
    I wish I liked Quadrophenia, but I find it boring, and The Who whithout Moon...

Sell Out is, for me, their single greatest album, and one of my top 3 psychedelic albums of all time.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quadrophenia for one. Just heard Sell Out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Sell Out is, for me, their single greatest album, and one of my top 3 psychedelic albums of all time.
    I'll have some of that.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    And unlike most Who albums, it has almost no "meh" songs, except maybe "Silas Stingy," but even that is kind of interesting. Everything else is great.

Their finest after Next.

IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And unlike most Who albums, it has almost no "meh" songs, except maybe "Silas Stingy," but even that is kind of interesting. Everything else is great.
    "Silas Stingy is totally AWESOME", whined the huge Who fanboy!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quadrophenia is the best, by miles.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quadrophenia is the best, by miles.
    But Sell Out is the best by miles and miles and miles and miles and miles.

Oh yeah.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    But Sell Out is the best by miles and miles and miles and miles and miles.

Oh yeah.
    It's funny coz it's true

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I can see how Sell Out might have been easier to get into when we were younger and had more time to space out, lie around, and listen to music. For my money, The Who are the best of the British Invasion bands. I think The Beatles did better, more important albums, but for that '60s, mop-top, British Invasion period, The Who are my favorite for their music, quirky storytelling, and their spirit (Hope I Die Before I Get Old, etc.). Possibly The Who are a little too late to compete with The Beatles and The Stones et al for that period, but I still include them.
    I've never really put the Who in the same category as the Beatles or Stones, it's a different style and music.
    The Who have all the angst and anger of youth in their music, but well written and played songs.
    Early Who to me was the first punk band.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Early Who to me was the first punk band.
    - except they could play their instruments !

I think I Can See For Miles is the best rock song ever. There's no parallel to its intensity. From the first chords, it's like an electric current hitting my organism.

They were a terrific singles band from the get-go (not counting that earlier High Numbers single). But Sell Out is their first truly great album IMHO. It's the first time you really get a sustained sense of what Townshend was capable of.

Here is a rare case where I like the remix best. I'm usually a purist with these things, but that's the first version I heard and I still find it a better listening experience. For one thing it doesn't have that appalling skip within 'Rael' which both the original mono and stereo mixes have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I think I Can See For Miles is the best rock song ever. There's no parallel to its intensity. From the first chords, it's like an electric current hitting my organism.

I've never been a big fan of live albums in general but Live At Leeds is probably my favorite live album of all time. Well, as good as Band of Gypsys. My favorite live albums. Nothing else compares imo. I've heard a lot of important live rock albums. Live At Leeds kills 'em all.

I've never been a big fan of live albums in general but Live At Leeds is probably my favorite live album of all time. Well, as good as Band of Gypsys. My favorite live albums. Nothing else compares imo. I've heard a lot of important live rock albums. Live At Leeds kills 'em all.
    I agree they are in the absolute top. For that live feel & presence try: Colosseum Live!

Live At Leeds is probably my favorite live album of all time.
    It's the most sincerely intense rock record ever, mostly due to the degree of sheer -dedication- in their attack of sound. You can practically sense the menace and cultural peril in contemporary receptions of its impact and effect.

The combination here of Moon's chaos-forces and the calculate charge of Townshend and Entwistle is second to none ever. Not even in extreme metal or grindcore, etc. This was simply the apex of rock'n'roll sonic power. And there was brains involved as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM