Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Who Sell Out reissued

NP: Can't Explain......dizzy in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^

I don’t consider Money to be a truly psychedelic (in its spirit) album AND I definitely do not think of Third as a psych album AT ALL

My personal top three are
    Sell Out
    Traffic ‘Mr Fantasy’
    Family’Doll’s House’ and or Piper At The Gates of Dawn
    Hey at least I was close? Never heard the Traffic album, will rectify that.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hey at least I was close? Never heard the Traffic album, will rectify that.
    Frankie

I think the Traffic album is wonderful. It's the only album I have consistently enjoyed since I was 13! Never sold it and later regretted it. Never sold it and later re-bought it. Never even imagined selling it!

I'm taking it with me!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I know there were different UK/US versions of that Traffic debut (and 'Giving To You' has a different vocal intro in mono). I love it and ...Dolls House too.

My absolute favourite UK psych would be Piper... and its surrounding singles and The Beatles' singles/albums of that same period.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I know there were different UK/US versions of that Traffic debut (and 'Giving To You' has a different vocal intro in mono).
    The still easily available CD gives you both versions of Mr Fantasy!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

My absolute favourite UK psych would be Piper... and its surrounding singles and The Beatles' singles/albums of that same period.
    It's hard to pick a favorite, but FRANKIE MADE ME DO IT!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I know there were different UK/US versions of that Traffic debut (and 'Giving To You' has a different vocal intro in mono). I love it and ...Dolls House too.
    Just listened on Spotify to the two versions of 'Giving To You'. I wonder what the thinking was behind dropping the posh English voice-over on the song. Love the 'I'm in jazz'!

The first Traffic album I heard was the second, eponymous one, and that remains my favourite. I think '40,000 Headmen' is just the most amazing song. Worth an outing here!

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

I know there were different UK/US versions of that Traffic debut (and 'Giving To You' has a different vocal intro in mono).
    Different guitar solo in "Heaven Is In Your Mind" too.

The still easily available CD gives you both versions of Mr Fantasy!
    Yes this is what I have.

There's another US remaster with the US title- Heaven Is In Your Mind. ISTR the US versions supposedly had better sound...I couldn't say!

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Just listened on Spotify to the two versions of 'Giving To You'. I wonder what the thinking was behind dropping the posh English voice-over on the song. Love the 'I'm in jazz'!
    I did hear a live version- Stockholm, I think- where it was played like the mono studio version. I think this gig was several months before that album had even come out.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-04-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    Live at Leeds was a college staple, cranked at an appropriately painful volume. To my mind, the last "real" classic Who album was "The Who By Numbers" , not particularly inspired and a little workman-like but still a fairly satisfying listen. Strange to think that was almost 50 years ago. Not much left in the tank creatively after that.
    By Numbers sort of feels more like a Townshend solo album. Maybe it’s kind of their “A.”

By Numbers is somewhat low-key (by design), but it's better than what followed.

Who Are You is all a bit going-through-the-motions; the great title track elevates its status somewhat. 'Music Must Change' was a strong live track. 'Sister Disco' is OK. Not much else going on.

I think the two early 80s albums have some good songs and also some truly horrible ones...one good album could have been made out of them.

I think the two early 80s albums have some good songs and also some truly horrible ones...one good album could have been made out of them.
    I remember liking Townshend's song "Slit Skirts" from that era. I have read there were some complaints from the band that he was saving his best songs for solo albums by then.

Frankie

I think the Traffic album is wonderful. It's the only album I have consistently enjoyed since I was 13! Never sold it and later regretted it. Never sold it and later re-bought it. Never even imagined selling it!

I'm taking it with me!
    Wow - what a wonderful, wonderful album indeed. I'm glad I asked you - this is now another classic from the 60s that I'll be digging for a long time.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Wow - what a wonderful, wonderful album indeed. I'm glad I asked you - this is now another classic from the 60s that I'll be digging for a long time.

great to hear.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

So I sort-of-preordered the box set from Import CDs on the day before the street date, when they were showing it as being In Stock. The next day the status was changed to Backordered and I hadn't received a shipping notice. Two weeks later, and following an uninformative reply to my inquiry about whether they had an expected in-stock date, I've cancelled my order, and gone to Amazon before it's too late. Only now Amazon has jacked up the price so instead of paying $18 more than the Import CDs price, I paid $40 more. Rats. Oh well, it's worth it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

SG/Hiwatt. I wish he wasn't panned so far right...a more central placement of the guitar would be even ballsier. But the tone is delicious.
    Do not forget the Univox Superfuzz - this is an essential ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    So I sort-of-preordered the box set from Import CDs on the day before the street date, when they were showing it as being In Stock. The next day the status was changed to Backordered and I hadn't received a shipping notice. Two weeks later, and following an uninformative reply to my inquiry about whether they had an expected in-stock date, I've cancelled my order, and gone to Amazon before it's too late. Only now Amazon has jacked up the price so instead of paying $18 more than the Import CDs price, I paid $40 more. Rats. Oh well, it's worth it.
    Yes. I’m a bit hesitant too! (Pre)Ordered the last Tusmorke cd from InportCD and it went directly from Pre-Order to Backordered. 4 weeks later they refunded the money. Gonna wait a little more. PopMarket might have a “daily deal” that will temporarily drop the price but only for 24 hours! That’s how I got a $63.00 discount on GG’s Unburied Treasure!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I see. I originally ordered the Tull box from Import and cancelled and bought it from Amazon.ca. It was taking too long so I cancelled and went back to Import - they had in stock for $29 U.S. I snatched it (cheaper than Amazon) and it arrived a few weeks later (this week).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-09-2021 at 03:38 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

NP: Shakin' All Over. It is my favorite track from Leeds. It's at least a top 5 favorite of all time.

WOW. Just got this yesterday and am only starting Disc 3. This fills a HUGE hole in my Who collection! I have only heard the "hits" from this and I've never heard the studio version of Lily. Been a casual fan all my life but didn't start digging into the Who catalog until John Entwhistle died. A Quality Box Set worthy of the term Fondling! However....I have "greasy" fingerprints on the book cover.....Those Fondler's need to wash their hands after eating lunch....and I HOPE it was lunch they were partaking in.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Amazon was selling this last week for $104, free shipping for Prime members. I ended up picking it up. Very cool set.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Amazon was selling this last week for $104, free shipping for Prime members. I ended up picking it up. Very cool set.
    Yup. That's why I pulled the trigger too!