Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Módulo 1000 - intense heavy, raw Brazillian Psych/prog

^Unfortunately not more lyrics than on the studio album because the live album was also recorded during the dictatorship. It starts off with a pair of originals from Som Imaginário, and then moves on to songs from Clube da Esquina, Milagre dos Peixes and other previous albums. It also includes at least one original song, the great Viola Violar. I hope you enjoy it.

^This album has earned a semi-legendary status because most of the copies (and most certainly the master tapes) of the original pressing were lost in a flood. Later on Zé Ramalho went on to become a very popular singer-songwriter here in Brazil, and this release - which was the first with his own name - has become sought after by his more hardcore fans. I've managed to own a cd reissue of it, certainly a vinyl drop, but somehow it never clicked. I rank it as an interesting experiment that gained notoriety more due to the reasons described above than for the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While still an excellent timepiece of an album, I'll actually have to adjust and moderate my stand on the matter; today I'd pick A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado for starters. It'd may be shorter of studio trickery and pure whim, but the overall stroke of melody, mood and edge outdoes all other variables. What an utterly incredible record.

Their later, more "prog" efforts were great as well, but I'd arguably deem Comédia their apex statement. This is culturally and politically entirely devastating rock/pop gusto on all imaginable levels.
    Really enjoying this. What a great sound, feel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    ^This album has earned a semi-legendary status because most of the copies (and most certainly the master tapes) of the original pressing were lost in a flood. Later on Zé Ramalho went on to become a very popular singer-songwriter here in Brazil, and this release - which was the first with his own name - has become sought after by his more hardcore fans. I've managed to own a cd reissue of it, certainly a vinyl drop, but somehow it never clicked. I rank it as an interesting experiment that gained notoriety more due to the reasons described above than for the music itself.
    In Psych circles, it's considered a masterpiece, or at least nearly so. For the music. I think it's excellent.

^I know that, and that is perfectly fine. It's just me, perhaps.

Sometimes an album is more than a sum of its parts. Paebiru is permeated by an enchanting atmosphere tht sucks the listener in, like moving sand. The moment I heard the fantastic bass line in Trilha De Sume I was hooked.

I'm from the same state as Zé Ramalho and he is revered here, though none of his later work touches Paębirú. He adopted a more Dylan-ish style in the rest of his career.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm from the same state as Zé Ramalho and he is revered here, though none of his later work touches Paębirú. He adopted a more Dylan-ish style in the rest of his career.
    I read he disowned this album.

^ I have his self-titled LP from 1978. It's fine, but not on the Paebiru level.

I think I've never seen Zé Ramalho speaking positively about Paebiru, so it's provably right to say he disowned it.

It seems that there has been a vinyl reissue few years ago that was taken from the original master tapes, so my saying that the master tapes were lost in the flood was innacurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    ^I know that, and that is perfectly fine. It's just me, perhaps.
    Me too... [emoji3]
    A good album, but I think it's overrated due to its rarity.

Enviado de meu SM-A305GT usando o Tapatalk
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

As thier 2nd album Paębirú
    this first one rersembles for me the folkier side of Kraut especially Popol Vuh

It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing. But the similarity may also stem from Popol Vuh's interest in the indigenous music of the Amazon.

Keyboardist Florian Fricke was deeply immersed in Mayan mythology at the time he formed the group

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Keyboardist Florian Fricke was deeply immersed in Mayan mythology at the time he formed the group
    I don't want to sound patronizing, but you guys realize Mayan culture has absolutelly nothing to do with Brazil, right?
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    I don't want to sound patronizing, but you guys realize Mayan culture has absolutelly nothing to do with Brazil, right?
    Indeed, and the Mayan civilization was also never within the sections of the Amazon in other LatAm states.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

I'm picking up on modern Brazilian today. Armazém, Mantra (that Proximo was surprisingly good!), Caravela Escarlate, Projeto B (A Noite; some seriously NY-Downtown-meets-Egberto), Amanajé, Parafernália (their sole release is -SO- great! Modern takes on O Terco, Veludo and Mutantes' "proggy-prog" leanings), Vesania (energetic instrumental post-Crimsonian from late 90s), Os Relógios de Frederico, Mente Clara and not least some Săo Paulo Underground delights.

The latter being merely barely "true" Brazilian, I know. But it's all cultural appropriation here anyway, so...

I'll do some older Brazilian classics later this afternoon. They're true enough.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Parafernália (their sole release is -SO- great!
    They actually have a second CD, but I never heard it. The only reason I know it exists is because they're on the same label as I am, and there was some confusion with the catalog numbers on my latest CD, which I had to change right before it went to press when Marcelo from Editio Princeps suddenly remembered they had already used that number on Parafernalia's second CD...

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    They actually have a second CD, but I never heard it. The only reason I know it exists is because they're on the same label as I am
    Kudos - and I really like the Panorama album!

Editio Princeps seems to be going in the same track as certain other wildly eclectic labels like Mylodon or AltrOck in that basically everything within the interpretation of the "progressive" term appears at home as long as the core contents are worthy. No matter the style.

I mean, there's a literal ocean of difference between an ultra-refined chamber/avant-jazz-rock troupe like Armazém and Parafernália, although both do their thing extremely well and down to detail. Which I suppose is the common factor in the first place; the professionalism of musical execution and vision.

And I see that Parafernália had a release in 2017, so that's good. And a reformed Módulo 1000 issued a single on the label in 2013!
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-14-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm releasing some very heavy Modern Brazilian Progressicodélia next month, by the way...

Y'all know Edu Lobo, right? Essential shit and probably the most genius stuff that came out of Brazil in the 70s. In my opinion. Native opinion, that is.

^ Wow, that's stupendous!

Of these I've only heard the "Lero Lero" track before, and I have to admit to never really thinking much more of it. There was never that peculiar sting I had with the radical early Veloso, for instance. I'll be sure to check it out more closely now, though.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-14-2021 at 10:51 AM.