Thread: Gino Vannelli

Gino Vannelli

Thought Iíd start a thread for Gino. I got to see him perform live a few years ago which was one of my bucket lists concerts. His early works are pretty much the only thing Iíve heard from him up to Brother to Brother. My two favorites are Gist of the Gemini and Mardi Gras. Iíve always felt as though he has one of the best rock voices ever.

You mean this guy?

Yeah, well everyone jumps the shark eventually and those songs are from when he did.

He always had his share of cheesy schmaltz, but most all of his 70s albums had blistering fusion inspired tunes right next to the drippy ballads (which I actually like too).

Check out Santa Rosa from his Nightwalker album and prepare to have your eyebrows singed! Vinnie C on drums on this album.

This is another smokin', fusion inspired tune...

Last edited by Sean; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:16 PM.

Chris, that stunt you pulled there reminds me of a "friend" who thinks all 10cc songs sound like "I'm Not In Love". Of course, anyone that knows 10cc well knows that that was the first song of it's kind. Yet they get pigeonholed as Yacht Rockers. Far from it once you dig in and investigate. No songs previous to it sound anything like it. Quite a few do after it though. 10cc post Godley and Creme gets boring pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Chris, that stunt you pulled there reminds me of a "friend" who thinks all 10cc songs sound like "I'm Not In Love".
    Exactly.

"Hey, do you like the Stones?"

"You mean the guys who did Harlem Shuffle?"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Check out his Live In LA concert on YouTube. He's got a great band. It starts off kinda slow with some lovey dovey songs but then they get rocking. For a pop singer he really likes to let his band cut loose and play.

I actually kinda like Black Cars. The production lets it down (though I understand that album won some kind of award for it), but I think the song itself is pretty good. Same thing with Wild Horses.

I dunno, I guess I'm just amused by that career path. He's about the only solo vocalist I can think of who did the stuff like he did on Gist Of A Gemini and Pauper In Paradise. Most people who were doing that kind of stuff were in either in bands, or they were instrumentalists who just happened to sing, or otherwise had someone else singing on their records (e.g. Al DiMeola or those records Allan Holdsworth did with Paul Williams singing). I just never heard of a solo vocalist doing that kind of thing.

BTW, I remember reading an article in Guitar Player about the bassist who played on his album Brother To Brother (which I think was around the time he was starting to pull away from the "prog" thing), a guy named Leon Gaer. He was apparently one of the first people (actually one of the few I know of, period) to get into using bass guitar synths. This article was from about 1979, and they showed this rig he had, where he had, I think, a Precision Bass with a quad pickup wired up to control four Oberheim SEM modules, and he had this huge pedalboard with a bunch of Moog footswitches and pedals to control the various parameters of the synths. And I remember them mentioning him playing a couple bass solos on Brother To Brother, and that was kind of my first inkling that there was more to Gino Vannelli than just Living Inside Myself and Black Cars.

And I remember Night Flight showing a Vannelli concert, which I think must have been from the late 70's, as the guitarist in the band was playing a violin shaped guitar, and I remember another GP article on Daryl Steurmer, where he talked about the violin shaped guitar he played with Vannelli.

And along with all of this stuff, he was apparently something like the 2nd or 3rd white musician to perform on Soul Train! That's kinda mindboggling if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Check out his Live In LA concert on YouTube. He's got a great band. It starts off kinda slow with some lovey dovey songs but then they get rocking. For a pop singer he really likes to let his band cut loose and play.
    No comment here, just wanted to say I like your avatar. That's about the only picture I've ever seen of GyŲrgy Ligeti where he doesn't look like he's been up for two days.

Yeah, well everyone jumps the shark eventually and those songs are from when he did.

He always had his share of cheesy schmaltz, but most all of his 70s albums had blistering fusion inspired tunes right next to the drippy ballads (which I actually like too).

Check out Santa Rosa from his Nightwalker album and prepare to have your eyebrows singed!
    So he was sort of like Chicago in that regard?

Yeah, Gino definitely had some cool stuff. I liked the tunes of his that I've heard but never explored further. Thinking that perhaps I should!

Chris, that stunt you pulled there reminds me of a "friend" who thinks all 10cc songs sound like "I'm Not In Love". Of course, anyone that knows 10cc well knows that that was the first song of it's kind. Yet they get pigeonholed as Yacht Rockers. Far from it once you dig in and investigate. No songs previous to it sound anything like it. Quite a few do after it though. 10cc post Godley and Creme gets boring pretty quick.
    That's something I've encountered too, with 10cc and a couple others. I have a cousin who's only exposure to XTC was "Dear God" from years ago, and he thinks all their stuff is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I actually kinda like Black Cars. The production lets it down (though I understand that album won some kind of award for it), but I think the song itself is pretty good. Same thing with Wild Horses.

I dunno, I guess I'm just amused by that career path. He's about the only solo vocalist I can think of who did the stuff like he did on Gist Of A Gemini and Pauper In Paradise. Most people who were doing that kind of stuff were in either in bands, or they were instrumentalists who just happened to sing, or otherwise had someone else singing on their records (e.g. Al DiMeola or those records Allan Holdsworth did with Paul Williams singing). I just never heard of a solo vocalist doing that kind of thing.

BTW, I remember reading an article in Guitar Player about the bassist who played on his album Brother To Brother (which I think was around the time he was starting to pull away from the "prog" thing), a guy named Leon Gaer. He was apparently one of the first people (actually one of the few I know of, period) to get into using bass guitar synths. This article was from about 1979, and they showed this rig he had, where he had, I think, a Precision Bass with a quad pickup wired up to control four Oberheim SEM modules, and he had this huge pedalboard with a bunch of Moog footswitches and pedals to control the various parameters of the synths. And I remember them mentioning him playing a couple bass solos on Brother To Brother, and that was kind of my first inkling that there was more to Gino Vannelli than just Living Inside Myself and Black Cars.

And I remember Night Flight showing a Vannelli concert, which I think must have been from the late 70's, as the guitarist in the band was playing a violin shaped guitar, and I remember another GP article on Daryl Steurmer, where he talked about the violin shaped guitar he played with Vannelli.

And along with all of this stuff, he was apparently something like the 2nd or 3rd white musician to perform on Soul Train! That's kinda mindboggling if you think about it.
    I have an article in Contemporary Keyboard, which features his brother and I think on the cover he has a Korg PS-3300, or PS-3100 polyphonic synthesizer in the background and I can also see a Korg MS-20 I think. In the interview he tells he has 2 Korg PS-3300 and PS-3100 synthesizers and also an Oberheim 8-voice.

Thereís an interview on YouTube where he talks about the pressure of making a hot single for his career and how and why we was against it. Itís good to listen to and see just what kind of an artist he is and who his influences were.

I saw Gino about 5 or 6 years ago at a benefit concert that was in a huge back yard. (I was a volunteer) Excellent show and musicianship.

I always liked "Living Inside Myself" (I was a kid when that was on the radio and the weird modulations in the chorus scared me a bit).

I've heard some other stuff and he tends to overdo the sex symbol posturing, but he had excellent backing musicians and he wrote some nice melodies.

Me and the buddies, always had trouble to take Vanelli seriously back then, because of his Disco King chest hairs & outfits (he put to shame Travolta ), and he was often discarded as AOR/MOR junk, but let's face it, he does have something behind those yachty sonics.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I still have a few of his albums, maybe I'll give them a listen. I always thought they were produced and sounded good.

Clipboard01.jpg

Saw his show a few years ago and he's still got it. Amazing band too.

Clipboard01.jpg

Saw his show a few years ago and he's still got it. Amazing band too.
    Whoa, nice! That's a good photo.

Glad to hear he's still at it.