Thread: R.I.P. Jim Steinman

R.I.P. Jim Steinman

Mildly surprised no-one has mentioned this already. Made Phil Spector's Wall of Sound look like a rickety picket fence. Best known for Meat Loaf and Bat out of Hell of course but I prefer his work with The Sisters of Mercy.

Sad news - BOOH and the follow up Bad For Good are great albums. Saw BOOH The Musical several times. RIP

I didn't know he did Sisters. Fine work. Another one from the 70s gone.

oooh the memory of playing paradise by the dashboard light at school parties!

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't know he did Sisters.
    He produced "This Corrosion" and "More" for their commercially successful albums Floodland and Vision Thing. For the 2nd, which I think it was their biggest hit, he is credited as a co-writer.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Jim.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP. He was like Meatloaf's Bernie Taupin. I had kind of forgotten about "Lost Boys and Golden Girls." I listened to that song a fair bit.

I was a fan of Steinman's work. "Bat Out Of Hell" is still an amazing album after all these years, and a lot of the other stuff he did was cool. Bombastic and way over the top was how Steinman rolled and I dug a good chunk of it.

Banned
    Totally Eclipsed...

RIP Jim Steinman. As a side note who knew that all of Utopia(including Todd) played on Bat out of Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    RIP Jim Steinman. As a side note who knew that all of Utopia(including Todd) played on Bat out of Hell?
    Any one that had the album and read the credits?

It might have been mentioned in the Classic Album episode on this album.

RIP to a very particular vision. It was almost like Broadway show tunes humping in the alley with 50s rock n' roll. Bat Out of Hell is not an album I play often but when I do I play it LOUD.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wasn't a fan of Meat Loaf, but of course it's sad to hear about this.

I didn't have the album, but I've read a couple of books about Todd Rundgren and learned about it that way.

Todd and Utopia were the backing band on several of his productions: L by Steve Hillage and Wasp by Shaun Cassidy are another two (War Babies by Hall & Oates had ¾ of the Disco Jets/Faithful lineup on it).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I read that Todd made enough money off Bat Out of Hell to buy his compound in Hawaii
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I really loved Jim's flair for dramatic and theatrical rock music. So many of the songs he wrote featured incredible piano work from Roy Bittan, who seemed tailor made to play Steinman's songs. An eccentric guy with a unique musical perspective.

I wrote this week's issue of Michael's Record Collection about Jim's best songs and his musical legacy, if anyone is interested.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I really loved Jim's flair for dramatic and theatrical rock music. So many of the songs he wrote featured incredible piano work from Roy Bittan, who seemed tailor made to play Steinman's songs. An eccentric guy with a unique musical perspective.

I wrote this week's issue of Michael's Record Collection about Jim's best songs and his musical legacy, if anyone is interested.
    Interesting read. Someday I might need to buy Bat out of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Someday I might need to buy Bat out of hell.
    I think I got it (among others) for Christmas (or birthday) 1978. My cousin said "Oh, I see somebody didn't know what to get you." Silly boy, I had asked for them.

good songs are all in the writing... and Steinman was one of the best.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    oooh the memory of playing paradise by the dashboard light at school parties!

RIP
    I remember playing Paradise by the Dashboard Light while parked in my car listening to the radio by the dashboard light.

RIP Jim & thx for one of the album that consolidated my youth and sort of prefigured many teens' soundtrack.

I played my vinyl almost transparent back then. Back then, it seemed like every song on it was sêcifically written about or for me as it spoke mainly about my life soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    RIP to a very particular vision. It was almost like Broadway show tunes humping in the alley with 50s rock n' roll. Bat Out of Hell is not an album I play often but when I do I play it LOUD.
    Yup, extremely well recorded album that allowed for loud playing. Better wall of sound than Spector, TBH.
    TBH, a lot of the BOOH sonics seemed almost as much out of a Springsteen album (Bittan & Weinberg) than a Rundgren album

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I wasn't a fan of Meat Loaf, but of course it's sad to hear about this.
    I didn't have the album, but I've read a couple of books about Todd Rundgren and learned about it that way.
    TBH, I only liked BOOH and parts of Bad For Good, but the latter wasn't all that suited for repeated playing/listening (namely that lengthy monologue)

By the time the following Meaqtloaf album was out, I'd grown tired of it all (even if Steinman didn't partake in Dead Ringer) and stopped following it. I borrowed BAAH
    from the library, and I'm not even sure I played the album through entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Interesting read. Someday I might need to buy Bat out of hell.
    I still spin it now and then, though a lot of it (if not all of it) still gets played on classic rock radios
    Last edited by Trane; 05-01-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    RIP Jim & thx for one of the album that consolidated my youth and sort of prefigured many teens' soundtrack.

I played my vinyl almost transparent back then. Back then, it seemed like every song on it was sêcifically written about or for me as it spoke mainly about my life soundtrack
    s
    Same for me. I was in high school when the album came out and it was like nothing I had ever heard before, and like you say the lyrics were very relatable at that age.