Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pineapple Thief Where We Stood 20017 LIVE SHOW

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. I also remember that he was having equipment problems during the performance and he was trying to troubleshoot his rig on the fly. All that time he was joking and telling road stories. It could have been a disaster, but his charming, humble nature really won the audience over that night.
    From memory I seem to remember he had issues with either visa or passport. All In all it was a very difficult trip for him. Although I'm sure he has mentioned it was an enjoyable experience

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Can anyone rank the top 3 Pineapple Thief albums?
    Cheating a bit 3000 days, Magnolia, Your Wilderness
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I couldn't because the albums can be so very different. Depends which period of the band you enjoy more.

You could cut a corner and go for the double disc 3000 Days, which offers an excellent summation of the band's earlier albums before signing to Kscope. It's compiled by Soord himself, and flows pretty much like an album in its own right, rather than a bunch of sings culled from five albums. And it includes detailed liner notes about each song chosen.

I know you only asked for 3, but I'm going to indulge myself since I'm so excited there's a TPT thread that's gotten more than 5-6 replies.

I left out EPs, compilations, and live releases. I also left out bonus discs.

1. Tightly Unwound
    2. All The Wars
    3. Someone Here is Missing

These 3 are my favorite and the three full length albums released between 2008-2012. The band got heavier, proggier, punchier, and maybe contains the most material that "could have been" commercial hits imo.

4. What We Have Sown (A transitional album between Little Man and Tightly Unwound)
    5. Little Man (remnants of a Radiohead electronic-layered style in 10 Stories)
    6. 137 (sort of like if Radiohead and PTree had a stepchild. It's an earlier album and has its strong roots and influences in 90s alt-rock)
    7. Magnolia (Split on this one. Feels like leftover songs from All the Wars and other half a transition to Your Wilderness)
    8. Dissolution (My favorite of the newer albums. It has punch, feels like a sequel to All The Wars)
    9. 10 Stories Down (sort of a transitional album to Little Man, still heavy in Radiohead and Ptree. Has an emotive quality similar to Gazpacho)
    10. Your Wilderness (Has moments of greatness and mediocrity)
    11. Versions of the Truth (I like it, but don't find it memorable)
    12. Variations on a Dream (Has a Smashing Pumpkins vibe and more conceptual)
    13. Abducting the Unicorn (1st album. Glimpses of what was to come, but more for the completist)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

1. Tightly Unwound
    2. All The Wars
    That would be my three fave as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I know you only asked for 3, but I'm going to indulge myself since I'm so excited there's a TPT thread that's gotten more than 5-6 replies.

Your list was a fair assessment I thought. I would just say that the latest album has had more of an impact on me having seen the recent on line gig. That was so impressive particularly the recent songs

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

1. Tightly Unwound
    2. All The Wars

These 3 are my favorite and the three full length albums released between 2008-2012. The band got heavier, proggier, punchier, and maybe contains the most material that "could have been" commercial hits imo.

4. What We Have Sown (A transitional album between Little Man and Tightly Unwound)
    5. Little Man (remnants of a Radiohead electronic-layered style in 10 Stories)
    6. 137 (sort of like if Radiohead and PTree had a stepchild. It's an earlier album and has its strong roots and influences in 90s alt-rock)
    7. Magnolia (Split on this one. Feels like leftover songs from All the Wars and other half a transition to Your Wilderness)
    8. Dissolution (My favorite of the newer albums. It has punch, feels like a sequel to All The Wars)
    9. 10 Stories Down (sort of a transitional album to Little Man, still heavy in Radiohead and Ptree. Has an emotive quality similar to Gazpacho)
    10. Your Wilderness (Has moments of greatness and mediocrity)
    11. Versions of the Truth (I like it, but don't find it memorable)
    12. Variations on a Dream (Has a Smashing Pumpkins vibe and more conceptual)
    13. Abducting the Unicorn (1st album. Glimpses of what was to come, but more for the completist)
    Wow! That's a list. I have Tightly Unwound and will have to pull it out again to spin it. I don't see how you can go wrong with a Radiohead/Porcupine Tree influence. It sounds like your favourite music is from 10 years ago. What about their more recent work (do you see an improvement?)?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 09:19 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Your list was a fair assessment I thought. I would just say that the latest album has had more of an impact on me having seen the recent on line gig. That was so impressive particularly the recent songs
    I didn't see you response when I replied to Sean just above. I think I need to pick up PT's latest album!

I didn't see you response when I replied to Sean just above. I think I need to pick up PT's latest album!
    Took me a little while to get into it. Very subtle. Certainly getting into it now.

Just been reading about the Soord Sessions set. Its almost all sold out. Not certain if it's due for a re-run

1) Variations on a Dream
    2) Tightly Unwound
    3) Someone Here Is Missing
    4) Little Man
    5) Your Wilderness
    6) Dissolution
    7) 10 Stories Down

After this I find it hard to rank them. My favourite sole moment in PT discography is the chord change during Different World's chorus. Simple and effective but amazing.

Magnolia and All The Wars weren't their best albums to me. Maybe I need to revisit.

Wow! That's a list. I have Tightly Unwound and will have to pull it out again to spin it. I don't see how you can go wrong with a Radiohead/Porcupine Tree influence. It sounds like your favourite music is from 10 years ago. What about their more recent work (do you see an improvement?)?
    If I was to knock Bruce Soord in any area, it would be that the music across 20+ years is ultimately rather samey. I think the reason I don't rank the later albums higher - or they fail to make an impression - is because I have been listening to TPT since about the time of 10 Stories Down. Each album on their own is various degrees of solid. But when you lived with several albums for years, the newer work doesn't break enough new ground to keep me all that interested. You could claim something similar with Roine Stolt and Neal Morse I suppose.

That said, Soord's vocals have evolved over time, his compositional approach is still solid, and he is still capable of both moving you and rocking you. So I suppose it's where you hop on board that helps set your expectations.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

What I find quite wonderful is that, if you are fortunate to get a special edition, you get virtually a reinvention of the whole album in acoustic format. Or something else altogether different. They are well worth searching out if still available.

Guess I found TPT around the 3000 days period. Wasn't a huge fan although I liked many songs but overall didn't feel the albums were strong from start to finish. That changed for me with Someone here is missing and have enjoyed all of the albums since.

I don't think the new album gets the love it deserves. Something about the pacing is off, possibly, but all of the songs are great to me.

So my recommendations are:

Someone Here Is Missing
    All The Wars
    Magnolia
    Your Wilderness
    Dissolution
    Versions of the Truth
    3000 Days

Will also give a shoutout to the title track to What We Have Sown. It ticks all of the prog boxes but I think it's a great song that flies by despite it's length. Would sound amazing with Gavin playing.

At my first show, I was told that they'd played What We Have Sown a few gigs back.....would've loved to see it but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    Guess I found TPT around the 3000 days period. Wasn't a huge fan although I liked many songs but overall didn't feel the albums were strong from start to finish. That changed for me with Someone here is missing and have enjoyed all of the albums since.

I don't think the new album gets the love it deserves. Something about the pacing is off, possibly, but all of the songs are great to me.

So my recommendations are:

Someone Here Is Missing
    Is the TP's most recent album?

No, Versions of the Truth is the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    No, Versions of the Truth is the latest.
    Were you rank ordering your list of rec's? Versions of Truth is near the bottom. I thought with Gavin it would have ranked higher.

Were you rank ordering your list of rec's? Versions of Truth is near the bottom. I thought with Gavin it would have ranked higher.
    Oh, I was more or less going chronologically.

Hmmm, by favorite:

Your Wilderness
    Someone here is missing
    Versions of the Truth
    Dissolution
    Magnolia
    All the Wars
    3000 Days (to cover the rest)

Or something like that.......... (maybe swap 3 and 4)

^^ I think 3,000 Days is a pretty good way to cover the earlier phase if you are just dipping your toes in the water, but I really do think Tightly Unwound is cohesive album and stands up well on its own against anything that came later.

^^^ Thanks, both. Great feedback.

Fresh stock of Soord Sessions now inat Burning Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Fresh stock of Soord Sessions now inat Burning Shed
    I'll check that out!