Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pineapple Thief Where We Stood 20017 LIVE SHOW

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

The Pineapple Thief Where We Stood 20017 LIVE SHOW

I've owned quite a few Pineapple Thief CDs and have found them pleasant but not spellbinding. I can across this, relatively, recent full concert from the band with Gavin Harrison on drums. It's quite impressive! I'm really enjoying it. Your thoughts?

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Bruce Soord is a convincing frontman. Impressive guitarist and fine vocal delivery. I think the addition of Gavin Harrison has moved the band to a higher level of quality.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I had not seen the whole show. Nice mix, good video.
    I had found Alone At Sea a while back and that is a killer version.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I had not seen the whole show. Nice mix, good video.
    I had found Alone At Sea a while back and that is a killer version.
    I think live playing really tells you how good a band performs. The whole show is awesome to watch (for free!) and is indeed killer! Tons of power and melody.

I like these guys quite a bit. Mostly their last 5-6 releases. The early ones are a mixed bag for me. Harrison has added a lot obviously.

They're releasing a concert film tomorrow (PPV), that's only available for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    I like these guys quite a bit. Mostly their last 5-6 releases. The early ones are a mixed bag for me. Harrison has added a lot obviously.
    Gavin makes a huge impact. I've never seen the band live but their live performance here is stellar!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-21-2021 at 02:31 PM.

It was a wonderful show, I was there!!

Here's the link for the film if anyone is interested.

https://www.pineapplethief.com/thetruth/

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    It was a wonderful show, I was there!!
    Where did you see the show?

I've listened to these guys a couple of times. Soord sounds very much like Steven Wilson vocally. The music is a bit less heavy than latter-day Porcupine Tree, but very much in the same style, to my ears.

As this thread is about live material I would highly recommend Bruce's latest release The Soord Sessions. Recorded live from his studio during lockdown these sessions cover acoustic versions of songs from across his career with The Pineapple Thief. It really is a delightful set.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

They're releasing a concert film tomorrow (PPV), that's only available for a few days.
    I saw Pineapple Thief at NEARfest - I forget what year that was, but I'm pretty sure it was when their most recent album was the one with the phot on the cover of the guy covered in yellow Post-It notes. Where would that be in the band's development? Did you like them then? I wasn't really that interested in them at the time, and their performance didn't make much of an impression on me. But I knew they already had a lot of rabid fans then, so I was open minded, I think.

Spotify INSISTS in playing their song Demons from the latest album for me when it can't think of anything else to play. I've come to really like that song, but not when Spotify pushes it on me.

I'll have to check out this live show posted. I have one of their very early Cyclops releases, and also saw them open for Marillion at their 2005 Weekend in Bristol when they were probably just babes. Nothing to pull me in at this early point either.

Here's the link for the film if anyone is interested.

https://www.pineapplethief.com/thetruth/
    More than likely, I'll be "attending" this show this weekend.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I saw Pineapple Thief at NEARfest - I forget what year that was, but I'm pretty sure it was when their most recent album was the one with the phot on the cover of the guy covered in yellow Post-It notes. Where would that be in the band's development? Did you like them then? I wasn't really that interested in them at the time, and their performance didn't make much of an impression on me. But I knew they already had a lot of rabid fans then, so I was open minded, I think.

I'll have to check out this live show posted. I have one of their very early Cyclops releases, and also saw them open for Marillion at their 2005 Weekend in Bristol when they were probably just babes. Nothing to pull me in at this early point either.
    Jed, I was never really drawn into any of PT's albums - keep buying them but found them pleasant but nothing special. If you check out the video I posted, searing guitars, excellent vocals, world class drumming. It's really powerful. Let me know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Where did you see the show?
    I saw the one that was released in the original post. It was in Islington at the town hall if memory serves. Having seen them in little venues and pubs 15 years ago, it's been quite the journey for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I saw them play this album at the launch party gig in London, it was a fun evening with quite a few prog luminaries in attendance. This would be mid-period really, and to be honest this is not my favourite of theirs. If you want to revisit the early era, I like the compilation 3,000 Days very much, if you can find a copy. The album that preceded this one is Tightly Unwound, which has stayed with me throughout, and is a high water mark in my opinion.

I’m really pleased to see them getting some wider recognition, after many years of pursuing their art. I am tempted by the Soord Sessions set, and should probably pick one up before they sell out.

Like Bowie, The Beatles, King Crimson, Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and many other greats, The Pineapple Thief are certainly developing 'periods' that different music fans prefer. Not comparing any of those bands and artists but the similarities by not sticking to one winning formula and not resting on laurels are now there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I saw them play this album at the launch party gig in London, it was a fun evening with quite a few prog luminaries in attendance. This would be mid-period really, and to be honest this is not my favourite of theirs. If you want to revisit the early era, I like the compilation 3,000 Days very much, if you can find a copy. The album that preceded this one is Tightly Unwound, which has stayed with me throughout, and is a high water mark in my opinion.

I’m really pleased to see them getting some wider recognition, after many years of pursuing their art. I am tempted by the Soord Sessions set, and should probably pick one up before they sell out.
    The Soord Sessions is a really good release. I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Like Bowie, The Beatles, King Crimson, Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and many other greats, The Pineapple Thief are certainly developing 'periods' that different music fans prefer. Not comparing any of those bands and artists but the similarities by not sticking to one winning formula and not resting on laurels are now there.
    Yeah, I'm very interested in following where Soord is heading. Unless he's going to wander into disco.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

TPT are one of those bands that sit on the periphery of prog, but I've always been attracted to them because of the quality of the songwriting rather than any prog influences.

This has become more the case in recent years, with arrival of Harrison - but not so much as a drummer - more as an arranger. Soord's early material can suffer a bit from being drawn out and repetitive, as you'd expect from any young writer trying to find their voice and sound. I think he's really come on as a writer in the intervening years, but he admitted by the time of Your Wilderness he was thinking that would be his last album.

It was only the arrival of Harrison, initially as a drummer on hire for the album, that changed things. Harrison offered to help review the material, and turns out to be a skilled arranger, and that gave Soord the shot in the arm he needed, and for me that's the real success story. Harrison's drumming is of course excellent and tasteful, and I guess his presence has brought in more fans.

But for me, it starts and ends with the songs, and it's a measure of how good they can be when you strip away the other players/instruments and you listen to Soord perform them solo.

I'd recommend trying his new sampler from his recent streaming sessions, available as a download from Bandcamp. Alternatively you could do a deep dive and buy the box set of all four sessions, which is what I did.

You can read my thoughts on these releases here: https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2021/

That made me laugh.

That said though, I don't mind Steven Wilson's new album. And Love you to Bits by No-man. I find them a refreshing change.

But you are right. I wouldn't mind a couple more albums from Bruce in a more rock direction. Then he can go disco

Does anyone remember who opened for Steven Wislon's last USA tour? I would swear it was Bruce Soord doing a solo performance playing guitar thru a delay box. He talked about driving from gig to gig by himself in a rental car.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Does anyone remember who opened for Steven Wislon's last USA tour? I would swear it was Bruce Soord doing a solo performance playing guitar thru a delay box. He talked about driving from gig to gig by himself in a rental car.
    He did, you are absolutely correct

In fact some of the artwork for Your Wilderness album were photographed during that mammoth journey following Wilson around

Thanks for the confirmation. I also remember that he was having equipment problems during the performance and he was trying to troubleshoot his rig on the fly. All that time he was joking and telling road stories. It could have been a disaster, but his charming, humble nature really won the audience over that night.

Can anyone rank the top 3 Pineapple Thief albums?