Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gentle Giant CDs: Which ones are "definitive"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I can recommend Thick as a brick & Tales from Topographic - but avoid Relayer
    good to know.. thx
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    great news.. FH, Power and Interview are the only SW must haves for me. may get Octopus too..
    I can recommend Thick as a brick & Tales from Topographic - but avoid Relayer
    I actually would recommend Relayer as well. Wilson cleaned it up a lot and improved the album drastically -- to my ears at least. I was never a fan of the original mix on Relayer, but I enjoyed the album in spite of it.

If you were only going to get two of the SW remixes, Relayer and TFTO are the essential ones IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    If your In A Glass House is the "Alucard – alu-gg-02" from 2000, it's the best version.
    I have that version of In A Glass House. Purchased from GG's website back in 2000. Never heard any other versions of this album (or any complaints about it from anyone) but I think it sounds great so you can call it the Definitive CD of IAGH.

My personal, definitive, GG records are:
    ...drum roll...

Acquiring The Taste
    Octopus
    In A Glass House

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I actually would recommend Relayer as well. Wilson cleaned it up a lot and improved the album drastically -- to my ears at least. I was never a fan of the original mix on Relayer, but I enjoyed the album in spite of it.

If you were only going to get two of the SW remixes, Relayer and TFTO are the essential ones IMO.
    I was SO dissapointed with Relayer. I got TFTO first, and it is so good! So my expectations on Relayer were high. I hoped that he would separate the instruments a little more than on the original mixes, which would have been just nice. But instead Steven have mixed Moraz ridiculously low, same goes for Squire in several places, and contrarily he has raised Howes guitar, especially on Sound Chaser - which really wasn't necessary...

I am keeping my LP and the remaster CD (from Rhino).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Free Hand, Interview and The Missing Piece have all been remixed by Wilson. Waiting on the band to decide whether to release individually or as a box set.
    Eggcellent!

just to clarify, my original comment was in reference to GG releases only. but now that you bring it up..

i definitely plan on getting the Yes releases. TFTO, Relayer and CttE are already in my Amazon cart. Relayer and Ctte seem to still be available but right now TFTO isn't for whatever reason.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    just to clarify, my original comment was in reference to GG releases only. but now that you bring it up..

i definitely plan on getting the Yes releases. TFTO, Relayer and CttE are already in my Amazon cart. Relayer and Ctte seem to still be available but right now TFTO isn't for whatever reason.
    Yeah, I just got carried away. Sorry about that. My opinion of the Relayer remix is a lot different from Zeuhlmate's.

The SW remixes of Power and the Glory and Octopus are great. I'm really glad to have them.

I was SO dissapointed with Relayer. I got TFTO first, and it is so good! So my expectations on Relayer were high. I hoped that he would separate the instruments a little more than on the original mixes, which would have been just nice. But instead Steven have mixed Moraz ridiculously low, same goes for Squire in several places, and contrarily he has raised Howes guitar, especially on Sound Chaser - which really wasn't necessary...

I am keeping my LP and the remaster CD (from Rhino).
    Well I'm keeping my Rhino CD too, but I had a very different experience with the new mix of Relayer apparently. It was like the aural muck was cleared away and the whole thing sounded a lot better to me. I didn't notice any problem with hearing Moraz's keyboards either. But different ears, and all that.

I’m getting a hankering for listening to some GG now

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I’m getting a hankering for listening to some GG now
    I know, I'm listening to The Missing Piece now because of this thread!

Preorder links live tomorrow.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I actually would recommend Relayer as well. Wilson cleaned it up a lot and improved the album drastically -- to my ears at least. I was never a fan of the original mix on Relayer
    I agree. Like I said before, he seems to find space where there wasn't any before. Relayer in fact is one I wish SW had actually remastered as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Preorder links live tomorrow.
    Just shared this video link on my Facebook feed. Thanks for posting, Dok

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Just shared this video link on my Facebook feed. Thanks for posting, Dok
    Yes Sir Yesman!