Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hammill (cover of Prog)

Peter Hammill (cover of Prog)

On the newsstands this Friday, April 23rd (well... at least in the UK; probably another month or so here in the States). Hammill on the cover of the new issue of Prog magazine

"Van der Graaf Generator legend Peter Hammill graces the cover of the new issue. Peter must be the busiest man in prog at the moment, with a new solo album, ‘In Translation’, an upcoming massive VdGG reissues campaign, as well as collaborations with Isildurs Bane and The Amorphous Androgynous. We cover all of this in a fascinating interview that gets to the core of what makes Hammill tick."

PH cover.jpg

...and I got an email notice of this.....begging me to re-subscribe!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    ...and I got an email notice of this.....begging me to re-subscribe!
    The Wire is also doing a cover story (a 2 parter) on VdGG for their June issue. And Record Collector is doing a big PH career-spanning article, coming out soon. All good stuff!

“Massive VdGG reissues campaign” is certainly news.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    , an upcoming massive VdGG reissues campaign

PH cover.jpg
    Have more infos?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    On the newsstands this Friday, April 23rd (well... at least in the UK; probably another month or so here in the States). Hammill on the cover of the new issue of Prog magazine

"Van der Graaf Generator legend Peter Hammill graces the cover of the new issue. Peter must be the busiest man in prog at the moment, with a new solo album, ‘In Translation’, an upcoming massive VdGG reissues campaign, as well as collaborations with Isildurs Bane and The Amorphous Androgynous. We cover all of this in a fascinating interview that gets to the core of what makes Hammill tick."

PH cover.jpg
    Who's doing these reissues?

I hope they release a new remaster of Pawn Hearts and do it properly. They way over-compressed and maximized it , horrible sounding, especially the cymbals and drums. I much prefer the original Caroline release.

They are one of the few name 'prog' acts to have resisted remixes, so I'm guessing reissues will be along those lines...providing multi-tracks still exist. Always good to have those brilliant albums back in the spotlight.

Looking forward to this edition. I subscribed for the iPad version, it makes it all much easier in these covid times.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Right? Again?
    Chad

From the article:

"Peter Hammill says that the band's classic albums are now owned by Universal, and reissues are coming later this year. He says that these will include 5.1 mixes, which have already been done. No details of format or how they'll be released, but he says the 5.1 mixes are excellent, and were done by Stephen Tayler (who mixed the recent Be Bop Deluxe reissue series), with Van Der Graaf's keyboardist/bassist Hugh Banton being heavily involved."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    From the article:

"Peter Hammill says that the band's classic albums are now owned by Universal, and reissues are coming later this year. He says that these will include 5.1 mixes, which have already been done. No details of format or how they'll be released, but he says the 5.1 mixes are excellent, and were done by Stephen Tayler (who mixed the recent Be Bop Deluxe reissue series), with Van Der Graaf's keyboardist/bassist Hugh Banton being heavily involved."
    HOLY S#!T!! If there was a dream 5.1 mix for me, VDDG would be it!
    Never thought it would materialize as I thought the multis were all lost.

^ I'm still going to hold out hope that they find some decent live shows to include and maybe--just maybe--the rest of what would have been the second side of Pawn Hearts. The live-in-studio version of "Squid/Octopus" was included on the last H to He reissue and was to have been included in the proposed double album. (Unless I am misremembering something, which is entirely and in likelihood possible.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

From the article:

There IS a God.

If they undo the ill-advised remastering job of the mid-00's, it can be.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ I'm still going to hold out hope that they find some decent live shows to include and maybe--just maybe--the rest of what would have been the second side of Pawn Hearts. The live-in-studio version of "Squid/Octopus" was included on the last H to He reissue and was to have been included in the proposed double album. (Unless I am misremembering something, which is entirely and in likelihood possible.)
    You remembered correctly and I'd agree with you -if anything of the quality of that live-in-the studio track exists it would be wonderful. The latest is that its going to be a 20 CD box set called 'The Charisma years' which means there's going to be a lot of new material, but the question is -where on earth did they find it all, and is it of listenable quality?

The Charisma albums are 7, one of them is a double (Vital), so they should account for 8 discs. Therefore, another 8 discs should be the 5.1 stuff.
    That leaves space for 4 extra discs, 3 of which could be BBC stuff (even if the BBC stuff could easily fill 4 cd - i know it, since my own 'upgraded' BBC collection is 4 cds).
    I highly doubt some new material has been unearthed, let's hope for some BBC upgrades and above all that they will not brickwall the main albums.

If all the work has not been completed yet, they should seriously consider consulting some knowledgeable VDGG expert to help them out compile the box without the usual errors and omissions.

Any links to that box set thingy???

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Any links to that box set thingy???
    Not yet -the info I have is from 'someone in the know' who released the details (but not the track listings) of the release on the Facebook forum, but nothing official yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Not yet -the info I have is from 'someone in the know' who released the details (but not the track listings) of the release on the Facebook forum, but nothing official yet.
    Thanx, a VdGG Box set is what I was waiting for. I love my Boxy Sets :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Thanx, a VdGG Box set is what I was waiting for. I love my Boxy Sets :-)
    But there already was one, "The Box".
    Chad

But there already was one, "The Box".
    One of the first things I ever bought online, when I finally decided to trust my credit card number out there in the clouds.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The Charisma albums are 7, one of them is a double (Vital), so they should account for 8 discs. Therefore, another 8 discs should be the 5.1 stuff.
    That leaves space for 4 extra discs, 3 of which could be BBC stuff (even if the BBC stuff could easily fill 4 cd - i know it, since my own 'upgraded' BBC collection is 4 cds).
    I highly doubt some new material has been unearthed, let's hope for some BBC upgrades and above all that they will not brickwall the main albums.

If all the work has not been completed yet, they should seriously consider consulting some knowledgeable VDGG expert to help them out compile the box without the usual errors and omissions.
    Actually, there would be only 15 discs if you count 8 for stereo and 7 dvd or Blu-ray, because Vital could fit on one 5.1 disc, so that means 5 discs of extras

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Stranger things have happened. Look at the Gong boxset - Love From The Planet Gong - released in 2019. There were five CDs containing high-quality live performances from 44/46 years earlier that had never seen the light of day. Let's hope that there is some in-studio stuff lying around - as per Squid on H To He.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    If they undo the ill-advised remastering job of the mid-00's, it can be.
    Agreed. PH should not be involved in that area.