Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hammill (cover of Prog)

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Stranger things have happened. Look at the Gong boxset - Love From The Planet Gong - released in 2019. There were five CDs containing high-quality live performances from 44/46 years earlier that had never seen the light of day. Let's hope that there is some in-studio stuff lying around - as per Squid on H To He.
    Probably didn't record every show like Crimson did, though.

There must be some valid live recordings, but on their own admission, out of 5 VdGG concerts, two were disasters, two more were OK and one was stupendous. And they didn't know ahead of time when they would be great and record the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Agreed. PH should not be involved in that area.
    Mind you, for his defense, Hammill was going with the times (you know the zeitgeist thing).

Plenty more experienced producers than him (Peter was an amateur in that dept) did just as bad or worse.
    Last edited by Trane; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:16 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Stranger things have happened. Look at the Gong boxset - Love From The Planet Gong - released in 2019. There were five CDs containing high-quality live performances from 44/46 years earlier that had never seen the light of day. Let's hope that there is some in-studio stuff lying around - as per Squid on H To He.
    Yes, sometimes unexpected things happen indeed, so let's hope this is the case as well.

Anyway, there is still something worth mentioning that happened recently: regarding BBC sessions, a few big upgrades have been unearthed (good quality off-air recordings of Lost and Killer from 12 october 1970 - Killer is the full 8 minutes, Theme One/Dambusters March from 23 september 1971 and Octopus from the very first session of 18 november 1968 - this recent upgrade comes from the broadcast repeat of february 1969). All of them are now on par with the other already released BBC stuff. There's also the edited Killer (6:15) + Peter Hammill brief interview from 12 october 1970 that can be found in even better sound quality on a rare BBC Transcription Disc and there are the first 3 tracks (Man-Erg, W and Killer) from the 23 september 1971 session that can be found on another rare BBC Transcription Disc (Pick Of The Pops For Your D.J. #362).

The withdrawed Shel Talmy mix of The Least We Can Do album could also be added as a bonus, not only out of curiosity, but also because it offers a different perspective of a few songs. Refugees is outstanding in my opinion, with Guy Evans' drums prominently brought to the foreground.

Then, there are the newly found Refugees and Cat's Eye videos.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The Charisma albums are 7, one of them is a double (Vital), so they should account for 8 discs. Therefore, another 8 discs should be the 5.1 stuff.
    That leaves space for 4 extra discs, 3 of which could be BBC stuff (even if the BBC stuff could easily fill 4 cd - i know it, since my own 'upgraded' BBC collection is 4 cds).
    I highly doubt some new material has been unearthed, let's hope for some BBC upgrades and above all that they will not brickwall the main albums.

If all the work has not been completed yet, they should seriously consider consulting some knowledgeable VDGG expert to help them out compile the box without the usual errors and omissions.
    Quiet Zone and Present were also on Charisma/Virgin, so if these are included there won't be any bonus albums!

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Quiet Zone and Present were also on Charisma/Virgin, so if these are included there won't be any bonus albums!
    Quiet Zone was already included in the count of 7, while Present was actually from EMI/Virgin with a resurgence of the Charisma logo for nostalgia reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The Charisma albums are 7.
    I’m counting the albums in my head as I text on my iPhone, but weren’t there eight 70s Charisma albums?

Least
    H to He
    Pawn Hearts
    Godbluff
    Still life
    World Record
    Quiet Zone
    Vital

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I’m counting the albums in my head as I text on my iPhone, but weren’t there eight 70s Charisma albums?

Least
    H to He
    Pawn Hearts
    Godbluff
    Still life
    World Record
    Quiet Zone
    Vital
    Yes, you're right. 8.
    I have all the cds lined up spine by spine, and The Least We Can Do is the only one with a white spine which is close to a series of other cds with white spines. So i started counting from H to He. That's the reason i only counted 7.
    But they're 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post

Least
    H to He
    Pawn Hearts
    Godbluff
    Still life
    World Record
    Quiet Zone
    Vital
    I will be more than happy with new mixes and mastering on the stereo CDs and if every album has 5.1 discs. That alone it's worth the price, which I hope isn't too high but I am willing to pay

The latest bit of info I have says "Only four albums will have the 5.1 - H to He, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life." So there's still room for speculation on the remaining 6 to 8 CDs.

The latest bit of info I have says "Only four albums will have the 5.1 - H to He, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life." So there's still room for speculation on the remaining 6 to 8 CDs.
    Still life is my favorite, so I am happy with that info.

Very happy with this info too, was hoping for still life too

Even without surround mixes, they might fill other discs up with high resolution versions. If they're going that way, however, I might be inclined to skip the box and buy the high resolution versions off a store such as Qobuz. In most cases, this would be my fourth time buying these albums. In several cases my fifth or sixth.

I want my VdGG boxy set now

Can't wait to share some of the news about these re-issues - I'm going to have to wait for the official press release before I can share any information! SWT

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    Can't wait to share some of the news about these re-issues - I'm going to have to wait for the official press release before I can share any information! SWT
    If you are he, then I loved your work on the recent Kate Bush albums (and the two shows I got to see) as well as the new Bebop Deluxe mixes.

yes, that is me!! bless you x

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    July! Ach. I guess I can wait.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Where did you get this info from?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Probably didn't recprd every show like Crimson did, though.

There must be some valid live r(ecordings, but on their own admission, out of 5 VdGG concerts, two were disasters, two more were OK and one was stupendous. And they didn't know ahead of time when they would be great and record the performance.

Mind you, for his defence, Hammill was going with the times (you know the zeitgeist thing).

Plenty more experienced producers than him (Peter was an amateur in that dept) did just as bad or worse.
    Guy Evans did a brilliant job with Vital, that's one of the best sounding live albums ever. Completely evil. Get him in, he knows his onions.

I've been asked not to reveal the source! Sorry about that.

Pre-order for the new IB/PH album is up!

https://burningshed.com/store/isildu...ter+20+05+2021

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary music. Sweden’s leading chamber rock ensemble, Isildurs Bane, and the legendary Van Der Graaf Generator vocalist and composer, Peter Hammill, have joined forces once again and have risen to that challenge.

In Disequilibrium consists of two contrasting suites awash with intricate arrangements for guitar, mallet instruments, woodwind and more.

Pre-order for 24th September release. Available on CD and as a limited red vinyl in gatefold sleeve.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Hmm that red vinyl edition looks to be a must have!

Complete tracklist seems to be here, in a rather scattered fashion:

https://store.hmv.com/store/music/cd...ears-1970-1978

So no Refugees promo video?

So in summary, it looks like:

10 CDs of the original albums + bonus material (including a full disc of Pawn Hearts extras and Vital spread over two discs with no added tracks)

3 CDs of live shows (Rimini '75 and Paris '76)

4 CDs of stereo remixes (H to He, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, Still Life, not including bonus tracks)

2 BRs of 5.1 remixes (same four albums as above)

1 BR of video

I certainly hope that the omission of the track "Still Life" from the 5.1 mixes is a typo.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY overwhelmingly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Rimini was an audience recording (assuming it is the same source). One would hope Paris is not.

I wonder if 'Theme One' is the correct single version.

There was an early withdrawn mix of The Least We Can Do. They could have used that in lieu of a remix.