Thread: Emerson, Lake & Palmer Get ‘Definitive’ Book

Emerson, Lake & Palmer Get ‘Definitive’ Book

“This is the story as it happened, as the group told it, because it’s in our own words,” Carl Palmer says

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-book-1157909/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stevens View Post
    “This is the story as it happened, as the group told it, because it’s in our own words,” Carl Palmer says

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-book-1157909/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just sticking this question here:

I’m starting the day with “Pirates!” Haven’t listened to it in a long time. Did Emerson borrow from any pre-existing music by other composers for this?

ELP have a fairly zany history as prog bands go, and I've never read a full book about them (I'm sure others exist). I'll add this one to the shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just sticking this question here:

I’m starting the day with “Pirates!” Haven’t listened to it in a long time. Did Emerson borrow from any pre-existing music by other composers for this?
    Not that I know of. I believe it is all Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    ELP have a fairly zany history as prog bands go, and I've never read a full book about them (I'm sure others exist). I'll add this one to the shopping list.
    Both Keith and Greg's books are well worth reading. Keith's book digs up a bit more dirt, but I found them both very interesting reads. Carl is supposedly also working on an autobiography as well which will be an auto buy for me when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Both Keith and Greg's books are well worth reading. Keith's book digs up a bit more dirt, but I found them both very interesting reads. Carl is supposedly also working on an autobiography as well which will be an auto buy for me when it comes out.
    I’d like to read Greg’s book. I recently re-read Keith’s book; the first time through I felt it was a bit juvenile but a good read. After his death, the re-read made me see the book in a less positive light. It is incredibly juvenile and extremely sad to read about his hang-ups and especially, his hand trouble. After the re-read I had no problem understanding that he took his own life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I’d like to read Greg’s book. I recently re-read Keith’s book; the first time through I felt it was a bit juvenile but a good read. After his death, the re-read made me see the book in a less positive light. It is incredibly juvenile and extremely sad to read about his hang-ups and especially, his hand trouble. After the re-read I had no problem understanding that he took his own life.
    I have thought about re-reading it in the wake of his passing. I read it when it first came out which has been a while. Agree, about the juvenile aspect of some of it, although he was in the middle of the height of rock n roll excess. The suicide really did not surprise me that much either. He seemed to be a troubled soul in some ways and not being able to play like he could when he was younger had to have made that situation worse.