Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish You Were Here tribute album

Wish You Were Here tribute album

Another all-star tribute album from Cleopatra Records - surprisingly no Billy Sherwood on this one. Street date of May 28th.

TRACK LISTING
    1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) feat. Geoff Tate, Steve Hackett, Billy Sheehan, Mel Collins, Geoff Downes, Ian Paice
    2. Welcome To The Machine feat. Todd Rundgren, Rick Wakeman, Tony Levin
    3. Have A Cigar feat. James LaBrie, Steve Stevens, Patrick Moraz, Rat Scabies, Jah Wobble
    4. Wish You Were Here feat. Rik Emmett, Joe Satriani, Edgar Froese, David Ellefson, Carmine Appice
    5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9) feat. Rod Argent, Steve Hillage, Ian Paice, Bootsy Collins

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A tribute album on Cleopatra Records, you don't say.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If you don't start the video, you won't know that it features not only Todd Rundgren, but also Rick Wakeman, and Tony Levin! That's practically a supergroup. And the cover is pretty good1

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    don't start the video
    1000% best advice
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I did start the video. Other than Wakey's noodlings there's nothing new here.

As for the visuals ... let's just say I kept waiting for the TARDIS to show up...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If you don't start the video, you won't know that it features not only Todd Rundgren, but also Rick Wakeman, and Tony Levin! That's practically a supergroup. And the cover is pretty good1
    The lineup for the whole album is pretty amazing.

Is this old or did they fly in some stuff from Edgar Froese and work around it? Like PF did on Endless River with Rick Wright's pieces.

Huh... going into that video I didn't expect much... But, I actually kind of like it. Levin's bass line is nice and Rick is Rick plus there's Todd. I'm just a little confused about the concept of a prog related tribute album without Billy Sherwood or Robert Berry being involved. Is this a first?

I would prefer a tribute album of terrible bar-bands doing covers. At least it would be funny once.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    I'm just a little confused about the concept of a prog related tribute album without Billy Sherwood
    Refreshing, ain't it?

I'm curious about Rik Emmett on WYWH. I assume he plays acoustic and sings it.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Is this old or did they fly in some stuff from Edgar Froese and work around it? Like PF did on Endless River with Rick Wright's pieces.
    It appears to be all recent recordings. Not sure how the Froese contribution will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    It appears to be all recent recordings. Not sure how the Froese contribution will work.
    Well if he appears on the album, he's better than Tupoc, since Edgar died OVER 6 years ago...

The album is up on YouTube if anyone wants to sample it:

My initial thoughts:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1-5 works really well. Steve Hackett and Mel Collins are the standouts here.
    Have A Cigar - Steve Stevens is all over this track. Moraz is credited but it could have been anyone - very underused.
    Wish You Were Here - very cool to hear Emmett singing this. Satriani does this thing very well, though not sure what Froese brought to the table here.
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond 6-9 - this might be the most different sounding, but Argent's keys and Hillage on guitar really work well here.

In a way, Floyd is easy to cover because it's easy to find technically better musicians and singers and make it sound good, but it's also a bit tricky because the original is so well balanced and thought out that it's easy to lose the balance.
    When I hear proggy tributes to Floyd, I can't help thinking, once again, that the "less is more" approach was a real strength of the original material. In spite of the great players and singers featured on this, I hear a lot of overplaying (like on the title track) and oversinging (like on Have A Cigar). I don't mind one instrument stretching out more than on the original at a given time, but when all players decide to add more notes and more expression, it may sound more proggy, but it sounds too busy to me.
    It's still a fine work and a nice tribute of course.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rafae...s____complete/

So it seems as though there are enough Floyd tribute albums to literally build a wall of them. The only ones I’ve heard that actually did something interesting in my view were the Us And Them symphonic album, A Saucerful of Pink with electronic and goth/industrial type bands doing the covers and that version of Dark Side of the Moon that the Flaming Lips did which sounds sorta how the record might have sounded if Syd Barrett had never left. None of the others I’ve sampled have been worth a damn and it seems like this one will be just another brick.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's a lot better than I thought.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rafae...s____complete/

So it seems as though there are enough Floyd tribute albums to literally build a wall of them. The only ones I’ve heard that actually did something interesting in my view were the Us And Them symphonic album, A Saucerful of Pink with electronic and goth/industrial type bands doing the covers and that version of Dark Side of the Moon that the Flaming Lips did which sounds sorta how the record might have sounded if Syd Barrett had never left. None of the others I’ve sampled have been worth a damn and it seems like this one will be just another brick.
    Don't forget A Cappella's version..
    voices.jpg

I just listened to the original LP for the first time in a few years. Although it's a nice, atmospheric recording, there's not a lot of substance to it. It's really only got 3 or 4 thematic ideas that are expanded by some nice improvisation by Gilmour and textured, ambient sounds from Wright. I remember when I got this as a kid and feeling that the music never fully got going. I guess my opinion hasn't changed much.

Floyd's Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite albums. It has aged better for me than most of the rest of their catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    1000% best advice
    That's mean, John.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Floyd's Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite albums. It has aged better for me than most of the rest of their catalogue.
    Same here. Especially because successive re-releases seem to improve the sound more and more. Personal highlight is the SACD-version with its 5.1 surround mix. Details become even clearer on that one, while the overall sound is so much symphonic than on the early CD-version of the original LP. I feel no need to listen to this one; the PF-release is too dear to me to be spoiled by a remake.

I think the tribute is some good music, but 95% of that is because it's sticking fairly closely to what was a great album to begin with. But there are a few places where the personalities of the new musicians pops through, Hackett on the first track, Wakeman on the second, jump to mind.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

A brand new concept video has been released for this one.

In the new conceptual video, from award-winning director Vicente Cordero of Industrialism Films, the main vocal character in the song, who of course utters the immortal line "...by the way, which one's Pink...", is performed by seasoned character actor Noel Jason Scott for Cordero’s video, as a stylish Mephistopheles who casually tempts a young, naive musician into a malevolent Faustian bargain that grants him all the riches and rewards of rock superstardom before exacting a treacherous toll.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One thing about this tribute album I can say without even listening to it: the title is stupid.

It's on Spotify now...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A brand new concept video has been released for this one.

In the new conceptual video, from award-winning director Vicente Cordero of Industrialism Films, the main vocal character in the song, who of course utters the immortal line "...by the way, which one's Pink...", is performed by seasoned character actor Noel Jason Scott for Cordero’s video, as a stylish Mephistopheles who casually tempts a young, naive musician into a malevolent Faustian bargain that grants him all the riches and rewards of rock superstardom before exacting a treacherous toll.

Anyone know who the actress is in this? I have seen her in something recently, but can't place my finger on who she is.