Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Wish You Were Here tribute album

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,649

    Wish You Were Here tribute album

    Another all-star tribute album from Cleopatra Records - surprisingly no Billy Sherwood on this one. Street date of May 28th.





    TRACK LISTING
    1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) feat. Geoff Tate, Steve Hackett, Billy Sheehan, Mel Collins, Geoff Downes, Ian Paice
    2. Welcome To The Machine feat. Todd Rundgren, Rick Wakeman, Tony Levin
    3. Have A Cigar feat. James LaBrie, Steve Stevens, Patrick Moraz, Rat Scabies, Jah Wobble
    4. Wish You Were Here feat. Rik Emmett, Joe Satriani, Edgar Froese, David Ellefson, Carmine Appice
    5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9) feat. Rod Argent, Steve Hillage, Ian Paice, Bootsy Collins


  2. #2
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    3,858
    A tribute album on Cleopatra Records, you don't say.

  3. #3
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,357
    If you don't start the video, you won't know that it features not only Todd Rundgren, but also Rick Wakeman, and Tony Levin! That's practically a supergroup. And the cover is pretty good1
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    don't start the video
    1000% best advice
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  5. #5
    I did start the video. Other than Wakey's noodlings there's nothing new here.

    As for the visuals ... let's just say I kept waiting for the TARDIS to show up...
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If you don't start the video, you won't know that it features not only Todd Rundgren, but also Rick Wakeman, and Tony Levin! That's practically a supergroup. And the cover is pretty good1
    The lineup for the whole album is pretty amazing.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Right Coast
    Posts
    740
    Is this old or did they fly in some stuff from Edgar Froese and work around it? Like PF did on Endless River with Rick Wright's pieces.

  8. #8
    Member PixelDelirium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kendall Park, NJ
    Posts
    240
    Huh... going into that video I didn't expect much... But, I actually kind of like it. Levin's bass line is nice and Rick is Rick plus there's Todd. I'm just a little confused about the concept of a prog related tribute album without Billy Sherwood or Robert Berry being involved. Is this a first?

  9. #9
    I would prefer a tribute album of terrible bar-bands doing covers. At least it would be funny once.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  10. #10
    NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    I'm just a little confused about the concept of a prog related tribute album without Billy Sherwood
    Refreshing, ain't it?

    I'm curious about Rik Emmett on WYWH. I assume he plays acoustic and sings it.
    Chad

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Is this old or did they fly in some stuff from Edgar Froese and work around it? Like PF did on Endless River with Rick Wright's pieces.
    It appears to be all recent recordings. Not sure how the Froese contribution will work.

  12. #12
    Member Mythos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wolf City
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    It appears to be all recent recordings. Not sure how the Froese contribution will work.
    Well if he appears on the album, he's better than Tupoc, since Edgar died OVER 6 years ago...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,649
    The album is up on YouTube if anyone wants to sample it:



    My initial thoughts:

    Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1-5 works really well. Steve Hackett and Mel Collins are the standouts here.
    Have A Cigar - Steve Stevens is all over this track. Moraz is credited but it could have been anyone - very underused.
    Wish You Were Here - very cool to hear Emmett singing this. Satriani does this thing very well, though not sure what Froese brought to the table here.
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond 6-9 - this might be the most different sounding, but Argent's keys and Hillage on guitar really work well here.

  14. #14
    In a way, Floyd is easy to cover because it's easy to find technically better musicians and singers and make it sound good, but it's also a bit tricky because the original is so well balanced and thought out that it's easy to lose the balance.
    When I hear proggy tributes to Floyd, I can't help thinking, once again, that the "less is more" approach was a real strength of the original material. In spite of the great players and singers featured on this, I hear a lot of overplaying (like on the title track) and oversinging (like on Have A Cigar). I don't mind one instrument stretching out more than on the original at a given time, but when all players decide to add more notes and more expression, it may sound more proggy, but it sounds too busy to me.
    It's still a fine work and a nice tribute of course.

  15. #15
    Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    572
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rafae...s____complete/

    So it seems as though there are enough Floyd tribute albums to literally build a wall of them. The only ones I’ve heard that actually did something interesting in my view were the Us And Them symphonic album, A Saucerful of Pink with electronic and goth/industrial type bands doing the covers and that version of Dark Side of the Moon that the Flaming Lips did which sounds sorta how the record might have sounded if Syd Barrett had never left. None of the others I’ve sampled have been worth a damn and it seems like this one will be just another brick.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

  16. #16
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,882
    It's a lot better than I thought.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rafae...s____complete/

    So it seems as though there are enough Floyd tribute albums to literally build a wall of them. The only ones I’ve heard that actually did something interesting in my view were the Us And Them symphonic album, A Saucerful of Pink with electronic and goth/industrial type bands doing the covers and that version of Dark Side of the Moon that the Flaming Lips did which sounds sorta how the record might have sounded if Syd Barrett had never left. None of the others I’ve sampled have been worth a damn and it seems like this one will be just another brick.
    Don't forget A Cappella's version..
    voices.jpg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •