Thread: R.I.P. Rusty Young

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

R.I.P. Rusty Young

Rusty Young of Poco died yesterday of a heart attack. He was 75. Rest in peace, Rusty, and thanks for all the wonderful music.

Sorry to hear. I saw Poco once, supporting Yes in 1973.

Got to see Poco several times...what a great band. One time at a small club. I sat and talked with Rusty at the bar after the show. What a great guy!!!

Thanks for feeding your pedal steel guitar through a Leslie speaker cabinet...what great sounds you got!!! I just played "Poco - Nobody's Fool / El Tonto de Nadie, Regresa" in his memory.

https://www.google.com/search?q=poco...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you've never heard that tune (all 18+ minutes of it) you've missed out on a some amazing playing.

R.I.P. Rusty
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

I saw them in their heyday opening for ????, I can't remember, my mind can't clear the fog I believe it was at the old Long Beach Arena in California. I had their first album prior to this performance. I was a big fan of Buffalo Springfield, and this off-shoot of course featured Springfield alumni Ritchie Furry and Jim Messina. IMO some of the best Country Rock of the early 1970's. And I remember Rusty Young's impressive playing. Some people thought he was Neil Young's brother back in the day. RIP Rusty.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Shit. I saw Rusty numerous times. Great guy. Walked in and he was sitting in my seat at the theater talking to several people. He was a personal guy. Had tickets to see him later this year. RIP Rusty. Thanks for all the great music.

Nice Facebook posting from Jim Messina:

I was working in the garage yesterday preparing to make a door for my wife’s chicken coop when she came in and gave me the news. It just didn’t seem possible for I had just spoke with Rusty a couple weeks earlier about doing some Poco dates and getting together after he returned from a well needed getaway vacation.
    I’m still in shock about it all and really don’t know what to say. But what I can say is that I’m grateful for the time we’ve spent together especially starting back in 2013 when we decided to start doing some shows together.
    Our initial run of dates those that we performed in Arroyo grande at the Clarke Center and in Ojai at the Libby Bowl (as well as the Theaterfest in Solvang in 2014) were the engagements that inspired me to encourage Rusty to record with me on my next “Live” album with Rusty as a featured artist, in an effort to help him branch out and begin a solo career for himself aside from Poco. Something as an artist I felt he really needed to do.
    In 2015 we recorded two shows together. One at the Lobero in Santa Barbara and the other at the at the Clark Center in Arroyo Grande. Those were the two recorded shows that gave birth to “In The Groove “ with featured guest Rusty Young. It was at the Clark Center that Rusty told me later, someone in the audience, the owner of Elan Records, approached him about signing him as a solo artist to make his first solo album. I was so excited for him. That moment was exactly what I had hoped would happen for Rusty.
    The recording of Jim Messina “In The Groove” featuring Rusty Young inspired a number of Jim Messina and Poco co- billed engagements from 2016 to 2020, wherein Rusty and I cultivated a brand new musical relationship separate and aside from our former years in Poco.
    Rusty and I had a chance over the last six years to look back on those years and relish in the wonderful things we did together as well as understand some of the miss guiding’s that lead to misunderstandings and to clarify what was really true.
    Those conversations together with spending time with him and his children here in Tennessee and Missouri allowed me to gain a greater understanding of Rusty personally and what we were able achieve together in life and to finally have a real friendship together.
    He was a real musical Pard to saddle up with and hit the trail. I am so lucky to have had these last few precious years together and to have a few recorded memories out there by friends and fans to watch now and then to remember how great Rusty was. Rest in Peace, My friend.

And Richie Furay checking in:

... It's been a tough day; my friend Rusty Young passed away and we are heartbroken. Our friendship was 50 plus years; together we helped create what became known as the Southern California "Country Rock" sound - believe me, we had a lot of fun and then some. Nancy and I are praying for Rusty's wife Mary and his children Sara and Will. ...

RIP, I enjoyed Poco back in the day, and still can listen to them when I'm in the mood. There were a good band.

Fly on Rusty! I saw Poco after Messina had left at Carnegie Hall. Everyone was on their feet from the opening note and balloons
    were batted around the hall. I was in an all original band called Windstorm and we opened for Poco in the mid 80s. RIP.

RIP, very talented guy on pedal steel, and vocally as well. The original Poco was a little before my time but I thought 1990's "Call it Love" was a great pop hit single with Rusty on lead vocal. Great to see some talented veterans still able to score hits in the Richard Marx/George Michael era of MTV.

Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Rusty Young put out an album titled "Neil Never Sleeps"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Sorry to hear. I saw Poco once, supporting Yes in 1973.
    I was just watching a few recent clips of Rusty Young live in his memory and he mentions this tour in one of them. He said this was his favorite concert review ever:

POCO? YES!
    YES? NO!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    RIP, very talented guy on pedal steel, and vocally as well. The original Poco was a little before my time but I thought 1990's "Call it Love" was a great pop hit single with Rusty on lead vocal. Great to see some talented veterans still able to score hits in the Richard Marx/George Michael era of MTV.
    "Call it Love" was a great song! That was their "reunion" album where the original five Poco members got back together again. They had another hit off of that album with Randy Meisner singing. And funny you would bring up Richard Marx. Marx was responsible for getting the five originals back together again and agreed to write and produce a song for the album which helped get them their record deal at the time.

Great Steel pedal guitarist. Saw them in November of 72 at the Tower Theater outside Philly and May 73 when they opened for Foghat who was second billed for Johnny Winter.

Rest in peace...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Maybe I'm confused, but didn't Rusty Young put out an album titled "Neil Never Sleeps"?

So sad, another one from an era I truly loved and miss.
    All these bands and musicians were cut from the same country folk rock cloth. Poco, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Neil, etc
    It's funny, I'm on a Neil Young kick recently, and in fact I have a copy of Rust Never Sleeps DVD tour concert coming in the mail today.
    And to listen to the Neil Young video by Rusty was quite timely, and I loved it.

May your wonderful voice and writing continue to vibrate in the universe Rusty.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA