Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My top five of prog-rock albums

My top five of prog-rock albums

Here is my list of the five greatest progressive rock albums in the entire long history of the genre. The selection is as subjective as possible, but I justify each example!

1. Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
    If someone has never been exposed to progressive rock, this album will shock them. An eldorado of melodies, a pit of harmonies, a kaleidoscope of moods... Dozens of musical stories told by each instrument separately and all within the solid framework of an all-time concept album. A masterpiece.

2. King Crimson "In the Wake of Poseidon
    King Crimson's second album is a testament to the genius of Robert Fripp, who opened the gates of prog-rock heaven on their first album. The album features the classics: "Cadence and Cascade," "Cat Food," and "In the Wake of Poseidon," which are still models to be drawn from and emulated today.

3 Yes "Close To The Edge"
    By 1972, Yes already had 5 albums (!) to their credit, but this is the album that is rightly considered the pinnacle emanation of the band's progressive spirit. The gentlemen are at the peak of their compositional form and you can hear that there are no more compromises with commerciality here. Anyway, they don't have to limit themselves with anything, because they play like inspired, the sky is the limit!

4. Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick"
    "Mad" flutist Ian Anderson is one of the most colorful birds ever to make the British scene. Jethro Tull created their own style, their own aesthetic, and their own sound that was impossible to copy. Many wonderful albums are to their credit, but this concept album is the crown jewel and the first truly prog-rock album of their career. 1972 was a great time in music.

5. Emerson Lake & Palmer "The Best Of"
    For some, the most beloved prog band, for others, soulless, classicist technicians. For us, the authors of some timeless interpretations and compositions. Although it is difficult to consider any of their studio albums as a masterpiece, the album "The Best of" (so rare in discographies of such bands) contains many brilliant pieces and as a whole, it is a great listen.

Welcome to the hornets' nest otherwise known as PE . Your first post is a brave one, and very well argued. Now hold on tight for the reaction!
    Last edited by Munster; 04-15-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Horned View Post
    For some, the most beloved prog band, for others, soulless, classicist technicians. For us, the authors of some timeless interpretations and compositions. Although it is difficult to consider any of their studio albums as a masterpiece, the album "The Best of" (so rare in discographies of such bands) contains many brilliant pieces and as a whole, it is a great listen.
    Can't say I agree with this. I think BSS is an uber masterpiece of Prog Rock. You can quibble with Benny the Bouncer, I suppose, but I think there are equivalent duff moments on Lamb, TAAB, and Wake of Poseidon - maybe more. The other tracks on BSS delve into areas few Prog bands could touch, especially Toccata and KE Second Impression. Three of the tracks on Best Of are from this very album, albeit a couple of the lesser ones in terms of really "Prog" composition.

Whatever, it's your subjective list, and for the most part I have no issue with it - though Wake of Poseidon wouldn't rate so highly on my list of KC albums either. I'd recommend you spend a little more time with BSS, though, which I think is every bit as seminal as CTTE or TAAB, and even better in some ways. But then, that's just my subjective opinion.

Bill

For a list that covers 'the entire long history of the genre.' the timeframe in which your selection is released is extremely narrow (1970-1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    . You first post
    Really now?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    For a list that covers 'the entire long history of the genre.' the timeframe in which your selection is released is extremely narrow (1970-1973)
    Well stated.

Beyond that astute observation, the artists that were chosen are typically near or at the top of most Prog lovers lists and they are hard to argue with when it comes to legendary status. However, and this is a big however, the album chosen from each artist is, IMHO, not their zenith when it comes to the "greatest" Prog releases. If the OP had listed "Selling England", "Larks Tongue", "Passion Play" and "Brain Salad Surgery" for 1-2-4-5 respectively and left Yes off the Top 5 list - with PFM substituted (take your pick of their first few albums); then I would consider it a fairly solid offering for the Prog Top 5, the classic years (1970-1975).

The challenge that I have never been able to even attempt to tackle is developing a Top 5 list for the post classic years (1976 and beyond). It's too long a timeframe to cover with too many forks in the road of Prog evolution and development.

I got to give the OP extra credit though, for an audacious and precocious initial posting here on the brave new world of PE.

Unfortunately for the OP, the bell has sounded, his handlers are picking him up from the canvas, dragged back to his corner and made ready for the next round.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Give the guy a break. It's his first post. Unlike you guys, he may not comprehend the length, depth, and breadth of the prog pantheon.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Not bad for a first post either. Welcome!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Here is my list of the five greatest progressive rock albums in the entire long history of the genre. The selection is as subjective as possible, but I justify each example!

Good post and album choices. As Bill said, BSS is ELP's masterpiece. I don't disagree. Still, I often find myself reaching for the live "Welcome Back My Friends." But that's just me, and my choice is likely more than a little biased because I was at the concert they recorded for the album. Carry on with the thoughtful posts. Don't mind the hornets.

I think with it's American theme The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway felt more contrived that their more 'English' albums, which seemed more appropriate to them - I see their peak as Foxtrot and Selling England which showed off better their pastoralism for instance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I think with it's American theme The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway felt more contrived that their more 'English' albums, which seemed more appropriate to them - I see their peak as Foxtrot and Selling England which showed off better their pastoralism for instance.
    Yes, that is a good way to state the contrast between "Lamb" and the previous two classics. I have ambivalent feelings about "Lamb" despite the fact that I regard it as a very good to excellent album, overall. It's "choppy" and stutter step tone and feel makes me somewhat listless as I listen to various sections and I keep recalling fondly the unique English twee atmosphere of their first few albums. My favorite parts are the very beginning and the ending where the story moves in a natural flow, particularly the side four cuts, leading to a glorious outro climax with "Scree", "Rapid" and "It". It's almost like a battle between the lyricist and the instrumentalists and one can sense the tension that must have been transpiring during the recording sessions.

I look at this album as being far and away from their best effort.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I look at this album as being far and away their best effort.
    True

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    True
    You misquoted my post, obviously. So your description of "True" reflects your own view, not mine. My post stated that "I look at this album as being far and away from their best effort".

No problem, we just disagree. But for the record...

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

You misquoted my post, obviously. So your description of "True" reflects your own view, not mine. My post stated that "I look at this album as being far and away from their best effort".

No problem, we just disagree. But for the record...
    Yeah man, just taking the piss here, if that's ok with you.

As for the essence of things, the Lamb is still the one Genesis album that teases my imagination, that I haven't deciphered through countless listens like I already have done with the records that preceded it. So I hold that as its virtue, but I would be very cautious in saying it is my favourite Genesis album. To me it is a toss between Foxtrot, Selling and Lamb - but the last few years I can only play this last one for pleasure reasons.

1. Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
    If someone has never been exposed to progressive rock, this album will shock them. An eldorado of melodies, a pit of harmonies, a kaleidoscope of moods... Dozens of musical stories told by each instrument separately and all within the solid framework of an all-time concept album. A masterpiece.

2. King Crimson "In the Wake of Poseidon
    King Crimson's second album is a testament to the genius of Robert Fripp, who opened the gates of prog-rock heaven on their first album. The album features the classics: "Cadence and Cascade," "Cat Food," and "In the Wake of Poseidon," which are still models to be drawn from and emulated today.

3 Yes "Close To The Edge"
    By 1972, Yes already had 5 albums (!) to their credit, but this is the album that is rightly considered the pinnacle emanation of the band's progressive spirit. The gentlemen are at the peak of their compositional form and you can hear that there are no more compromises with commerciality here. Anyway, they don't have to limit themselves with anything, because they play like inspired, the sky is the limit!

4. Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick"
    "Mad" flutist Ian Anderson is one of the most colorful birds ever to make the British scene. Jethro Tull created their own style, their own aesthetic, and their own sound that was impossible to copy. Many wonderful albums are to their credit, but this concept album is the crown jewel and the first truly prog-rock album of their career. 1972 was a great time in music.

I like your list and the rationale for your choices !

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    At this point in my life I listen almost exclusively to modern prog. But if it came down to it and I were forced to leave earth with only five prog albums, I'm not sure any of them would be out of that time frame either.

Banned
    Yeah man, just taking the piss here, if that's ok with you.

As for the essence of things, the Lamb is still the one Genesis album that teases my imagination, that I haven't deciphered through countless listens like I already have done with the records that preceded it. So I hold that as its virtue, but I would be very cautious in saying it is my favourite Genesis album. To me it is a toss between Foxtrot, Selling and Lamb - but the last few years I can only play this last one for pleasure reasons.
    I concur that "Lamb" is the one Genesis album that continues to "tease" my listening experience even at this late stage of playing it. For the reasons you noted and my comments as well, it's almost the awed-man-out release of their catalogue (sorry for the bootleg title reference ). I think it's the way they played with sounds and mixed pop singles type of cuts ("Carpet", "Counting" and title cut) with deeper more experimental stuff ("Lamia", "Silent Sorrows'', "Colony"). It's so off the mark from what preceded it and what was to follow that causes me to have mixed (but good) feelings about it.

It will always remain a paradox in my view.

^Agreed. And its the one from the olde days that I can still pick up new details virtually on every spin - unlike the others. Foxtrot is probably still my overall fav album though.

It will always remain a paradox in my view.
    True - this time I don't even have to "fix" it.

True - this time I don't even have to "fix" it.
    So, no "pair of ducks" then?

I like a guy who charges in here and on his first post declares these are the greatest prog albums of all-time, which I take as actually meaning: "These are my all time fav's" and it is very politically correct list from a prog-mainstream point of view! Those all all worthy picks!

WELCOME and looking forward to more of your posts!

Myself I am what you might classify as a prog-prodigy. I was listening to Yes, Genesis, Eloy, Tull back when I was about 14 years old, at 15 I went to my first concert, not necessarily a prog band, but pretty close (the 1973 Hawkwind Space Ritual Tour) and within the next couple years saw Yes twice (Yessongs & Tales Tours). I was also super heavily into Krautrock (Amon Duul II, Can, Mythos, ART, Neu, etc.) at the same early age.

I liked how the OP picked pretty much all early prog stuff, however my top 5 would take a slightly different, course, one that I have now traveled for 50 years...

Genesis, Foxtrot: The song "Supper's Ready" captures every aspect of what prog was supposed to be and what it has morphed into, making it the GREATEST single prog song of all time! So it just makes sense that the album it was released on should be on my top 5..

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon: over-played? maybe, over-hyped? maybe, but overall might just be the most influential prog album of all time and hearing the remastered CD in my recently (extremely expensive) car stereo upgrade, has only reinforced my opinion...

Far East Family Band, Nipponjin - Join Our Mental Phase Sound: The Japanese PF, I know this album featured material from several previous releases, but overall it is so strong, so different, it still mesmerizes me to this day! It also helped that I saw them live back in 1977! Klaus Schulze was involved with them, giving this a Krautrock connection, while paving the way for my next two sections:

Amon Duul II, Wolf City: Less experimental and not as raw as their previously releases, nor as silly as their later releases. Wolf City is the perfect blend of Krautrock and Progressive rock, featuring a beautifully crafted, great instrumental song that is still in my regular play list rotation: "Wie der Wind Am Ende Einer Strasse"...

Can, Future Days: Also not as raw as their previously releases, nor as polished and commercial as their subsequent releases, Bel Air is their crowning masterpiece!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So, no "pair of ducks" then?
    Moe, is that new tribute to Wish You Were Here on the beautifully entitled Cleopatra Records one of your fave records? There's Rich Clayderman, prog arpeggio virtuoso.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM