Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Beatles Get Back 2021

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Well, Linda Eastman caught a lot of shit for encroaching on Wings music.

I think the annoyance is more everyone knowing these ladies are only there because they are sleeping with the boss.
    I certainly anticipated that reply, which is fair. And, yes, it's true. Linda did get some shit. But what kind of treatment did she get at the time they were both on the scene while the band was together? Nothing like what Yoko experienced.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I certainly anticipated that reply, which is fair. And, yes, it's true. Linda did get some shit. But what kind of treatment did she get at the time they were both on the scene while the band was together? Nothing like what Yoko experienced.
    Because Yoko was sitting with the four Beatles while they were writing music, while Linda was not.

See the discussion in the video Sean posted. Her presence was a vibe killer.

Because Yoko was sitting with the four Beatles while they were writing music, while Linda was not.

Yeah, I get all that. It's ancient history. But, I'm referring to the entire time she was with John while the band was still together. She endured tons of racism from day one. The others didn't for obvious reasons.

The fact that people didn't understand her art made it even worse. The way she was treated was despicable. And it wasn't just the fans. The media played a huge role in it, as well.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Even though I'm a die-hard fan, I bet you would still find it somewhat fascinating.
    TBH, I'm already feeling the fascination right from the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    My instinct is that Peter Jackson did a wonderful job in all departments, but maybe there's aspects in this project that could have been done better. I somehow doubt it, but again, I'm interested in an informed discussion on the subject.
    No doubts about it, IMHO (despite not having seen more than the trailer). PJ probably has tons of more lucrative offers than that Beatles job, so if he chose it, it's by pure passion. I'm not sure how much of a "Carte Blanche" he had with this project, but given his stature, all he has to do is asks for more credits should he have needed them. I'm a bit pissed off that this project is with Disney (which has nothing to do with Beatles, IMHO), but they're not known to be scrooges (despite the DVD bonuses incident, which is more of a marketing decision, than artistic).

I suspect that, if she was a pretty young white blonde pop artist, it might not have been that way.
    Well, Linda Eastman caught a lot of shit for encroaching on Wings music. I think the annoyance is more everyone knowing these ladies are only there because they are sleeping with the boss.
    One would have to see how Patty Boyd (George's choice) was accepted by the band's entourage - provided she chose to "hang around".
    Didn't Maca impose Linda as a retaliation to Yoko's presence, though?

Yeah, I get all that. It's ancient history. But, I'm referring to the entire time she was with John while the band was still together. She endured tons of racism from day one. The others didn't for obvious reasons.

The fact that people didn't understand her art made it even worse. The way she was treated was despicable. And it wasn't just the fans. The media played a huge role in it, as well.
    Well, I wouldn't call it racism ala white supremacist bullshit, but ordinary racism, because she was so different, language and cultural barriers et all.
    Not sure she experienced it from fans (at least not at that stage, while the Fab Four were still together), but from the media, I can easily "see it", since on an artistic scale, she was more up the ladder than a pop group (beit the Beatles) by the "high-arts ayatollahs" crowds, and so the mainstream medias could feel that she "stooped down" (in some amalgalm like the way Warhol did with The VU) to their godly quartet.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Finished watching it over the weekend, I still find it quite depressing- especially the Twickenham bits-
    I really don't know why, perhaps its from watching key people like George Martin hanging around aimlessly, the fact that until the last minute they had no clue what was the plan (just that it has to finish by the deadline), the fact that they surrounded themselves with opportunists like Magic Mike (read his wikipedia page- its a hoot) and Alan Klein, and above all Lindsay Hogg hovering above with his silly ideas- Lybia, the cruise etc.
    If once I thought that Yoko was the reason for the split now I know that it is the fact that they had no manager (at least not one that wants their benefit).
    Yoko is actually great, really great, to quote McCartney.

Haven't seen it, don't have Disney. But I'm interested in basically anything Beatle-related. Have seen Anthology many times and am probably due another watch, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    My instinct is that Peter Jackson did a wonderful job in all departments, but maybe there's aspects in this project that could have been done better. I somehow doubt it, but again, I'm interested in an informed discussion on the subject.
    I've seen criticism of the grain removal for a while. But FWIW, what I've seen from this didn't bother me as much as what was done to archive footage on that dud Ron Howard film (Eight Days A Week). That had lousy colourisation, overdubbing of different audio etc. That's surely what not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    But FWIW, what I've seen from this didn't bother me as much as what was done to archive footage on that dud Ron Howard film (Eight Days A Week). That had lousy colourisation, overdubbing of different audio etc. That's surely what not to do.
    Amen. It's unwatchable, IMNSHO.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    It's been a while since I first heard this but for those who've not heard it..

Some commentary about that tape with script in Description:
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I'm already feeling the fascination right from the trailer.

No doubts about it, IMHO (despite not having seen more than the trailer). PJ probably has tons of more lucrative offers than that Beatles job, so if he chose it, it's by pure passion. I'm not sure how much of a "Carte Blanche" he had with this project, but given his stature, all he has to do is asks for more credits should he have needed them. I'm a bit pissed off that this project is with Disney (which has nothing to do with Beatles, IMHO), but they're not known to be scrooges (despite the DVD bonuses incident, which is more of a marketing decision, than artistic).

One would have to see how Patty Boyd (George's choice) was accepted by the band's entourage - provided she chose to "hang around".
    Didn't Maca impose Linda as a retaliation to Yoko's presence, though?

Well, I wouldn't call it racism ala white supremacist bullshit, but ordinary racism, because she was so different, language and cultural barriers et all.
    Not sure she experienced it from fans (at least not at that stage, while the Fab Four were still together), but from the media, I can easily "see it", since on an artistic scale, she was more up the ladder than a pop group (beit the Beatles) by the "high-arts ayatollahs" crowds, and so the mainstream medias could feel that she "stooped down" (in some amalgalm like the way Warhol did with The VU) to their godly quartet.
    John Lennon marrying Yoko Ono was like Marilyn Monroe marrying Arthur Miller, in some people's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    John Lennon marrying Yoko Ono was like Marilyn Monroe marrying Arthur Miller, in some people's eyes.
    Beatles fans – and the world at large- know that Yoko Ono is Japanese, but the majority may not know her family’s background. A previous post on this blog, “Linda McCartney vs. Yoko Ono: Rivalry and Comparisons” mentioned the irony that while Yoko and Linda may have had a healthy rivalry, they were similar in so many ways: both came from wealthy families who lived in the posh NYC suburb of Scarsdale, NY; both attended Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY but both left to pursue their artistic interests prior to earning a degree; both came from wealthy families with a father who was a high-achiever and with a mother who hailed from “old money”. That blog post about Linda McCartney and Yoko Ono gave a glimpse into Yoko’s largely unknown world in Japan.

https://beatleshistorian.com/?p=436
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Finally saw the first two parts yesterday at a friend's place.

It was a revelation.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I agree but then thought, well although seeing her sitting there also kept John inspired (and happy) so maybe she saved the vibe. But for the previous decade there was no need to have anyone there.

I have watched Parts 1 & 2, as a fan I can observe many details of writing songs but sometimes those get lost in the stress and mental fatigue that was pretty evident.
    I would not re-watch it or buy the DVD, it sometimes becomes overindulging and over saturated with the same emptiness and despair they were living at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I would not re-watch it or buy the DVD, it sometimes becomes overindulging and over saturated with the same emptiness and despair they were living at the time.
    My sentiments exactly, that's why I don't understand what is the selling point for the blu-ray if it won't have any bonuses....