Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the HEAVY side of things.

On the HEAVY side of things.

Judging from the interest a music from the likes of Elder generates here at PE, perhaps of interest will be also the two entries below. These are the most recent albums from Samsara Blues Experiment and Big Scenic Nowhere. Both are heavy but with progressive touches. Hope you enjoy both as much as I do.

"Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

No takers on these yet?

Listen to the track 5 (Hidden Wall) from the Big Scenic Nowhere.

No prog, but may be of interest to some people here based on the interest in the band. More information in the link below, with one track from it.

"On May 28th, Cirith Ungol will release their new EP, “Half Past Human”, via Metal Blade Records. For a first preview, the new single, “Brutish Manchild”, can be heard below."

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/ne...lf-past-human/

Other than prog rock, Germany seems to be a really fertile breeding ground for the bands on the "HEAVY side of things". If I recall correctly the album by Samsara Blues Experiment - End of Forever (that you can listen to above) was their Swang Song, but nothing to worry there, as the "torch of haeavy" is picked up by others. My latest discovery from there is the band Elara Sunstreak Band. This band consistently moves from simpler and shorter tracks to more complex and longer compositions. So far they have released 3 titles and the last one follows this trend. There is no substitute to a listening experience so below are direct links to the bandcamp websites (band's - 1st and 3rd title, and label's - 2nd) with all of their albums. Happy hunting, enjoy.

A surprising entry from German band Kadavar that until this album has been into fairly strightforward hard rock / stoner formula. For the new album - The Isolation Tapes, for better or worse depending what you prefer, they have changed their formula into more complex and spacey music, more into progressive music realms. If you are to get the album on a CD, there is a 2CD version of it, that also includes Studio Live Session Vol. I. These can be also listened to on their bandcamp website, with the link below. Enjoy.

https://kadavarberlin.bandcamp.com/music

No takers on these yet?
    Post 'em in here for maximum exposure

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...g-Metal-Thread
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Post 'em in here for maximum exposure

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...g-Metal-Thread

Thank you for the suggestion, although, these bands in my previous posts (with the exception of Cirith Ungol) do have inclinations for more complex, progressive direction. It would be hard for me to throw them into the bag of "the everything metal". This would be doing injustice to their music. I know these are just labels and yes, I am an old timer ... so everything metal means for me shredding guitars etc. and basically 80's and later, perhaps with exception there for the "stoner" moniker (that btw, has its own thread), that is fairly recent and harking back to beginning of 70's hard rock bands... at least, right or wrong, this is my perception of it.

I was beginning to wonder whether or not our dear friend Svetonio was back amongst us...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I was beginning to wonder whether or not our dear friend Svetonio was back amongst us...
    He's been here for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And you have to consent, Moe, that his ongoing project of writing these (somewhat often bizarre) monologues of "overall presentations of whatever topic in question" until now have appeared rather harmless in form and content - and obviously "within the spectrum" [hee-hee!] of things. That he should suddenly burst out of his confined restrictions into some parade of ill-wishing seems almost all too inevitable, but all the same...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I thought Monet was Svetie. Is it possible he has a twin?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And you have to consent, Moe, that his ongoing project of writing these (somewhat often bizarre) monologues of "overall presentations of whatever topic in question" until now have appeared rather harmless in form and content - and obviously "within the spectrum" [hee-hee!] of things. That he should suddenly burst out of his confined restrictions into some parade of ill-wishing seems almost all too inevitable, but all the same...
    He must have a folder of prefab reviews, and he breaks one out whenever the pertinent album comes up for discussion. Harmless, as you say. I hope he doesn't flake out, but Wallace could never help himself, so...who knows? I believe in 2nd chances, so it'd be nice to see one succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I thought Monet was Svetie.
    He is.

I hope he doesn't flake out, but Wallace could never help himself, so...who knows?
    Yeah, but Svet is not a pwog masterman.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I believe in 2nd chances, so it'd be nice to see one succeed.
    Me too, but this has to be at least the 5th or 6th one.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Who the hell is Svetonio?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Be sure you have here mistaken identity. It took me awhile to figure it out that you all refer, I guess, to my posts. Not sure I should take it as compliment or not, but thanks for "harmless" anyway
    Hope you liked my "heavy side" choices ... as I will continue my "monologue", hopefully someone will catch on with these, as they deserve it even in prog circles.
    Last edited by PCMusic; 09-24-2021 at 12:44 AM.

^ I never took you for Svetty. At a minimum, you're American and he's Eastern European.

^ I never took you for Svetty. At a minimum, you're American and he's Eastern European.
    At the minimum, yes
    "Svetty" must have been here way before me and I assume was kind of a naughty guy. But I guess it is altogether a different side of a "heavy" topic.

Banned
    Bijelo Dugme "Playing The Part" 1975

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Be sure you have here mistaken identity. It took me awhile to figure it out that you all refer, I guess, to my posts. Not sure I should take it as compliment or not, but thanks for "harmless" anyway
    Hope you liked my "heavy side" choices ... as I will continue my "monologue", hopefully someone will catch on with these, as they deserve it even in prog circles.
    I don't think he was talking about you. If it's any comfort.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Banned
    Smak "Black Lady" 1978

Banned
    Kansas "Child of Innocence" 1975

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    A surprising entry from German band Kadavar
    Sadly they're on a constant downhill for a long time now...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Sadly they're on a constant downhill for a long time now...

If you look at them from the "heavy" side then I totally agree. In this regard their first two albums Kadavar and Abra Kadavar are still the best. The following ones are a mixed bag with the later For The Dead Travel Fast being worst. But The Isolation Tapes is interesting from the prog side.