Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the HEAVY side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Me too, but this has to be at least the 5th or 6th one.
    I think some of Svet's previous returns were banned reflexively. But I'm fine with the mods giving him a break. His latest persona makes well-informed contributions and plays well with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Bijelo Dugme "Playing The Part" 1975
    [...]
    Yeah, love Bjelo Dugme's early albums especially the first two Kad Bi' Bio Bijelo Dugme and Šta Bi Dao Da Si Na Mom Mjestu. Wish I could understand the words, although, not sure it would help there
    The video's picture shows the box released some time ago. Have not invested in it as I already had most of their albums. Have I been missing something from there?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Yeah, love Bjelo Dugme's early albums especially the first two Kad Bi' Bio Bijelo Dugme and Šta Bi Dao Da Si Na Mom Mjestu. Wish I could understand the words, although, not sure it would help there
    The video's picture shows the box released some time ago. Have not invested in it as I already had most of their albums. Have I been missing something from there?
    For example the English version of Šta bi dao da si na mom mjestu the song ("Playing the Part"), of which I think that is excellent, was for the first time officially released on the box-set. Actually, that English version was recorded in 1975 in AIR Studios in London, during Šta bi dao da si na mom mjestu the album recording sessions, but it appears for the first time as a B-side of an unofficial promo-single and hence just a hundred of copies were printed only due to a press party on the occasion of the release of their album from 1981, when they had already changed their style to the sound of the eighties. Also, the box-set offers a completely remastered (at Abbey Road studio in London) material and sounds much better. Thus, if you really like Bijelo Dugme, the box-set is worth every penny.

p.s. Apologies for the late reply, I hadn't seen your post until now.
    Last edited by Monet; 10-03-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Banned
    Birth Control "Trial Trip" 1975

Banned
    Opus "Memento mori" & "Dolina bisera" 1975

For example the English version of Šta bi dao da si na mom mjestu the song ("Playing the Part"), of which I think that is excellent, was for the first time officially released on the box-set. Actually, that English version was recorded in 1975 in AIR Studios in London, during Šta bi dao da si na mom mjestu the album recording sessions, but it appears for the first time as a B-side of an unofficial promo-single and hence just a hundred of copies were printed only due to a press party on the occasion of the release of their album from 1981, when they had already changed their style to the sound of the eighties. Also, the box-set offers a completely remastered (at Abbey Road studio in London) material and sounds much better. Thus, if you really like Bijelo Dugme, the box-set is worth every penny.

p.s. Apologies for the late reply, I hadn't seen your post until now.
    Thank you for the insights into the box. Wish now have not hesitated when I had a chance to buy it ... as I tried not to buy on an impulse. Wonder if it is still available somewhere, have some doubts but will look it up. For improved sound alone it would be worth it.

And no apologies are necessary, seems you are a "busy beaver" as it is with all the other posts for different threads. Btw, appreciate these even if they give me a headache just trying to catch up with you (the music samples) there

Thank you for the insights into the box. Wish now have not hesitated when I had a chance to buy it ... as I tried not to buy on an impulse. Wonder if it is still available somewhere, have some doubts but will look it up. For improved sound alone it would be worth it.

And no apologies are necessary, seems you are a "busy beaver" as it is with all the other posts for different threads. Btw, appreciate these even if they give me a headache just trying to catch up with you (the music samples) there
    Already ordered it. Probably overpaid quite a bit for it but after watching on YT opening of Bjelo Dugme's box just couldn't not treat myself to it. The only bad thing about the box, it seems to have no English at all other the "Box Set Deluxe" ... oh well, nothing is perfect.

Banned
    Already ordered it. Probably overpaid quite a bit for it but after watching on YT opening of Bjelo Dugme's box just couldn't not treat myself to it. The only bad thing about the box, it seems to have no English at all other the "Box Set Deluxe" ... oh well, nothing is perfect.
    I hope you won't be disappointed.
    Here's another proggy hard-rock gem from the same box-set:

Bijelo Dugme "Bitanga i princeza" 1979

translate:

A Villain and a Princess

Crazy night!
    I'm a guy with a bad reputation
    in this city
    And who are you?

And she says:
    I used to be mummy’s princess
    up until now
    And what came over me
    They're looking for you, it’s midnight already
    They're looking for you, what will daddy say
    No no no
    a villain and a princess as a couple
    that doesn’t work
    The day is dawning
    I'm a guy with bad reputation
    in this city
    You got to go
    So what if it's daylight
    I'd like to stay with you a bit longer
    you're really nice
    and it's still night
    But they're looking for you, it's morning already
    But they're looking for you, what will daddy say
    No no no
    a villain and a princess as a couple
    that doesn't work
    I told her I was fed up with
    princesses
    and all other deceited women
    and with her as well
    I told her I'd leave
    from this silly city
    and to let me sleep
    Last edited by Monet; 10-04-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Banned
    Grupa 220 "Slike" 1975

I hope you won't be disappointed.
    Here's another proggy hard-rock gem from the same box-set:

Bijelo Dugme "Bitanga i princeza" 1979
    [...]
    Thanks again and no, don't think I will be disappointed there. It is a beautifully done release.
    Do not really think of Bjelo Dugme in prog terms, but they are certainly HEAVY - especially the early albums.
    Thank you for the translation of the track ... it fits pretty much to my not too high expectations, but certainly tells a story there

Banned
    Thank you for the translation of the track ... it fits pretty much to my not too high expectations, but certainly tells a story there
    You're welcome.

Grupa 220 "Slike" 1975
    Drago Mlinarec's band. He had also some very good solo albums in the first part of the 70s.

Nice recommendation here.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    ExCubus existed from 1970 to 1974, but the band was still called Incubus. This progressive rock quartette from Québec was well known in the French-speaking part of Canada in the first half of the 1970s, but never released an album. In January 1974 the band recorded material for their debut (even in France at the Strawberry studio in Hérouville), but the band broke up before any of it could be released (or they broke up because none of it could be released ).

In September 2007, most of the musicians involved in the 1974 events and a new guitarist returned to a studio to complete what had been started. Incubus' debut album was released in 2008 on the ProgQuébec label, consisting of four tracks that were recorded in France in 1974 and four tracks from the band's 70s repertoire that were newly recorded in 2007. However, since there was now a well-known British formation of the same name, it was decided to use the new name ExCubus. The title of the CD - "Mémoires incubussiennes" - refers directly to the old band name.

ExCubus "Abomination d'une Quarte de Triton", 2008

ExCubus existed from 1970 to 1974, but the band was still called Incubus. This progressive rock quartette from Québec was well known in the French-speaking part of Canada in the first half of the 1970s, but never released an album. In January 1974 the band recorded material for their debut (even in France at the Strawberry studio in Hérouville), but the band broke up before any of it could be released (or they broke up because none of it could be released ).

In September 2007, most of the musicians involved in the 1974 events and a new guitarist returned to a studio to complete what had been started. Incubus' debut album was released in 2008 on the ProgQuébec label, consisting of four tracks that were recorded in France in 1974 and four tracks from the band's 70s repertoire that were newly recorded in 2007. However, since there was now a well-known British formation of the same name, it was decided to use the new name ExCubus. The title of the CD - "Mémoires incubussiennes" - refers directly to the old band name.

ExCubus "Abomination d'une Quarte de Triton", 2008

Oh man, never heard of them. Like it a lot, great music. Thanks for this entry

Korean trio Magma. The guitar tone this guy gets is just insane!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    Vultress - Tether

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Korean trio Magma. The guitar tone this guy gets is just insane!

???

It is hard to believe but Eric Wagner (being 62 young) passed away on Sunday, August 22 from COVID-19's induced pneumonia. The HEAVY certainly lost one of the most characteristic and great voices in the genre. He will be sorely missed, I will sorely miss him ... Although he was known mostly from his band Trouble, I was looking forward to the new music from his "new" (with other members from Trouble) band The Skull ... not coincidentally the title of Trouble's 2nd album. Still remember when Trouble's debut album (on vinyl) was released. It was so refreshing to hear actually a band playing very heavy music with a positive spin and with no lack of great riffs and melodies ... and then, from all the places, Chicago
    Rest in peace Eric and thank you for all the great music ...

There is a nice biographical tribute to him in Monster Riff with some music clips:
    https://monsterriff.com/2021/08/26/b...o-eric-wagner/

Then below is the link to You Tube clip (seems it is restricted to be played only on YT), with the title track Psalm 9 from Trouble's debut album and I guess from (or around) the time album was released:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-sj2RINqF4

The Psalm 9 may be still my favorite Trouble album, but all of them are great and worth exploring. Below is the bandcamp website for Psalm 9 and three other early albums by Trouble, incidentally all four just got remastered and released (official release date Oct 8th, 2021):

https://troubleofficial.bandcamp.com/music

It is hard to believe but Eric Wagner (being 62 young) passed away on Sunday, August 22 from COVID-19's induced pneumonia. The HEAVY certainly lost one of the most characteristic and great voices in the genre. He will be sorely missed, I will sorely miss him ... Although he was known mostly from his band Trouble, I was looking forward to the new music from his "new" (with other members from Trouble) band The Skull ... not coincidentally the title of Trouble's 2nd album. Still remember when Trouble's debut album (on vinyl) was released. It was so refreshing to hear actually a band playing very heavy music with a positive spin and with no lack of great riffs and melodies ... and then, from all the places, Chicago
    Rest in peace Eric and thank you for all the great music ...

There is a nice biographical tribute to him in Monster Riff with some music clips:
    https://monsterriff.com/2021/08/26/b...o-eric-wagner/

Then below is the link to You Tube clip (seems it is restricted to be played only on YT), with the title track Psalm 9 from Trouble's debut album and I guess from (or around) the time album was released:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-sj2RINqF4

The Psalm 9 may be still my favorite Trouble album, but all of them are great and worth exploring. Below is the bandcamp website for Psalm 9 and three other early albums by Trouble, incidentally all four just got remastered and released (official release date Oct 8th, 2021):

https://troubleofficial.bandcamp.com/music

I bought psalm 9 when it came out.If i'm not mistaken it was on white vinyl.

Love the bass playing on the Samsara stuff. Some pretty nice slow builds too with advancing synth layers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    Not sure if they were playing with vinyl colors at that time (1984)? Ooops, they did already have vinyls of different colors then. I may still have the vinyl of Rush's - Hemispheres, that was red and I bought in the early 80's. I could possibly check what color is my copy, still should have it, although, it could have been released in both, black and white too ...

Btw, some tried to put a label on Trouble as "white rock" band to which they objected. The biographical tribute to Eric (previously listed link) I think mentions this.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    Wow, you are not mistaken. Good memory

Didn't have a recollection of it but just checked it in my collection. Indeed the vinyl for the debut is white and includes the insert with lyrics. Still in pristine condition protected in vinyl sleeve. Probably haven't played it for 35 some years, ever since I got it on CD. Need to set up my vinyl system and dust it off, about time.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Love the bass playing on the Samsara stuff. Some pretty nice slow builds too with advancing synth layers etc.
    All of their albums are worth to be explored. They can be listened to and digital versions bought on their bandcamp website (link below):

https://samsarabluesexperiment.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Oh yeah, really good band. Have known Witchwood ever since they released their debut album, the clip comes from. Uncanny combination of Uriah Heep and Jethro Tull sound pulled me instantly in. Still have to listen to their last (3rd) album Before the Winter.