Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Majorly pissed at LaserCD

Majorly pissed at LaserCD

Has it happened to you?

Had the order with Laser CD, paid for and waiting for its realization. The order included a pre-order item. As it goes lately with releases the pre-ordered item got delayed by 2 weeks or so, and I thought O.K. will just wait a bit longer. Now, with the pre-order out and when I have expected the full order to arrive, I have received an e-mail from them about the shipment without 2 items and with the refund pending. As it happens, the two missing items were the ones I was waiting for the most.
    All items (including pre-order) were paid for at the time of the order and (other than pre-order) in stock, so I think I was right in believing they will be put aside and wait for the pre-order release. Seems I was wrong. Now the missing items are not easily available any more or, if they are, at much higher prices mostly from private resellers. It seems that because of the order with Laser CD and long wait, missed the boat with other sellers that had these titles available at comparable prices, or even cheaper.

Goes without saying I am majorly pissed, especially after the long wait. I know LaserCD has the warning about not splitting the order and shipping only when pre-orders arrive, but to delete items (in stock at the time of the order) from the paid order is something else ... Ken, do you think this is right? Perhaps you should have the warning on your website, that having the pre-order in your cart puts you at the risk of not getting any of the other titles in stock at the time of the order, even if already they are paid for?!

Do you think this is right? Has it happened to you?

I am sure I will get over it with time, but will certainly think twice before including a pre-order item in the cart ... hopefully Laser CD will make amendments, so something like this does not happen.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Not sure why you're posting this here, seems like something you should take up directly with the seller. I'm a long time customer of LE so no problems here. I don't do pre-orders but I know they always clearly say that pre-orders are separate and should not be combined with regular orders, so you probably should have done two separate orders.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Not sure why you're posting this here, seems like something you should take up directly with the seller. I'm a long time customer of LE so no problems here. I don't do pre-orders but I know they always clearly say that pre-orders are separate and should not be combined with regular orders, so you probably should have done two separate orders.
    Yeah, as I wrote, I was majorly "xxxx". The hope was it will work better this way here, get more attention. I am a long customer of Laser CD as well and hoping still to be a one for time to come.
    Obviously, if you make two orders you will pay twice for the shipment, but perhaps that was the way to do it to avoid later the disappointment.

I think that only once I had a small issue on an order. Other than that buying from LaserCD is a smooth process. But I have never done a pre-order.

The warning on the LaserCD site of combining a regular order with a pre-order is stuck in my mind. It has actually helped me avoid issues on other sites. So that's something else I appreciate from Ken.

You have my sympathy PC music. Hopefully Ken will pop up and clear the issue.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Obviously, if you make two orders you will pay twice for the shipment, but perhaps that was the way to do it to avoid later the disappointment.
    I think LE should just add the words "to avoid later disappointment" to their warning in order to make the system fool-proof.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

I order from LaserCD all the time and have never had a problem (including many pre-orders). They are *very clear* about combining other orders with pre-orders so I'd definitely say if you do so it's at your own risk. The automation on the site seems to be pretty minimal and I suspect the order fulfillment is mostly manual. I very much doubt they have the ability to set aside other items from pre-orders to ship along with them once they are released. My guess would be whatever else you ordered went out of stock before the pre-order was available and their only option was to give you a refund. They can't send you want they don't have.

In short, only order one pre-order at a time and never include anything else with a pre-order.

(Edit: But, I do agree they should probably enforce this at checkout, if possible. Even items that are scheduled for release on the same date could end up not being released simultaneously in the end.)

I always love anonymous posts like this. Very classy.

Honestly I have no sympathy for PCMusic and less so now. We donít reserve anything. Been our policy for 33 years. PCMusic knows this but constantly combines preorders with stock orders anyway. We make it very clear in every item we put up for preorder that these items should be ordered separately. No exceptions. If you do decide to combine preorders with an order for stock items you run the risk of losing titles. Its spelled out clearly.

Frankly preorders are a supreme pain in the tush but they have become a necessary evil for the business. We are a two person operation - limited staff and limited space. We donít reserve physical product for months. Tried it - was a nightmare. Since the start of the pandemic our business has increased significantly. We try to streamline the process to get orders out the door quickly and well packed.

Sorry you are so disappointed that you felt the need to come on a public forum and trash us instead of dealing with this privately.

Bottom line - we are doing the best we can. PCMusic the system we set up probably doesnít meet your needs but we thank you for your past patronage.

Ken Golden
    LaserCD
    www.lasercd.com

Generally speaking, PE does not condone dirty laundry threads on the forum. As said above, this should be handled/resolved between the parties and not on a public forum. We allow a few exceptions to this (some recent magazine threads) when problems are widespread and attempts to resolve fail. But these are exceptions.

Now that Ken is weighed in, I will close the thread shortly.

While I didn’t plan to arbitrate, I will say a few things since you’re “on my lawn”...

1. This was handled poorly by the OP. This subject could have been framed in the form of a question or exploratory discussion, not an airing of grievance.

2. It seems that customers who frequent Laser’s Edge know not to combine orders. There is a warning not to do this on every preorder description.

3. That said, unless I missed something (or there is an additional warning on checkout), it says combining orders will “delay processing”. This seems vague to me. The “shipping” link at the bottom of the website takes you to a terms and conditions page. And the FAQ page does not elaborate about combining orders. So perhaps this could be spelled out in more detail.

4. Furthermore some eCommerce sites do not charge at the point of sale but at the time of processing. Even though you are not supposed to combine preorders with in stock items on this website, it’s understandable that a customer would think that paying for an item up front ensures its security. “Delays processing” seems obvious in retrospect, but it could be construed as “you won’t get your items until your pre-order arrives” vs. “you risk losing the items because we won’t pull stock until your preorder arrives”. Anyway, some additional info in the FAQ could help mitigate further misunderstandings IMO.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I remember ordering from LE when it was a mail order catalog. Specifically, filling in my alternate selections in the event that titles disappeared before my order arrived/was processed.

LE isn't Amazon. We're damned lucky to have what few vendors we still have focusing on this scene.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

My only problem isnít with LE itself but the mail system. I had ordered a cd which went from vorhees to Trenton to Miami to Pennsylvania. Everything Iíve ordered from Ken has arrived fast until our pony express decided to take detours around the US

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Keep up the great work Ken, you are appreciated.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Never had a problem with LE. Awesome people. Great service.
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Agree 100%! Just to add a note regarding Ken's service. I have been a regular customer of Laser's Edge for many moons now. Without a doubt, Ken has sent me all my items ever ordered, without ever a hitch or hiccup, and EVERY SINGLE ORDER has made it to my home in absolute record time! Ken will always be a favorite online dealer, and THANK GOD he has remained in business throughout this horrific ordeal of a virus!!!

Ed
    -------------------------------------
    www.myriadtrio.com
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

Never had this problem, because I don't combine regular orders with pre-orders. In the past whenever I've had an issue with a Laser's Edge order (which has been very rare), I've emailed Ken directly and he resolved the matter -- which I appreciate, and it's one of the reasons I continue to shop there.

Posting about issues on a public forum like this is not the way to handle it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Just wanted to point out that even living in Canada, my shipments from LE have been delivered without a glitch, excellent service.

I have always avoided the pre-orders precisely to not falling into the mixed order train. And besides, LE gives you loyalty dollar points you will never get from Amazon who is far richer and greedier!

And I'd like to thank Ken for providing pre-orders, too--especially for items like the Jethro Tull boxes that have a tendency to go OOP quickly.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    I order from LaserCD all the time and have never had a problem (including many pre-orders). They are *very clear* about combining other orders with pre-orders so I'd definitely say if you do so it's at your own risk. The automation on the site seems to be pretty minimal and I suspect the order fulfillment is mostly manual. I very much doubt they have the ability to set aside other items from pre-orders to ship along with them once they are released. My guess would be whatever else you ordered went out of stock before the pre-order was available and their only option was to give you a refund. They can't send you want they don't have.
    This.

I am a long-time, happy customer with LE. I have done a few pre-orders and followed their instructions not to combine the pre-order with other stuff. So I don't. And also (to the OP), if you have an issue, just reach out to them directly instead of trashing the business publicly. Ken is quick to respond and I'm sure would make things clearer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Just wanted to point out that even living in Canada, my shipments from LE have been delivered without a glitch, excellent service.
    Always. And so fast! If it ships on a Monday, I've got it on Friday, and that's very good, especially these days.

It's a bit beyond the pale to call out such a respectable (and respected) vendor in this manner.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I do a lot of orders with boutique blu-ray places and in every instance, in-stock items are reserved and shipped with pre-orders.
    I understand Ken's position, but he needs to specifically state in his terms that in-stock items are not reserved when combined with pre-orders. Should take less than 5 minutes to update terms on the website and problem is solved.
    --Peter

Peter that's very good advice. I will update the FAQs. Not sure anyone actually reads FAQs but its worth putting up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    I do a lot of orders with boutique blu-ray places and in every instance, in-stock items are reserved and shipped with pre-orders.
    I understand Ken's position, but he needs to specifically state in his terms that in-stock items are not reserved when combined with pre-orders. Should take less than 5 minutes to update terms on the website and problem is solved.
    --Peter
    Thank you Peter, this is exactly what I was postulating. Putting a note, a sentence (with the pre-order items) to the fact that the items are not reserved even if paid for. This would clear out all of the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Peter that's very good advice. I will update the FAQs. Not sure anyone actually reads FAQs but its worth putting up there.
    I am sure only few reads the FAQs but, as I posted to Peter, if you add to your pre-orders a note (few words) that the titles are not reserved it would make it clear. Stating that it delays the processing does't do it ... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I always love anonymous posts like this. Very classy.

Honestly I have no sympathy for PCMusic and less so now. We don’t reserve anything. Been our policy for 33 years. PCMusic knows this but constantly combines preorders with stock orders anyway. We make it very clear in every item we put up for preorder that these items should be ordered separately. No exceptions. If you do decide to combine preorders with an order for stock items you run the risk of losing titles. Its spelled out clearly.

Frankly preorders are a supreme pain in the tush but they have become a necessary evil for the business. We are a two person operation - limited staff and limited space. We don’t reserve physical product for months. Tried it - was a nightmare. Since the start of the pandemic our business has increased significantly. We try to streamline the process to get orders out the door quickly and well packed.

Sorry you are so disappointed that you felt the need to come on a public forum and trash us instead of dealing with this privately.

Bottom line - we are doing the best we can. PCMusic the system we set up probably doesn’t meet your needs but we thank you for your past patronage.

Ken Golden
    LaserCD
    www.lasercd.com
    Certainly I am not anonymous to you Ken. You clearly say it and I was sure that if you want you can figure it out. The post was not meant to be trashing you and the website, after all I am frequent a customer and on the most parts happy with the service ... that is until last night. It seems I have not combined enough times pre-orders with regular items to observe with some regularity the missing stock items from the orders. Admittedly I was clearly upset about the missing titles, since I have been waiting for these for quite a long time.

Hopefully this will work for some good for everyone, customers and Laser CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Generally speaking, PE does not condone dirty laundry threads on the forum. As said above, this should be handled/resolved between the parties and not on a public forum. We allow a few exceptions to this (some recent magazine threads) when problems are widespread and attempts to resolve fail. But these are exceptions.

Now that Ken is weighed in, I will close the thread shortly.

While I didn’t plan to arbitrate, I will say a few things since you’re “on my lawn”...

1. This was handled poorly by the OP. This subject could have been framed in the form of a question or exploratory discussion, not an airing of grievance.

2. It seems that customers who frequent Laser’s Edge know not to combine orders. There is a warning not to do this on every preorder description.

3. That said, unless I missed something (or there is an additional warning on checkout), it says combining orders will “delay processing”. This seems vague to me. The “shipping” link at the bottom of the website takes you to a terms and conditions page. And the FAQ page does not elaborate about combining orders. So perhaps this could be spelled out in more detail.

4. Furthermore some eCommerce sites do not charge at the point of sale but at the time of processing. Even though you are not supposed to combine preorders with in stock items on this website, it’s understandable that a customer would think that paying for an item up front ensures its security. “Delays processing” seems obvious in retrospect, but it could be construed as “you won’t get your items until your pre-order arrives” vs. “you risk losing the items because we won’t pull stock until your preorder arrives”. Anyway, some additional info in the FAQ could help mitigate further misunderstandings IMO.
    Thank you for looking into it objectively and exactly pointing out to why someone could be mislead, not intentionally I presume, but nevertheless. And yes, in retrospect, I should have posted differently and ask others of their experiences ... but hopefully it will help for a better experience shopping at Laser CD knowing what to expect with pre-orders