Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Footage - Genesis Live in Bataclan France

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

New Footage - Genesis Live in Bataclan France

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Pretty Cool, eh?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Yes very cool!

Definitely cool, not new though. Had this Bataclan footage for many years, although I don't think it's ever looked or sounded so good.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

That was quite nice. Even got to see 30 seconds of Steve playing the guitar.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Yeah, just finished watching it, Prog Magazine had a story on this with a link earlier today; poor Steve... No respect, I tell ya!

Look carefully peops...this is much more than just cleaner footage. THE MUSICAL BOX IS COMPLETE!!! Most other versions I've seen start with "BATACLAN..." flashing across the screen and TMB starts about 4+ mins in...beginning cut. Is this the first time it is available complete? However, still too bad that Supper's Ready is incomplete. Also this version has the interview footage at the end.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Look carefully peops...this is much more than just cleaner footage. THE MUSICAL BOX IS COMPLETE!!! Most other versions I've seen start with "BATACLAN..." flashing across the screen and TMB starts about 4+ mins in...beginning cut. Is this the first time it is available complete? However, still too bad that Supper's Ready is incomplete. Also this version has the interview footage at the end.
    my thoughts exactly... I just sampled and ffwd through it and I'd never seen so clean and complete

will watch it thoroughly tonite at home
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Guide to 1970s Rock Music Camerawork:

Try to show the lead singer as much as possible even during instrumental sections.
    When the keyboardist is playing, show the drummer.
    When the guitarist is playing, show the keyboardist.
    When the above is not possible, show the guitar player who's strumming.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

I just saw this today, too. It looks fantastic, and apparently a 4K version is even being uploaded.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post

Try to show the lead singer as much as possible even during instrumental sections.
    Good one!

neil

Wow. Someone worked hard on this. Outstanding!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post

And if there's an instrumental section featuring the drummer and an all-star guest drummer, by all means superimpose some old silent movie footage instead of showing it.

Man, were these guys too cool for the planet, or what?!?

Looks like it was filmed last week. Great job on this.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Super stuff. Only gripes are (a) the almost total disinterest in filming Hackett; (b) the tendency to stop filming when it really gets going instrumentally. The film crew seems interested in Gabriel at the expense of the others. Not uncommon. Still, great footage, and cool to see a lot of previously unseen extras. Evidently access was provided to the original reels and tapes. I hope other Pop 2 footage will be given this treatment.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Look carefully peops...this is much more than just cleaner footage. THE MUSICAL BOX IS COMPLETE!!! Most other versions I've seen start with "BATACLAN..." flashing across the screen and TMB starts about 4+ mins in...beginning cut.
    Very true, I totally should have noticed that! Still amazed at the improvement in quality, I don't know how these guys do this stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Very true, I totally should have noticed that! Still amazed at the improvement in quality, I don't know how these guys do this stuff.
    You just use a feather duster on the tapes and they come out like new again.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The 4K is brilliant.

I've had this video for over 20 years. This update is ASTONISHING.

Like the Beatles, they wear the same coats.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Exceptional quality, thanks, and real menace at the end of The Knife.

Those were the days, eh, when patrons could smoke inside a theatre. Actually, those were the days when patrons were actually allowed in a bloody theatre!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And if there's an instrumental section featuring the drummer and an all-star guest drummer, by all means superimpose some old silent movie footage instead of showing it.
    LOLOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    At least we were spared the fast zooming in and out effect.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Super stuff. Only gripes are (a) the almost total disinterest in filming Hackett; (b) the tendency to stop filming when it really gets going instrumentally. The film crew seems interested in Gabriel at the expense of the others. Not uncommon.
    Not at all......

BUT, SERIOUSLY, given that concert filming was in its infancy on both of these, I would call them both amazing and entertaining footage.....
    Last edited by Steve F.; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:19 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.